Almost bought the farm AGAIN

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gooserider, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a driver.
    Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice deputy pulled her
    over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm
    pretty well lighted---two bright LED headlights and a reflective vest with
    blinking LEDs. I saw a car turn onto the road ahead of me and head my
    direction on the opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and
    drove right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I
    couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me
    and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on the
    wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to
    get me.

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    :: This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a
    :: driver. Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice
    :: deputy pulled her over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks
    :: to the gym at 5AM. I'm pretty well lighted---two bright LED
    :: headlights and a reflective vest with blinking LEDs. I saw a car
    :: turn onto the road ahead of me and head my direction on the opposite
    :: side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and drove right toward me.
    :: It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I couldn't really
    :: judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me and
    :: swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on
    :: the wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're
    :: trying to get me.

    Xenon strobe?

  3. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Gooserider wrote:
    > :: This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a
    > :: driver. Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice
    > :: deputy pulled her over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks
    > :: to the gym at 5AM. I'm pretty well lighted---two bright LED
    > :: headlights and a reflective vest with blinking LEDs. I saw a car
    > :: turn onto the road ahead of me and head my direction on the opposite
    > :: side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and drove right toward me.
    > :: It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I couldn't really
    > :: judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me and
    > :: swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on
    > :: the wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're
    > :: trying to get me.
    >
    > Xenon strobe?

    Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
    :)

  4. cycle-one

    cycle-one Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Gooserider wrote:
    >> :: This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a
    >> :: driver. Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice
    >> :: deputy pulled her over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks
    >> :: to the gym at 5AM. I'm pretty well lighted---two bright LED
    >> :: headlights and a reflective vest with blinking LEDs. I saw a car
    >> :: turn onto the road ahead of me and head my direction on the opposite
    >> :: side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and drove right toward me.
    >> :: It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I couldn't really
    >> :: judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me and
    >> :: swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on
    >> :: the wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're
    >> :: trying to get me.
    >>
    >> Xenon strobe?

    > Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
    > :)

    Sing to yourself Bruce Coburn's 'If I had a rocket launcher'

  5. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    ::: Gooserider wrote:
    ::::: This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a
    ::::: driver. Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice
    ::::: deputy pulled her over. This morning I was pedalling the two
    ::::: blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm pretty well lighted---two bright LED
    ::::: headlights and a reflective vest with blinking LEDs. I saw a car
    ::::: turn onto the road ahead of me and head my direction on the
    ::::: opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and drove
    ::::: right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted,
    ::::: so I couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty
    ::::: close. She saw me and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper
    ::::: delivery person driving on the wrong side to fill paper boxes!
    ::::: Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to get me.
    :::
    ::: Xenon strobe?
    ::
    :: Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my
    :: head. :)

    Problem solved! :)

  6. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a driver.
    > Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice deputy pulled

    her
    > over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm
    > pretty well lighted---two bright LED headlights and a reflective vest with
    > blinking LEDs. I saw a car turn onto the road ahead of me and head my
    > direction on the opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and
    > drove right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I
    > couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me
    > and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on

    the
    > wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to
    > get me.

    If there was more than a little ambient light, it's likely that your
    "bright" LED headlights were ineffective.

    LED's can be moderately effective on a very dark road, but in typical
    urban/suburban conditions, you need a higher wattage light to be seen.

    GG

  7. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "GaryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a driver.
    >> Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice deputy pulled

    > her
    >> over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm
    >> pretty well lighted---two bright LED headlights and a reflective vest
    >> with
    >> blinking LEDs. I saw a car turn onto the road ahead of me and head my
    >> direction on the opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and
    >> drove right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so
    >> couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me
    >> and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on

    > the
    >> wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to
    >> get me.
    >>

    > If there was more than a little ambient light, it's likely that your
    > "bright" LED headlights were ineffective.
    >
    > LED's can be moderately effective on a very dark road, but in typical
    > urban/suburban conditions, you need a higher wattage light to be seen.
    >
    > GG

    It was 5AM and pitch black. This moron just wasn't paying attention. She was
    sitting on the passenger side, too. Guess she was weaving side to side to
    hit all the boxes. Lucky I didn't end up on her hood.

