almond "flour"

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:03:11 GMT, "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Carb cravings can go away. I believe the reason many retain carb cravings
>is because of eating carbs. I'm suggesting in this thread that substitutes
>like LC bread, cake, and pasta may also be preserving the carb cravings.

I can understand what you're saying - up to a point. My own recipes
have never caused cravings in me or anyone I've served them to as
there's nothing *in* them to trigger a craving (unless Splenda causes
cravings in some people).

Well, Roger Zoul has a problem with my biscotti, so I wouldn't serve
it to him anymore. It's made with nut flour - Roger has a problem
with nut portion control.

Myra

They have "low carb" peanutbutter cup icecream here that should be outlawed
because it is so wonderful. I allow myself 1-1/2 gallon container a month.
To be warned though it causes AWFUL gas. You could also make your own if
you have an icecream machine. I never cared for the homemade stuff though.

Tori

--
Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
stand right here"
"Mogget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Tori M.
> <[email protected]> writes
>>
>>"FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Perhaps because they haven't found satisfying substitutes. If I want
>>> something, not ever having it only makes me want it more. Having a
>>> similar
>>> substitute can satisfy my longing.
>>>

>>*nod* actualy I have found that some subs. are better then the real thing
>>me now.. I almost can not stand the taste of reg vanilla icecream anymore.

> You have a low carb substitute for that? Please share!
>
> I've been really craving ice cream lately (pregnant). The other day I
> gave in and bought some - good stuff, real ingredients, no **** - and it
> was so sweet I couldn't bear it. Horrible. I crunched some ice instead
> :)
>
> There are three aisles in my local hyperstore devoted to ice cream. Lots
> of the products on offer there claim to be reduced fat or fat free, but
> not one of them tries to be even reduced sugar, let alone sugar free.
>
> --
> Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

At 320 pounds, there's no way you should be eating ice cream.

Leading a spartan lifestyle until you get down to a human weight would be a
great example for your children.

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

"Tori M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> They have "low carb" peanutbutter cup icecream here that should be
> outlawed because it is so wonderful. I allow myself 1-1/2 gallon
> container a month. To be warned though it causes AWFUL gas. You could
> also make your own if you have an icecream machine. I never cared for the
> homemade stuff though.
>
> Tori
>
> --
> Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
> stand right here"
> Bonnie 3/02 "No Xayur thats my blankie"
> 349.5/320/135
> "Mogget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In message <[email protected]>, Tori M.
>> <[email protected]> writes
>>>
>>>"FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...
>>>>
>>>*nod* actualy I have found that some subs. are better then the real thing
>>>me now.. I almost can not stand the taste of reg vanilla icecream
>>>anymore.

>> You have a low carb substitute for that? Please share!
>>
>> I've been really craving ice cream lately (pregnant). The other day I
>> gave in and bought some - good stuff, real ingredients, no **** - and it
>> was so sweet I couldn't bear it. Horrible. I crunched some ice instead
>> :)
>>
>> There are three aisles in my local hyperstore devoted to ice cream. Lots
>> of the products on offer there claim to be reduced fat or fat free, but
>> not one of them tries to be even reduced sugar, let alone sugar free.
>>
>> --
>> Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

Probably not.. actualy I keep asking myself why I put myself through the
stomack cramps and gas for it.. It does taste good though.. Thank you for
pointing that out to me.

Tori
(accepting a kick in the ass)

--
Xavier 10/04 "Oh what is this on the floor? A dime? Yummy!"
Bonnie 3/02 "Mommy Look at me! Look at ME!"
news:[email protected]...

Myra wrote:
:: On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:03:11 GMT, "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: Carb cravings can go away. I believe the reason many retain carb
::: cravings is because of eating carbs. I'm suggesting in this thread
::: that substitutes like LC bread, cake, and pasta may also be
::: preserving the carb cravings.
::
:: I can understand what you're saying - up to a point. My own recipes
:: have never caused cravings in me or anyone I've served them to as
:: there's nothing *in* them to trigger a craving (unless Splenda causes
:: cravings in some people).
::
:: Well, Roger Zoul has a problem with my biscotti, so I wouldn't serve
:: it to him anymore. It's made with nut flour - Roger has a problem
:: with nut portion control.

ah ****. I'm going to steal some from you next time I'm out there! :)

Oh yeah. I think the Demon is to be respected, even feared.

