almond "flour"

Well, if artificially sweetened things are as satisfying as those containing
sugar I don't know why one would be tempted to switch to sugar.

In news:[email protected],
Doug Freyburger <[email protected]> stated

FOB wrote:

> Well, if artificially sweetened things are as satisfying as those containing
> sugar I don't know why one would be tempted to switch to sugar.

If they are just as satisfying then they are "the same".
That can lead to thoughts that the ones with real sugar
aren't that bad after all. A false feeling of immunity.
Not good for a sugar addict to head down that slippery
slope. Folks sure they are not sugar addicts, go for
that cake. Folks not sure, go in with your eyes open
knowing that it's been the downfall of some others.

"Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> FOB wrote:
>>
>> Well, if artificially sweetened things are as satisfying as those
>> containing
>> sugar I don't know why one would be tempted to switch to sugar.

> If they are just as satisfying then they are "the same".
> That can lead to thoughts that the ones with real sugar
> aren't that bad after all. A false feeling of immunity.
> Not good for a sugar addict to head down that slippery
> slope. Folks sure they are not sugar addicts, go for
> that cake. Folks not sure, go in with your eyes open
> knowing that it's been the downfall of some others.

You are not distinguishing between a psychological response and a
physiological response. Real Sugar and additional simple carbs will produce
a different insulin response. Atkin's priority was to manage the insulin
response.

Sid

Just buy some almond flour already ground, make that damn cake, and
forget about all the negative comments. It never ceases to amaze me
how a simple cooking question has to turn into a diatribe about the
supposed evils of a particular food. If you don;t want to eat almond
cake, just shut up.

sprudil wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > FOB wrote:

> >> Well, if artificially sweetened things are as satisfying as those
> >> containing
> >> sugar I don't know why one would be tempted to switch to sugar.

> > If they are just as satisfying then they are "the same".
> > That can lead to thoughts that the ones with real sugar
> > aren't that bad after all. A false feeling of immunity.

> You are not distinguishing between a psychological response and a
> physiological response.

Sure I am. The psychological response to eating a sweet
cake can tempt folks to eat a real one ...

> Real Sugar and additional simple carbs will produce
> a different insulin response.

And bingo you could end up diving into a binge.

> Atkin's priority was to manage the insulin response.

Right. Which means that Atkins ignored psychological
aspects. As such the topic exceeds the parameters of
the Atkins process.

Trader suggests just buying premade almond flour and
making the cake. Since I view the risks to be 1) using
artificial sweetener which Trader didn't mention, and
2) not thinking about the risk of eating cake which
this thread handled, I agree with Trader. Who'd thunk. ;^)

Cake is how you got fat in the first place.

--
Now ********. You cannot possibly be this stupid and remember to
breathe. You must be trolling. -- Carmen

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just buy some almond flour already ground, make that damn cake, and
> forget about all the negative comments. It never ceases to amaze me
> how a simple cooking question has to turn into a diatribe about the
> supposed evils of a particular food. If you don;t want to eat almond
> cake, just shut up.

x-no-archive: yes

Cubit wrote:
> An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to eating carbs
> and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to return to
> eating bread and cake?

Maybe for the same reasons that other folks on all sorts of diets regain?

Losing weight and keeping it off is very hard to do, on any plan.

Susan

Doug Freyburger wrote:
:: sprudil wrote:
::: Doug Freyburger wrote:
:::: FOB wrote:
:::
::::: Well, if artificially sweetened things are as satisfying as those
::::: containing
::::: sugar I don't know why one would be tempted to switch to sugar.
:::
:::: If they are just as satisfying then they are "the same".
:::: That can lead to thoughts that the ones with real sugar
:::: aren't that bad after all. A false feeling of immunity.
:::
::: You are not distinguishing between a psychological response and a
::: physiological response.
::
:: Sure I am. The psychological response to eating a sweet
:: cake can tempt folks to eat a real one ...

Why is that? If the one with AS is a good substitute, why bother with the
real one? You're daydreaming, now.

::
::: Real Sugar and additional simple carbs will produce
::: a different insulin response.
::
:: And bingo you could end up diving into a binge.

Not if you avoid the simple carbs in the first place.

::
::: Atkin's priority was to manage the insulin response.
::
:: Right. Which means that Atkins ignored psychological
:: aspects. As such the topic exceeds the parameters of
:: the Atkins process.

I disgree with your "psycholigical aspects."

