Almost got a ticket today!

D

Daniel Ballagh

Today I went out for a ride since the weather was around 65 degrees with around a 15 mph wind (yuk)
but overall was a wonderful day to go riding. After about 10 miles of fighting the wind in my face I
started to get somewhat tired so I began to slow my pace. I rolled up to a stop sign in a
residential neighborhood and decided I was too tired to stop and restart so I rolled right through
it. After looking both ways I noticed there was a parked police car down the street and then
realized that there was someone in the car. Of course by the time I realized there was an officer in
the car I was already half way through the intersection so I decided to keep on riding like nothing
was wrong. Well a few seconds later I heard behind me the sirens coming from the police car and I
thought "Ut oh, how am I going to explain this to my wife....". When I looked in my mirror I was
surprised to see a brown car behind me and not a police car and then I realized that the car behind
me must have rolled through that stop sign as well. I guess the police officer decided that it would
be more respectable to write a ticket to a 4 wheel vehicle rather than some guy riding a bike?
Anyway, after I put my heart back in my chest I thought to myself "No matter how tired I get I won't
make that mistake again.". Of course I'll probably forget in a few weeks but I am sure glad that car
came along to get the officers attention.

Dan.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Today I went out for a ride since the weather was around 65 degrees with around a 15 mph wind
> (yuk) but overall was a wonderful day to go riding. After about 10 miles of fighting the wind in
> my face I started to get somewhat tired so I began to slow my pace. I rolled up to a stop sign in
> a residential neighborhood and decided I was too tired to stop and restart so I rolled right
> through it. After looking both ways I noticed there was a parked police car down the street and
> then realized that there was someone in the car. Of course by the time I realized there was an
> officer in the car I was already half way through the intersection so I decided to keep on riding
> like nothing was wrong. Well a few seconds later I heard behind me the sirens coming from the
> police car and I thought "Ut oh, how am I going to explain this to my wife....". When I looked in
> my mirror I was surprised to see a brown car behind me and not a police car and then I realized
> that the car behind me must have rolled through that stop sign as well. I guess the police officer
> decided that it would be more respectable to write a ticket to a 4 wheel vehicle rather than some
> guy riding a bike? Anyway, after I put my heart back in my chest I thought to myself "No matter
> how tired I get I won't make that mistake again.". Of course I'll probably forget in a few weeks
> but I am sure glad that car came along to get the officers attention.

I hope you write a nice thank you note to that driver <GGG>.

>
> Dan.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

"Daniel Ballagh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I rolled up to a stop sign in a residential neighborhood and decided I was too tired to stop and
> restart so I rolled right through it. After looking both ways I noticed there was a parked police
> car down the street and then realized that there was someone in the car.

> Anyway, after I put my heart back in my chest I thought to myself "No matter how tired I get I
> won't make that mistake again.". Of course I'll probably forget in a few weeks but I am sure glad
> that car came along to get the officers attention.

I wouldn't worry about it, I roll through stops & lights in front of cops all the time and have
never been stopped, much less ticketed. The only place around here that tickets for such things
is Cambridge, MA, where the bicycle committee has lobbied for it. I try to bike there as little
as possible.

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:05:00 GMT, "Peter Cole"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Daniel Ballagh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I rolled up to a stop sign in a residential neighborhood and decided I was too tired to stop and
>> restart so I rolled right through it. After looking both ways I noticed there was a parked police
>> car down the street and then realized that there was someone in the car.
>
>> Anyway, after I put my heart back in my chest I thought to myself "No matter how tired I get I
>> won't make that mistake again.". Of course I'll probably forget in a few weeks but I am sure
>> glad that car came along to get the officers attention.
>
>I wouldn't worry about it, I roll through stops & lights in front of cops all the time and have
>never been stopped, much less ticketed. The only place around here that tickets for such things is
>Cambridge, MA, where the bicycle committee has lobbied for it. I try to bike there as little as
>possible.

It probably reduces the potential for bicycle/car collisions. If you're on a residential street with
zero traffic, and the stop sign goes uphill, maybe.

Otherwise, stay safe, stay legal.

-Luigi Revolutionary discipline, comrades

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I wouldn't worry about it, I roll through stops & lights in front of cops all the time and have
> never been stopped, much less ticketed. The only place around here that tickets for such things is
> Cambridge, MA, where the bicycle committee has lobbied for it. I try to bike there as little as
> possible.

In Toronto every once in a while the cops get on a "cycling safety" type of blitz which consists of
waiting at four-way stops and ticketing cyclists that come to a rolling stop but don't put their
foot on the ground. Fun.

If you find yourself forgetting, then ask youself this question:

"What if that brown car had been on the road I was CROSSING?"

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

>I wouldn't worry about it, I roll through stops & lights in front of cops all the time and have
>never been stopped, much less ticketed. The only place around here that tickets for such things is
>Cambridge, MA, where the bicycle committee has lobbied for it. I try to bike there as little as
>possible.

This "Bicycle committee" must have been made up of non bicycling motorists. I know from experience
not many cyclists obey the law when it comes to stop signs. Few motorists do, for that matter! Many
cyclists (mostly racers, I've seen) even ignore stoplights at major intersections, doing the insane
"right-turn-u-turn-right-turn-and-down-the-road-we-go" trick.