  8. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 02:06:31 GMT, "Gooserider"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This moron just wasn't paying attention. She was
    >sitting on the passenger side, too. Guess she was weaving side to side to
    >hit all the boxes. Lucky I didn't end up on her hood.

    I'll bet you would have used one of those nasty locomotive horns if
    you had one.
    --
    zk

  9. Luke

    Luke Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Gooserider
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It was 5AM and pitch black. This moron just wasn't paying attention. She was
    > sitting on the passenger side, too. Guess she was weaving side to side to
    > hit all the boxes. Lucky I didn't end up on her hood.

    Everyday I encounter this nocturnal tribe of lunatics on my morning
    commute home. These drivers indulge in a high degree of multi-tasking:
    if you'd had a strobe light and a disco ball atop your helmet, you
    still may have gone undetected - they can't see what's in front of them
    if they don't turn their head in that direction. Their standard
    practice is to zigzag through opposing lanes to stock the newspaper
    boxes. Looks like it cost you a pair of underwear to find that out.
    ;-).

    But was the driver really sitting in - and operating the car from!!! -
    the passenger side? I've never seen this before.

    Luke

  10. Steve Sr.

    Steve Sr. Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 22:38:36 GMT, "Gooserider"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a driver.
    >Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice deputy pulled her
    >over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm
    >pretty well lighted---two bright LED headlights and a reflective vest with
    >blinking LEDs. I saw a car turn onto the road ahead of me and head my
    >direction on the opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and
    >drove right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I
    >couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me
    >and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on the
    >wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to
    >get me.

    This is exactly why I have a 15 watt Night Rider light on my helmet. I
    can aim it wherever I want whenever I want. Under these circumstances
    I aim it directly at the driver of the vehicle and listen for the
    sounds of screeching tires.

    This ability has saved my bacon on several occasions. It is also great
    for flashing cars at side intersections or driveways to keep them from
    pulling out in front of me.

    Highly recommended.

    Steve

  11. Richard B

    Richard B Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Gooserider wrote:
    >:: This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a
    >:: driver. --Snip-- It's like they're trying to get me.
    >
    > Xenon strobe?

    Xenon strobe $18.45...
    Runs up to 16 hours on one D cell battery.
    Clear or Yellow lens.
    waterproof to 12 feet.

    http://www.theledlight.com/strobes.html

    I have been lately thinking I might want one of these to use while
    riding my bike after dark; maybe I'll order one.

    Rich

  12. oilfreeandhappy wrote:

    > This almost sounds intentional. Do you think it could have been.

    I guess it just depends on where you live at, but as someone that has
    delivered papers for over 20 years I very rarely see anyone riding a
    bike before the sun comes up.. I do see some walkers and runners in the
    dark and a few of them use the blinking LED things. You can see those
    things for quite a distance. They work well.. But the problem in the
    dark is that when I'd see those lights I'd think "walker" rather than
    "bike" and think I have time to pull over and deliver a paper in front
    of them, then my headlights hit them and it would freak me out too.

    Anyone on a bike after dark should figure that all drivers do not see
    you until their headlights hit you.

    Jeff

  13. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > oilfreeandhappy wrote:
    >
    >> This almost sounds intentional. Do you think it could have been.

    > I guess it just depends on where you live at, but as someone that has
    > delivered papers for over 20 years I very rarely see anyone riding a
    > bike before the sun comes up.. I do see some walkers and runners in the
    > dark and a few of them use the blinking LED things. You can see those
    > things for quite a distance. They work well.. But the problem in the
    > dark is that when I'd see those lights I'd think "walker" rather than
    > "bike" and think I have time to pull over and deliver a paper in front
    > of them, then my headlights hit them and it would freak me out too.
    >
    > Anyone on a bike after dark should figure that all drivers do not see
    > you until their headlights hit you.
    >
    > Jeff

    I had a reflective vest on, so I was visible for quite a distance.

