Almost bought a mtb today

scottmilk9

Jul 23, 2006
Went to the lbs today and almost bought a mtb. After test riding 3 of them I came to my senses and decided I need to ride my road bike more.

This is where the mtb thing is coming from:

First started out as a mtb'er after I came back from desert storm 1991.
Went to the tour de france in 91 and decided then, road biking was for me, had a great time and rode almost 8K miles that year.

Transfered(PCS'd for military folks) to Ft. Sill, OK and it was so windy there, i decided to go back to mtb'ing. Did that for 4 1/2 years then moved to Fairbanks, AK. well, no biking there 3 years later, moved to Anchorage, bought a used Schwinn Rocket 88 full suspension bike, road about 1k miles.
Moved down to Phoenix(hell in summer) in 2000 and decided to get back into road biking. This is present time. All my friends have mtb bikes and nobody I know rides road bikes. So this is why I was in the lbs looking to drop a grand on a mountain bike.

Not sure why I'm telling my biking history, but I enjoy reading others who post silly stuff, so i figure its my turn.

BTW it was between a GT I-drive (full suspension)w/sram components and a Rocky mountain hardtail w/XT components.

LOOKS TO ME YOU ENJOY BOTH DISAPLINES EQUALLY
So why not buy the mtb and join the 1000's maybe 100 000's of cyclists that do both.Here in the cape many road cyclists use mtb'ing as cross training and strenth building.Many mtb ikers i know do road cycling for endurance.I don't enjoy the road much,still heeding my mothers advice of not playing in the traffic.:)

Do it!!! It's nice to hang out with mates sometimes. you can do both.
$1k is an okay investment for some good offroad fun. You don't have to give up the roadie.

Go dualie if you like the tech stuff you'll appreciate it doing DH runs if you into that sorta thing. If your mates are on hardtail be prepared to have your ass left behind going uphill. but you'l fair better on DH tech. If the GT-I is a cross country or an lighter all mountain its worth the compromise. Or get what your friends have so you can ride and keep the pace together. :cool: