Alma Wharf - Yarra River

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Hi, just been down for a pedal along the Yarra and spotted a landslide right on the Alma Wharf. This area is the small wooden decking on the river bank just south of the Walmer Bridge, past the ramp (ie: top of Burnley Street Richmond). Hazard tape & barriers have been put up by the Yarra council, but people are still riding/walking through. If you want to ride past, that's entirely at your risk, please take care. Much bluestone, timber and dirt.

Question, hasn't work been carried out here previously, ie: it was/is a cyclist accident spot, with a corner removed, and problems with surfaces on the path/decking? Any information would be greatly appreciated so further action can be taken.

cfsmtb wrote:
> Hi, just been down for a pedal along the Yarra and spotted a landslide
> right on the Alma Wharf. This area is the small wooden decking on the
> river bank just south of the Walmer Bridge, past the ramp (ie: top of
> Burnley Street Richmond). Hazard tape & barriers have been put up by
> the Yarra council, but people are still riding/walking through. If you
> want to ride past, that's entirely at your risk, please take care.
> Much bluestone, timber and dirt.

Looks like the building above the section of the wooden retaining wall that collapsed is under construction or redevelopment. Related?

> Question, hasn't work been carried out here previously, ie: it was/is
> a cyclist accident spot, with a corner removed, and problems with
> surfaces on the path/decking? Any information would be greatly
> appreciated so further action can be taken.

There was a slow, slightly blind, left corner as you came off the wharf with the river on your right. The path narrowed as it went round the left corner. Not ideal with all the walkers AND riders who treat the paths as exclusive, rather than shared use, taking up the whole width as they weave along. They cut the embankment back a bit to widen the corner, and put up 'Slow' signs a while later... Not as pretty as it was with overhanging foliage, but definitely more room and visibility. I prefered it before the widening, you just had to take a bit of care.

I caught this on the way into work this morning. I noticed they completely closed the path now because of it – I still rode through it though. They hadn’t done anything about it, the white/orange tape still holding it all together.

I don’t know. It seems that all sorts of dangerous footpaths around the place, but that bike path gets closed off at a drop of a hat. Has there been lots of fatalities there in the past?

Lots of bikes this morning, best morning to turn the pedals, definitely.

Marx SS wrote:
> I caught this on the way into work this morning. I noticed they
> completely closed the path now because of it - I still rode through it
> though. They hadn't done anything about it, the white/orange tape
> still holding it all together.
>
> I don't know. It seems that all sorts of dangerous footpaths around
> the place, but that bike path gets closed off at a drop of a hat. Has
> there been lots of fatalities there in the past?

I guess their lawyers have said there's a tiny chance the whole embankment and building will come down, so close the path and divert people on to the road, where casualties are socially acceptable.