On the other hand..it's clear that some folks are triggered...and
others, not so much or at all.

What I find to be true, so far, for me is, the LC 'goodies" DO serve to
satisfy the goody urge when it comes up and more importantly, on a
psychological level, keep me from feeling 'deprived"---which is ALSO a
major trigger! Give me three or four days of fighting an urge....and I
become like those monks of yore who vowed chastity, sobriety and
silence. One a year or so, they ran amock, raped, drank, ate, pillaged
and plunderd.

It's better to have the LC goody and be satisfied with it than to suffer
days of deprivation, then run amock in the pastry aisle.

It's truly much more psychological thabn physical.

Like you, Cubit, Ive lost my desire for pasta...doughnuts (used to be a
biggy), potatoes and so on. It's easy to not eat foods you dont want,
anyway.

But...for me, the ice cream urge is intact. The chocolate Demon may be
napping, but isnt comatose, let alone dead.

Each individual needs to know his/her own limits in this regard.
Om...(or was it Sherry? I forget) mentioned putting the chocolate Demon
to rest with a few semi-sweet chocolate chips. This beats breaking
down with a sack of Mars bars.

For another person, eating five or six chocolate chips might LEAD to the
sack of Mars bars. It's an individual thing.

Take the Splenda, for instance---we could say, "DONT USE IT! the sweet
taste might tempt you to use real sugar!" But in practice, I find that
my coffee and iced tea are perfectly accepable with Splenda....and dont
make me want real sugar instead. To suffer thru unsweetend coffee or
tea...I promise you, would make me eventually snap, resulting in a real
sugar frenzy of Biblical proportion.

I guess each person needs to decide whether it's better to kill the
Demon by starvation or keep it at bey (bay?)by feeding it LC subs. What
doesnt work for one will work fine for another.

Im pretty sure, for me, tha feeling deprived is the biggest trigger of
al.

LassChance

Re: almond "flour"

Group: alt.support.diet.low-carb Date: Thu, Jun 30, 2005, 4:25pm (EDT+4)
From: [email protected] (Cubit)
Yes. That is my theory. Thanks for putting it so well!
"Lass Chance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Sherry---it isnt so much about the carbs. It's the psychological trigger
of chocolate cake, (chocolate CAKE!) waking up the Sleeping Pastry
Dragon.
pretty scary.
Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

Cubit---I appreciate the "bravo"...but alas....I caved. I made the cake,
ate a piece, then gave the rest to my friend Joan to take home with her.

What can I say? LOL...I CAVED, man.
But...the key to WHY I caved...I believe can be found in my own words,
"Ive been jonesing for choclate cake several days".
Lik I said, feeling deprived IS a huge trigger for me. The more I denied
myself, the more I wanted it! And, that one piece did quiet the Demon.
Havent heard a peep, in fact.

I dunno. I know you're right, IF one can be that Spartan. I think I lack
the Spartan gene.

LassChance

Re: almond "flour"

Group: alt.support.diet.low-carb Date: Thu, Jun 30, 2005, 4:44pm (EDT+4)
From: [email protected] (Cubit)
Well Bravo.
However, I'm a bit of a hypocrite where chocolate is concerned.
(sugarless
forms)
"Lass Chance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
I hear you, Cubit. I actually had the semi-sweet chocolate chip bag in
my hand.
IN my hand, man!!!!
Ive been jonesing for chocolate cake several days, sporadically.
I didnt buy the chips. Gimme a "Hallelujah".
LassChance
Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

>"I am determined to be in the 5% who
>win, but I have a healthy respect for the >95% failure

statistic."~Cubit

You GO, man! Clearly, for you, making a clean and FINAL break from
temptations IS your key to the success you're determined to have.

Can you see, tho, that for another (less Spartan than you!) the
"Absolutely NONE" approach might BE the reason for failure? And for that
person, using LC subs might BE the single reason for success?

I think Im in that latter category. Trust me when I say, I too, am
certan of my lasting success....BECAUSE I know I wont have to be
constantly fighting (and losing) the battle. The mere knowledge that I
CAN cntinue to enjoy goodies (of the LC kind) calms the fear and makes
me feel safe, by eliminating the pesky deprivation factor---my biggest
trigger of them all.

Again...it's an individual thing.
Disipline isnt my strong suit. (Could you have guesed?)

