almond "flour"

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lass Chance, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Lass Chance

    Lass Chance Guest

    Im hot to make a flourless cake that calls for almond "flour". Should
    the almonds be toasted in a dry skillet, before grinding in the
    processor?

    LassChance

    Start LC~5-16-05
    202-188-165

    Tags:

  2. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Lass Chance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Im hot to make a flourless cake that calls for almond "flour". Should
    > the almonds be toasted in a dry skillet, before grinding in the
    > processor?

    I use them as-is - either raw or blanched. Just be careful not to
    over-process, although you'll still have a very good and usable result:
    almond butter :).

    --
    Sherry
    364/320/195

  3. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    "let them eat cake." -NOT

    I have come to strongly suspect that eating simulated carb foods (like bread
    or cake) patterns a dieter for a return to real carbs and failure.

    There are many true low carbs foods. One should learn to find satisfaction
    within that range. Thus, one may be part of the 5% who succeed and
    maintain.

    Cubit
    311/169.0/165

    "Lass Chance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Im hot to make a flourless cake that calls for almond "flour". Should
    > the almonds be toasted in a dry skillet, before grinding in the
    > processor?
    >
    > LassChance
    >

    > Start LC~5-16-05
    > 202-188-165

  4. Lass Chance

    Lass Chance Guest

    OH! Wow. Im glad you told me that. LOL....yeah, I can see myself giving
    it "one more" pulse....and having a big gob of goo instead of "flour".

    OK---Im going in.....wish me luck.

    Start LC~5-16-05
    202-188-165

  5. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "let them eat cake." -NOT
    >
    > I have come to strongly suspect that eating simulated carb foods (like

    bread
    > or cake) patterns a dieter for a return to real carbs and failure.
    >
    > There are many true low carbs foods. One should learn to find

    satisfaction
    > within that range. Thus, one may be part of the 5% who succeed and
    > maintain.

    Isn't almond a true low carb food?

    Just thinking - what is a low carb recipe, if not a combination of certain
    low carb foods to make up other low carb foods? Does it matter whether
    you're combining them into a cake or into a salad? Or are you saying we
    should only have foods that don't tickle certain taste buds?

    I use almond meal in several dishes - whether it's cookies or fish or
    what...still low carb, still a source of calcium, EFAs, Vit.E...I guess I
    fail to see what the problem is here...thanks :).
    --
    Sherry
    364/320/195
    low carb since 4/4/05
    NEW - My Low Carb site: http://lowcarb.owly.net

  6. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to eating carbs
    and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to return to
    eating bread and cake?

    "Sherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "let them eat cake." -NOT
    > >
    > > I have come to strongly suspect that eating simulated carb foods (like

    > bread
    > > or cake) patterns a dieter for a return to real carbs and failure.
    > >
    > > There are many true low carbs foods. One should learn to find

    > satisfaction
    > > within that range. Thus, one may be part of the 5% who succeed and
    > > maintain.

    > Isn't almond a true low carb food?
    >
    > Just thinking - what is a low carb recipe, if not a combination of certain
    > low carb foods to make up other low carb foods? Does it matter whether
    > you're combining them into a cake or into a salad? Or are you saying we
    > should only have foods that don't tickle certain taste buds?
    >
    > I use almond meal in several dishes - whether it's cookies or fish or
    > what...still low carb, still a source of calcium, EFAs, Vit.E...I guess I
    > fail to see what the problem is here...thanks :).
    > --
    > Sherry
    > 364/320/195
    > low carb since 4/4/05
    > NEW - My Low Carb site: http://lowcarb.owly.net

  7. Tori M.

    Tori M. Guest

    > I use almond meal in several dishes - whether it's cookies or fish or
    > what...still low carb, still a source of calcium, EFAs, Vit.E...I guess I
    > fail to see what the problem is here...thanks :).
    > --

    Yeah I have a friend who makes several very good things using almond flour.
    I dont find it to be a trigger food. It was nice having the almond flour
    wraps for the chicken salad she made!

    Tori

    --
    Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
    stand right here"

  8. rich

    rich Guest

    "Tori M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Yeah I have a friend who makes several very good things using almond
    > flour. I dont find it to be a trigger food. It was nice having the almond
    > flour wraps for the chicken salad she made!

    Do you have the recipe for the wraps?

    Rich

  9. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Cubit wrote:
    :: An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to eating
    :: carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to
    :: return to eating bread and cake?

    An amazing number of low faters who have made goal go on to eating carbs and
    regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to return to eating
    bread and cake?