I keep hoping "natural selection" will someday weed these idiots out of the gene pool. Doubt it'll
happen in my day, though. Well, congrats to Cambridge for taking some action at least. Hey, maybe
they should put some of the revenues into better bike transportation issues?

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:52:53 -0500 (EST), [email protected] (Chris
Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

>From: [email protected] (Tanya)
>
>>In Toronto every once in a while the cops get on a "cycling safety" type of blitz which consists
>>of waiting at four-way stops and ticketing cyclists that come to a rolling stop but don't put
>>their foot on the ground. Fun.
>
>Next time they do, come to a complete stop and do a track stand for much longer than necessary (say
>a few minutes). Just to see how they handle
>it.
>
>If they give you a ticket, take it to court and have the officer describe the situation to the
>judge. Then ask the officer how five minutes without moving can be anything but a complete stop?

It could well be the ticket instead reads "obstructing traffic" or "refusing to obey a policeman
directing traffic."

At which point, you're shafted.

-Luigi

I once got stopped by the Police here (U.K) for speeding whilst out on a ride and a much welcomed long descent!!!! I think they must have been bored out of their tiny minds. Saying that they did just 'warn' me about the regulations and didn't take it further. Would have been rather funny if they had though ;)

"alicem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Mq%[email protected]...
> I once got stopped by the Police here (U.K) for speeding whilst out on a ride and a much welcomed
> long descent!!!! I think they must have been bored out of their tiny minds. Saying that they did
> just 'warn' me about the regulations and didn't take it further. Would have been rather funny if
> they had though ;)

Over the years, I've tried to get a speeding ticket just for bragging purposes. I've not succeeded
despite some flagrancy. I did once get threatened with arrest for "disorderly conduct" for
disagreeing with a cop when he claimed our little group wasn't riding single-file.

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:05:00 GMT, "Peter Cole"

>possible.

It's not just about the practical likelihood of getting a ticket. It's about showing the same
respect for the rules of the road that we expect from motorists.

MP

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:50:52 GMT, alicem

>I once got stopped by the Police here (U.K) for speeding whilst out on a ride and a much welcomed
>long descent!!!! I think they must have been bored out of their tiny minds. Saying that they did
>just 'warn' me about the regulations and didn't take it further. Would have been rather funny if
>they had though ;)

PC Plod strikes again.

-Luigi

"it were a fair cop--but society is to blame"

"MP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:05:00 GMT, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I wouldn't worry about it, I roll through stops & lights in front of cops
all
> >the time and have never been stopped, much less ticketed. The only place around here that tickets
> >for such things is Cambridge, MA, where the
bicycle
> >committee has lobbied for it. I try to bike there as little as possible.
>
> It's not just about the practical likelihood of getting a ticket. It's about showing the same
> respect for the rules of the road that we expect from motorists.

For me it's about getting from point A to B. If I stopped for all the traffic controls I might as
well drive. The only thing motorists respect is not being slowed down. Me too.

Peter Cole wrote:
> "MP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:05:00 GMT, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I wouldn't worry about it, I roll through stops & lights in front of cops
>
> all
>
>>>the time and have never been stopped, much less ticketed. The only place around here that tickets
>>>for such things is Cambridge, MA, where the
>
> bicycle
>
>>>committee has lobbied for it. I try to bike there as little as possible.
>>
>>It's not just about the practical likelihood of getting a ticket. It's about showing the same
>>respect for the rules of the road that we expect from motorists.
>
>
> For me it's about getting from point A to B. If I stopped for all the traffic controls I might as
> well drive. The only thing motorists respect is not being slowed down. Me too.
>
>

Yes, I feel the same way when I'm in a car. Who needs to stop at all those steenkin'
signs? <eyeroll>

Scott, really at notscape det not

Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> Over the years, I've tried to get a speeding ticket just for bragging purposes.

i've heard mount diablo in the bay area is pretty good for this?
--
david reuteler

Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

> For me it's about getting from point A to B. If I stopped for all the traffic controls I might as
> well drive. The only thing motorists respect is not being slowed down. Me too.

Twit.

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Peter Cole wrote:
> >
> > For me it's about getting from point A to B. If I stopped for all the
traffic
> > controls I might as well drive. The only thing motorists respect is not
being
> > slowed down. Me too.
> >
> >
>
> Yes, I feel the same way when I'm in a car. Who needs to stop at all those steenkin' signs?
> <eyeroll>

Traffic signals are all about efficiency, not safety or courtesy. If motorists ignore them gridlock
ensues (earlier than normal). Bikes don't have the same effect. While you slavishly obey the letter
of the law, you violate the spirit.

Peter Cole wrote:
> "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Peter Cole wrote:
>>
>>>For me it's about getting from point A to B. If I stopped for all the
>
> traffic
>
>>>controls I might as well drive. The only thing motorists respect is not
>
> being
>
>>>slowed down. Me too.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Yes, I feel the same way when I'm in a car. Who needs to stop at all those steenkin' signs?
>><eyeroll>
>
>
> Traffic signals are all about efficiency, not safety or courtesy. If motorists ignore them
> gridlock ensues (earlier than normal). Bikes don't have the same effect. While you slavishly obey
> the letter of the law, you violate the spirit.

I'm glad you don't drive through my neighborhood.

Scott, really at notscape det not