::
:: Trader suggests just buying premade almond flour and
:: making the cake. Since I view the risks to be 1) using
:: artificial sweetener which Trader didn't mention, and
:: 2) not thinking about the risk of eating cake which
:: this thread handled, I agree with Trader. Who'd thunk. ;^)

Again, this thread doesn't make sense. These threads never do. Eating fake
cake doesn't lead one back down the path to weight gain, because fake cake
isn't cake. How else could Cubit and others lose so much weight if eating
fake ice cream were the same as eating real ice cream? Also, if Cubit and
others didn't limit the amount of fake ice cream eaten, then Cubit and
others wouldn't have been successful. Hence, success isn't so much in what
you call what you eat as it is in paying attention to the types of foods you
eat and keeping the focus on remaining not fat. Bury your head in a hole
and you're get fat again. Don't and you won't.

On 6/29/2005 2:04:39 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> Just buy some almond flour already ground, make that damn cake, and
> forget about all the negative comments. It never ceases to amaze me
> how a simple cooking question has to turn into a diatribe about the
> supposed evils of a particular food.

Hey, that's what happens with any religious discussion.
(And many people DO treat this as a religion.)
--
If you're in a vehicle going the speed of light, what happens when you
turn on the headlights?

Now playing: "King's X - Legal Kill"

"Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> sprudil wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> > If they are just as satisfying then they are "the same".
>> > That can lead to thoughts that the ones with real sugar
>> > aren't that bad after all. A false feeling of immunity.

>> You are not distinguishing between a psychological response and a
>> physiological response.

> Sure I am. The psychological response to eating a sweet
> cake can tempt folks to eat a real one ...

Not everyone suffers from an adverse psychological response. They find as
long as they are eating in a manner that controls their insulin response
they simply don't have the carb induced cravings.

>> Real Sugar and additional simple carbs will produce
>> a different insulin response.

> And bingo you could end up diving into a binge.

Not for me. My responses are mainly physiological. I expect that is true
for most people. I don't have the same reactions to a diet soda as opposed
to a sugared one or to a polydextrose/splenda almond cookie to a sugar and
flour one. Most of the subs I can take or leave it for that reason.

>> Atkin's priority was to manage the insulin response.

> Right. Which means that Atkins ignored psychological
> aspects. As such the topic exceeds the parameters of
> the Atkins process.

Not true at all. Adding foods in increments helped you find trigger foods.
The response could have been physical or psychological. You would find its
effects on you and learn to omit it if it caused inordinate cravings.

Sid...

I hear you, Cubit. I actually had the semi-sweet chocolate chip bag in
my hand.

IN my hand, man!!!!

Ive been jonesing for chocolate cake several days, sporadically.

I didnt buy the chips. Gimme a "Hallelujah".

LassChance

Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

Sherry---it isnt so much about the carbs. It's the psychological trigger
of chocolate cake, (chocolate CAKE!) waking up the Sleeping Pastry
Dragon.

pretty scary.

Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

How do you make the wraps? Just....the "flour" and water, like a
tortilla? or wha? Sounds wonderful.

LassChance

Re: almond "flour"

Group: alt.support.diet.low-carb Date: Wed, Jun 29, 2005, 12:30pm
(EDT-1) From: [email protected] (Tori M.)
I use almond meal in several dishes - whether it's cookies or fish or
what...still low carb, still a source of calcium, EFAs, Vit.E...I guess
I fail to see what the problem is here...thanks :).
--
Yeah I have a friend who makes several very good things using almond
flour. I dont find it to be a trigger food. It was nice having the

Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

I posted the recipe for Rich. It is like a crepe really but they are
wonderful!

Tori

--
Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
stand right here"
Bonnie 3/02 "No Xayur thats my blankie"
349.5/321/135
"Lass Chance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
How do you make the wraps? Just....the "flour" and water, like a
tortilla? or wha? Sounds wonderful.

LassChance

Re: almond "flour"

Group: alt.support.diet.low-carb Date: Wed, Jun 29, 2005, 12:30pm
(EDT-1) From: [email protected] (Tori M.)
I use almond meal in several dishes - whether it's cookies or fish or
what...still low carb, still a source of calcium, EFAs, Vit.E...I guess
I fail to see what the problem is here...thanks :).
--
Yeah I have a friend who makes several very good things using almond
flour. I dont find it to be a trigger food. It was nice having the
almond flour wraps for the chicken salad she made!
Tori
--
Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
stand right here"
Bonnie 3/02 "No Xayur thats my blankie" 349.5/321/135

Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

"Lass Chance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sherry---it isnt so much about the carbs. It's the psychological trigger
> of chocolate cake, (chocolate CAKE!) waking up the Sleeping Pastry
> Dragon.
>
> pretty scary.

oic...I think my pastry dragon is in a coma at the moment because I wanted
chocolate one day a few weeks ago, so I counted out 30 semisweet chips and
60 dry roasted peanuts, and ate them - 2 nuts with a chip - spread out over
an entire episode of House Hunters and the dragon didn't flinch but we never
know when he'll wake...
--
Sherry
364/320/195

says...
> IMO, the reason people backslide is because they forget that no matter how
> thin (I hate that term) they are, they still carry around a fat person
> inside. The same demons they had are still there, just controlled. Those of
> us who were once really fat must remember that we must always fight the
> battle. Some people just assume they have control and quit the struggle.
> And they regain the weight because they are no longer trying to control it.
> Slowly but surely. As a LCer, my plan is to always be a LCer and to always
> fight the battle. So while I might have some cake, that will never signal a
> return to eating high carb as a way of life. While I may on occasion
> overeat, it will never become the rule rather than the exception. Also,
> weight maintenance will always be an issue for me, and the demons are only
> locked down, not vanquished.
>
> IMO, the problem is what and how people think.

ITA! My problem before was always that I turned a blind eye to the way
I was eating -- sometimes it was such a blind eye that I practically
poked my eye out in a deliberate effort not to "see" the way I was
eating -- I knew it was bad (only now do I realize just HOW bad it was,
now that I have a GOOD frame of reference for comparison), but I refused
to confront it and couldn't seem to stop myself. Whenever I made a
conscious effort to lose weight or change my way of eating, it was
always a temporary thing (even the anti-micotoxin diet I was on for
about 2 years back around 1995, which was not for losing weight in any
case -- losing weight was just a side-effect because my choices were so
severely restricted -- then one day I allowed myself to have a piece of
Sees candy and began my biggest slide into obesity to date) and
everything was a constant temptation. Now I'm not tempted because *I*
am in control, I feel good and eat well, and I know too much about what
and how I eat to ever turn that desperately blind eye again.

--
Saffire
205/137/125

says...
> On 6/29/2005 11:00:20 AM, Roger Zoul wrote:
>
> > Cubit wrote:
> >:: An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to eating
> >:: carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to
> >:: return to eating bread and cake?
> >
> > An amazing number of low faters who have made goal go on to eating
> > carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to
> > return to eating bread and cake?

> Because bread and cake taste incredibly good?

I've never been much of a cake eater and can take it or leave it. I've
always been more of a cookie monster :)

--
Saffire
205/137/125

Saffire wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: [email protected] says...
:::: Cubit wrote:
:::::: An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to
:::::: eating carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they
:::::: so quick to return to eating bread and cake?
::::
:::: An amazing number of low faters who have made goal go on to eating
:::: carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to
:::: return to eating bread and cake?
:::
::: Because bread and cake taste incredibly good?
::
:: I've never been much of a cake eater and can take it or leave it.
:: I've always been more of a cookie monster :)

I have been almost every kind of "monster" there is, regarding carby foods.
In college I was known for stealing my buddies cookies. But cake, pie,
chips, ice cream, candy, etc, were all things I could turn into a "monster"
for. Only after I went LC did I learn that i'm a nut monster, too.

I'm convince that nuts are one of nature's treats. The problem I have with
them is due in part to the fact that I can get them in unnatural
quantities. Combine that with my inner demon and the nut monster is freed.

Funny....I've never been one to overeat fruit, veggies, meat, fish, fowl,
dairy, etc. I can overeat carby stuff and nuts.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Saffire wrote:
> :: In article <[email protected]>,
> :: [email protected] says...
> ::: On 6/29/2005 11:00:20 AM, Roger Zoul wrote:
> :::
> :::: Cubit wrote:
> :::::: An amazing number of low carbers who have made goal go on to
> :::::: eating carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they
> :::::: so quick to return to eating bread and cake?
> ::::
> :::: An amazing number of low faters who have made goal go on to eating
> :::: carbs and regaining the weight, and more. Why are they so quick to
> :::: return to eating bread and cake?
> :::
> ::: Because bread and cake taste incredibly good?
> ::
> :: I've never been much of a cake eater and can take it or leave it.
> :: I've always been more of a cookie monster :)
>
> I have been almost every kind of "monster" there is, regarding carby foods.
> In college I was known for stealing my buddies cookies. But cake, pie,
> chips, ice cream, candy, etc, were all things I could turn into a "monster"
> for. Only after I went LC did I learn that i'm a nut monster, too.
>
> I'm convince that nuts are one of nature's treats. The problem I have with
> them is due in part to the fact that I can get them in unnatural
> quantities. Combine that with my inner demon and the nut monster is freed.

Hi Roger!

I break those "unnatural quantities" into servings when I first get them
home (i.e., before I want them) and it's much easier to manage the "nut
monster". lol

> Funny....I've never been one to overeat fruit, veggies, meat, fish, fowl,
> dairy, etc. I can overeat carby stuff and nuts.

Is it the Protein Power book that says they allow all the butter you
want because who is going to sit down and eat a stick of butter? :)