  14. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 02:06:31 GMT, "Gooserider"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>This moron just wasn't paying attention. She was
    >>sitting on the passenger side, too. Guess she was weaving side to side to
    >>hit all the boxes. Lucky I didn't end up on her hood.

    > I'll bet you would have used one of those nasty locomotive horns if
    > you had one.
    > --

    Since they require an air compressor that's an impossibility. Let's see how
    cool you think they are when some moron blasts you with one from behind. I
    predict we'll see these people involved in some sort of trial before long.
    Somebody is going to cause a cyclist or even a motorists to have an accident
    with these horns.

  15. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    to get me.

    >> Xenon strobe?

    > Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
    > :)

    I actually have a headtorch mounted on my lid. As soon as I started wearing
    it I noticed I was being seen by drivers much sooner than I had been - as
    headlights would be dipped sooner. The lid-mounted headtorch is in addition
    to the minimum of two bright lights and sometimes three front lights I
    use...

    Cheers, helen s

  16. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    > to get me.
    >>>
    >>> Xenon strobe?

    >> Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
    >> :)
    >>>

    > I actually have a headtorch mounted on my lid. As soon as I started
    > wearing it I noticed I was being seen by drivers much sooner than I had
    > been - as headlights would be dipped sooner. The lid-mounted headtorch is
    > in addition to the minimum of two bright lights and sometimes three front
    > lights I use...
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Guess I will have to start wearing my helmet for the two block ride to the
    gym.

  17. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    > to get me.
    >>>
    >>> Xenon strobe?

    >> Would only have helped if I mounted it on the front or on top of my head.
    >> :)
    >>>

    > I actually have a headtorch mounted on my lid. As soon as I started
    > wearing it I noticed I was being seen by drivers much sooner than I had
    > been - as headlights would be dipped sooner. The lid-mounted headtorch is
    > in addition to the minimum of two bright lights and sometimes three front
    > lights I use...
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    The advantage that a helmet mounted bright LED head torch has is that it is
    directed in the direction in which the cyclist is looking -- which means it
    is inevitably is pointing at some perceived hazard that the cyclist is
    checking out. It also means that it is a light which is distinctly "mobile"
    and "wobbly" and creates a more eye stimulating image to any potential
    approaching miscreant than does ones standard bike mounted illumination
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

  18. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The advantage that a helmet mounted bright LED head torch has is that it
    > is directed in the direction in which the cyclist is looking -- which
    > means it is inevitably is pointing at some perceived hazard that the
    > cyclist is checking out. It also means that it is a light which is
    > distinctly "mobile" and "wobbly" and creates a more eye stimulating image
    > to any potential approaching miscreant than does ones standard bike
    > mounted illumination

    Indeed. Makes it great for illuminating road signs too :)

    Cheers, helen s

  19. Gooserider wrote:
    > This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a driver.
    > Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice deputy pulled her
    > over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks to the gym at 5AM. I'm
    > pretty well lighted---two bright LED headlights and a reflective vest with
    > blinking LEDs. I saw a car turn onto the road ahead of me and head my
    > direction on the opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and
    > drove right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted, so I
    > couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw me
    > and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving on the
    > wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're trying to
    > get me.

    Weird events like that do happen, and it's weirder when you get two in
    a row.

    I wouldn't overreact with strobes, mega-lights, mega-horns and the
    like. Your lights are probably fine. You simply had a little bad
    luck. It's likely random - and two random events sometimes happen in a
    row.

    This is assuming, of course, that you didn't just start riding in the
    dark, and aren't doing stealth cycling. From your description, that's
    certainly not the case.

    If it were me, I'd have a friend observe my bike lights & reflectors
    from his passing car to see if he thinks they're adequate; then have
    him ride your bike while you observe from the car. (Actually, since
    I'm me, I've already done that several times with my lights.) You may
    think of some easy way to increase visibility - like reflective strips
    on the inside surface of your rims, or pedal reflectors, or whatever.

    Then I'd remember that these kinds of things happen even in daylight.
    You just have to stay aware as you ride and be prepared to react, day
    or night.

    - Frank Krygowski