Almost clobbered again ! (by a car)

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by J999w, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. J999w

    J999w Guest

    I'm stopped at a corner comming out of a subdivision, waiting to cross a fairly
    busy, two lane road, I've got one foot on the ground. Here comes this chick,
    dives out of traffic making a left turn onto the road I'm standing on. She
    slides on the pea gravel and almost takes my front wheel out! Had there not
    been any pea gravel for her to slide on, she would have hit it for sure. I woke
    up half the neighborhood giving her some advice on how to drive.

    Only my third ride of the year ... geeze.

    John Wilke
    Milwaukee

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (J999w) wrote:

    > I'm stopped at a corner comming out of a subdivision, waiting to cross a

    fairly
    > busy, two lane road, I've got one foot on the ground. Here comes this chick,
    > dives out of traffic making a left turn onto the road I'm standing on. She
    > slides on the pea gravel and almost takes my front wheel out! Had there not
    > been any pea gravel for her to slide on, she would have hit it for sure.

    I woke
    > up half the neighborhood giving her some advice on how to drive.
    >
    > Only my third ride of the year ... geeze.
    >
    > John Wilke
    > Milwaukee

    Sounds like yet another reason we all have to be "defensive riders." So
    many times these drivers are going like blue blazes and not even looking
    where they're going because they don't *expect* there to be anyone present
    for them to worry about.

    Whenever I see a car stopped ahead of me about to do something, or with
    turn signals on about to enter my path, I like to make damn sure I know
    the driver has seen me and knows I'm there and--hello?!?--they can't just
    enter the street from a side street, or make a turn from the other side of
    the street in front of me, or whatever it was they were almost about to do
    without even looking because they didn't expect to see the likes of me.
    But sometimes it sure isn't easy. Not with the drivers who don't look both
    ways, or are too busy talking to the passenger, or who forget to signal.
    --
    Trudi

    "He's lean, he's elegant, he's quick, he's ethereal
    He makes grown men cry in their cereal."
    --Rex Thomas's couplet about Johnny Weir