    ::
    ::
    :: "Sherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :: news:[email protected]
    ::: "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ::: news:[email protected]
    :::: "let them eat cake." -NOT
    ::::
    :::: I have come to strongly suspect that eating simulated carb foods
    :::: (like bread or cake) patterns a dieter for a return to real carbs
    :::: and failure.
    ::::
    :::: There are many true low carbs foods. One should learn to find
    :::: satisfaction within that range. Thus, one may be part of the 5%
    :::: who succeed and maintain.
    :::
    ::: Isn't almond a true low carb food?
    :::
    ::: Just thinking - what is a low carb recipe, if not a combination of
    ::: certain low carb foods to make up other low carb foods? Does it
    ::: matter whether you're combining them into a cake or into a salad?
    ::: Or are you saying we should only have foods that don't tickle
    ::: certain taste buds?
    :::
    ::: I use almond meal in several dishes - whether it's cookies or fish
    ::: or what...still low carb, still a source of calcium, EFAs,
    ::: Vit.E...I guess I fail to see what the problem is here...thanks :).
    ::: --
    ::: Sherry
    ::: 364/320/195
    ::: low carb since 4/4/05
    ::: NEW - My Low Carb site: http://lowcarb.owly.net

  10. Tori M.

    Tori M. Guest

    Actualy I do.. This is actualy her recipe for egg noodles but she said she
    added more almond flour to it to make it work for a wrap.

    4 eggs
    1 TBS water
    1/2- 3/4c. flour (almond)

    Beat the eggs and water together then add the almond flour. Fry on
    med-low stove cooking through. Makes 10-12 noodles at 4-6".

    As a noodle they work for lasagna.

    Tori

    --
    Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
    stand right here"
    Bonnie 3/02 "No Xayur thats my blankie"
    349.5/321/135
    "rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Tori M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Yeah I have a friend who makes several very good things using almond
    >> flour. I dont find it to be a trigger food. It was nice having the
    >> almond flour wraps for the chicken salad she made!

    > Do you have the recipe for the wraps?
    >
    > Rich

  11. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Perhaps because they haven't found satisfying substitutes. If I want
    something, not ever having it only makes me want it more. Having a similar
    substitute can satisfy my longing.

    In news:[email protected],
    Cubit <[email protected]> stated

  12. Cubit wrote:

    > "let them eat cake." -NOT
    >
    > I have come to strongly suspect that eating simulated carb foods (like bread
    > or cake) patterns a dieter for a return to real carbs and failure.
    >
    > There are many true low carbs foods. One should learn to find satisfaction
    > within that range. Thus, one may be part of the 5% who succeed and
    > maintain.

    I'm usually hard core about psychological tricks that
    feed an addiction, but where is the boundary for you?

    Almonds are low carb to almost anyone but you don't
    like making a cake from almond (with artificial
    sweetener to make it sweet, right?) because it feeds
    an addiction towards cake. Is this too much like
    giving an alcoholic a near beer in your opinion?

    How about "fautatoes" made by mashing cauliflower
    and maybe adding some cheese or cream? It only uses
    foods from the core Induction lists so is it a bad
    idea as well?

    I'm more inclined to think that the problem with a
    cake made from almond flour is the artificial sweetener
    and how it keeps the sweet tooth active than the
    richening effect of the almonds. Rich can imply low
    carb when done right and rich foods could make a
    reasonable replacement that doesn't end up a
    psychological trick. Almond butter low carb, snacks
    made from almond butter okay. Almond paste sugared
    high carb, almond paste with AS a trick, snacks made
    from almond paste with AS worry me about a slippery
    slope towards going back to real sugar.

    And yet how much of my worrying about artificial
    sweeteners is nonsense while I average a diet soda
    every other day? When I've gone through months on
    end without diet sodas my sweet tooth did get
    steadily smaller but even some diet sodas, shrug.

  13. Tori M.

    Tori M. Guest

    "FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Perhaps because they haven't found satisfying substitutes. If I want
    > something, not ever having it only makes me want it more. Having a
    > similar
    > substitute can satisfy my longing.

    *nod* actualy I have found that some subs. are better then the real thing to
    me now.. I almost can not stand the taste of reg vanilla icecream anymore.

    Tori

    --
    Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
    stand right here"
    Bonnie 3/02 "No Xayur thats my blankie"
    349.5/321/135

  14. None Given

    None Given Guest

    "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to eating carbs
    > and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to return to
    > eating bread and cake?

    Because they were on a diet instead of a WOE?

    --
    No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

  15. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > OH! Wow. Im glad you told me that. LOL....yeah, I can see myself giving
    > it "one more" pulse....and having a big gob of goo instead of "flour".
    >
    > OK---Im going in.....wish me luck.

    If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, you can buy Almond Flour there in the
    nut aisle. I also like hazelnut flour.