LassChance

Start LC~5-16-05
202-188-165

Lass Chance wrote:
:: Cubit---I appreciate the "bravo"...but alas....I caved. I made the
:: cake, ate a piece, then gave the rest to my friend Joan to take home
:: with her.
::
:: What can I say? LOL...I CAVED, man.
:: But...the key to WHY I caved...I believe can be found in my own
:: words, "Ive been jonesing for choclate cake several days".
:: Lik I said, feeling deprived IS a huge trigger for me. The more I
:: denied myself, the more I wanted it! And, that one piece did quiet
:: the Demon. Havent heard a peep, in fact.
::
:: I dunno. I know you're right, IF one can be that Spartan. I think I
:: lack the Spartan gene.

Believe it or not, if you count calories and carbs you can eat that
flourless cake and lose weight.

I once lost 5 lbs in a month were I ate a slice of LC cheesecake for
breakfast everyday.

You just gotta have a plan and learn to stick to it.

"Bailey's Girl" <.@.> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it the Protein Power book that says they allow all the butter you want
> because who is going to sit down and eat a stick of butter? :)

Bread per se doesn't cause me cravings. A slice of fresh bread, or toast,
with the same thickness butter as bread - now you're talking.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

"Bailey's Girl" <.@.> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it the Protein Power book that says they allow all the butter you want
> because who is going to sit down and eat a stick of butter? :)

Bread per se doesn't cause me cravings. A slice of fresh bread, or toast,
with the same thickness butter as bread - now you're talking.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/76/72Kg

"Mogget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been really craving ice cream lately (pregnant). The other day I
> gave in and bought some - good stuff, real ingredients, no **** - and it
> was so sweet I couldn't bear it. Horrible. I crunched some ice instead

I buy either Wall's Cornish Cream or Green & Black's dark choc ice cream -
both are reasonably low in carbs without having any odd ingredients, and are
a nice treat.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/76/72Kg

"Mogget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been really craving ice cream lately (pregnant). The other day I
> gave in and bought some - good stuff, real ingredients, no **** - and it
> was so sweet I couldn't bear it. Horrible. I crunched some ice instead

I buy either Wall's Cornish Cream or Green & Black's dark choc ice cream -
both are reasonably low in carbs without having any odd ingredients, and are
a nice treat.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/76/72Kg

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I think Im in that latter category. Trust me when I say, I too, am
> certan of my lasting success....BECAUSE I know I wont have to be
> constantly fighting (and losing) the battle. The mere knowledge that I
> CAN cntinue to enjoy goodies (of the LC kind) calms the fear and makes
> me feel safe, by eliminating the pesky deprivation factor---my biggest
> trigger of them all.

Well said! ITA.

--
Saffire
205/137/125

Lass Chance wrote:

> What can I say? LOL...I CAVED, man.
> But...the key to WHY I caved...I believe can be found in my own words,
> "Ive been jonesing for choclate cake several days".
> Lik I said, feeling deprived IS a huge trigger for me. The more I denied
> myself, the more I wanted it! And, that one piece did quiet the Demon.
> Havent heard a peep, in fact.

Question - What if you focused on enjoying the foods
you can have rather than lamenting the ones you can't?
For me no amount of cake beats being able to have
lobster so long as I remember to keep my focus on the
foods I can have rather than on the ones I can't.

"Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lass Chance wrote:
>>
>> What can I say? LOL...I CAVED, man.
>> But...the key to WHY I caved...I believe can be found in my own words,
>> "Ive been jonesing for choclate cake several days".
>> Lik I said, feeling deprived IS a huge trigger for me. The more I denied
>> myself, the more I wanted it! And, that one piece did quiet the Demon.
>> Havent heard a peep, in fact.

> Question - What if you focused on enjoying the foods
> you can have rather than lamenting the ones you can't?
> For me no amount of cake beats being able to have
> lobster so long as I remember to keep my focus on the
> foods I can have rather than on the ones I can't.

Almond flour is a heck of a lot cheaper than lobster. When you can buy it!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/76/72Kg

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:05:48 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Myra wrote:
>:: Well, Roger Zoul has a problem with my biscotti, so I wouldn't serve
>:: it to him anymore. It's made with nut flour - Roger has a problem
>:: with nut portion control.
>
>ah ****. I'm going to steal some from you next time I'm out there! :)

You mean you want me to make you some the next time you're here?

And when *will* the next time be???

Myra