    --
    Saffire
    205/137/125

  16. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Doug Freyburger wrote:
    :: Cubit wrote:
    :::
    ::: "let them eat cake." -NOT
    :::
    ::: I have come to strongly suspect that eating simulated carb foods
    ::: (like bread or cake) patterns a dieter for a return to real carbs
    ::: and failure.
    :::
    ::: There are many true low carbs foods. One should learn to find
    ::: satisfaction within that range. Thus, one may be part of the 5%
    ::: who succeed and maintain.
    ::
    :: I'm usually hard core about psychological tricks that
    :: feed an addiction, but where is the boundary for you?
    ::
    :: Almonds are low carb to almost anyone but you don't
    :: like making a cake from almond (with artificial
    :: sweetener to make it sweet, right?) because it feeds
    :: an addiction towards cake. Is this too much like
    :: giving an alcoholic a near beer in your opinion?

    Apparently so. Although LC ice cream is just fine, as are other items he
    eats that use liquid splenda syrup.

    ::
    :: How about "fautatoes" made by mashing cauliflower
    :: and maybe adding some cheese or cream? It only uses
    :: foods from the core Induction lists so is it a bad
    :: idea as well?
    ::
    :: I'm more inclined to think that the problem with a
    :: cake made from almond flour is the artificial sweetener
    :: and how it keeps the sweet tooth active than the
    :: richening effect of the almonds.

    But that can't be Cubit's objection. As he eats AS...

    :: Rich can imply low
    :: carb when done right and rich foods could make a
    :: reasonable replacement that doesn't end up a
    :: psychological trick. Almond butter low carb, snacks
    :: made from almond butter okay. Almond paste sugared
    :: high carb, almond paste with AS a trick, snacks made
    :: from almond paste with AS worry me about a slippery
    :: slope towards going back to real sugar.

    Why go back to real sugar when you have a good subst?

    The only real problem I see is eating too much of the substitute food.
    That's a real problem with things that taste sweet. LC ice cream fits that
    bill just as LC cake does.

    IMO, the reason people backslide is because they forget that no matter how
    thin (I hate that term) they are, they still carry around a fat person
    inside. The same demons they had are still there, just controlled. Those of
    us who were once really fat must remember that we must always fight the
    battle. Some people just assume they have control and quit the struggle.
    And they regain the weight because they are no longer trying to control it.
    Slowly but surely. As a LCer, my plan is to always be a LCer and to always
    fight the battle. So while I might have some cake, that will never signal a
    return to eating high carb as a way of life. While I may on occasion
    overeat, it will never become the rule rather than the exception. Also,
    weight maintenance will always be an issue for me, and the demons are only
    locked down, not vanquished.

    IMO, the problem is what and how people think.

    ::
    :: And yet how much of my worrying about artificial
    :: sweeteners is nonsense while I average a diet soda
    :: every other day? When I've gone through months on
    :: end without diet sodas my sweet tooth did get
    :: steadily smaller but even some diet sodas, shrug.

  17. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to eating carbs
    > and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to return to
    > eating bread and cake?

    I can't answer that...I don't know why they go back to eating carbs and
    regaining weight...but I'm not seeing the connection between making low carb
    recipes and returning to eating high carb foods.

    I probably sound argumentative eh? Especially considering that so many
    people on usenet seem to be...but I'm new and you're old <G> and that's why
    I'm pressing for an answer to my question :).

    --
    Sherry
    364/320/195
    low carb since 4/4/05
    NEW - My Low Carb site: http://lowcarb.owly.net

  18. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Sherry wrote:
    :: "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :: news:[email protected]
    ::: An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to eating
    ::: carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick
    ::: to return to eating bread and cake?
    ::
    :: I can't answer that...I don't know why they go back to eating carbs
    :: and regaining weight...but I'm not seeing the connection between
    :: making low carb recipes and returning to eating high carb foods.

    The question make no sense coming from someone who eats ice cream!

  19. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/29/2005 11:00:20 AM, Roger Zoul wrote:

    > Cubit wrote:
    >:: An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to eating
    >:: carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to
    >:: return to eating bread and cake?
    >
    > An amazing number of low faters who have made goal go on to eating
    > carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to
    > return to eating bread and cake?

    Because bread and cake taste incredibly good?
    --
    "Ah. The searing kiss of hot lead; how I missed you.
    I mean, I think I'm dying."

    Now playing: "Adrian Belew - Walk Around the World"

  20. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    ::: Cubit wrote:
    ::::: An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to
    ::::: eating carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they
    ::::: so quick to return to eating bread and cake?
    :::
    ::: An amazing number of low faters who have made goal go on to eating
    ::: carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to
    ::: return to eating bread and cake?
    ::
    :: Because bread and cake taste incredibly good?

    Yeah, there's that!