Almost got cleaned up!

just us

Guest
Out riding yesterday in my brand new Netti hot fluro green (yellow?) long
sleeved jersey. Came to a T intersection. There was only me and one other
car on the road - he stopped at the T. It was a country road in the middle
of no where. I put out my hand and went to turn right in front of him as he
had to give way. Next thing he hits the throttle!!!!!!!!! Sheeeeeeeeet - I
started yelling and he hit the skids. Wound down his window and said "sorry
love I didnt see you!!!!!!!!" Gees I was in this gear which was screaming
"hit me and you are blind" LOL. By this time I am off the bike and yelling
at him "HELLO!!!! HELLO!!! and shaking my shirt at him! Was he blind or just
not looking? Scared me to bits. Next time at an intersection I just wont
assume that the driver can actually drive.

just us wrote:
> Out riding yesterday in my brand new Netti hot fluro green (yellow?) long
> sleeved jersey. Came to a T intersection. There was only me and one other
> car on the road - he stopped at the T. It was a country road in the middle
> of no where. I put out my hand and went to turn right in front of him as
> he had to give way. Next thing he hits the throttle!!!!!!!!!
> Sheeeeeeeeet - I started yelling and he hit the skids. Wound down his
> window and said "sorry love I didnt see you!!!!!!!!" Gees I was in this
> gear which was screaming "hit me and you are blind" LOL. By this time I am
> off the bike and yelling at him "HELLO!!!! HELLO!!! and shaking my shirt
> at him! Was he blind or just not looking? Scared me to bits. Next time at
> an intersection I just wont assume that the driver can actually drive.

Aargh, I hate reading stuff like this. Need to hear it though - to remind
me to ride defensively all the time. And, when I drive, to be vigilant,
and more vigilant, and observant too.
Glad you got nothing more than a big fright.

Peace.

--
beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

"just us" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

<snip>
> Next time at an intersection I just
> wont assume that the driver can actually drive.

I always assume thet can't, makes it it pleasent when I am wrong.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

There are degrees of blindness.

My favourite incident like this was where I was riding past stationary
car on the left at a tee instersection. Isolated country road. As I got
right in front of the car, literally right in front of the car, less
than 1 meter from the front of the car, he starts to move forward.

Many loud expletives follow. With the ridiculous SDNSYM.

Assume nothing. We are dealing with motor skills on a good day. These
people are barely in control of their bowel movements.

AndrewJ said:
Assume nothing. We are dealing with motor skills on a good day. These
people are barely in control of their bowel movements.

I normally assume most vehicles don't perceive your very existance, so invariably when something *does* occur, I've got either got the space and/or time to make a defensive move. Most of the time.. :eek: :p

just us wrote:
> Out riding yesterday in my brand new Netti hot fluro green (yellow?) long
> sleeved jersey. Came to a T intersection. There was only me and one other
> car on the road - he stopped at the T. It was a country road in the middle
> of no where. I put out my hand and went to turn right in front of him as he
> had to give way. Next thing he hits the throttle!!!!!!!!! Sheeeeeeeeet - I
> started yelling and he hit the skids. Wound down his window and said "sorry
> love I didnt see you!!!!!!!!" Gees I was in this gear which was screaming
> "hit me and you are blind" LOL. By this time I am off the bike and yelling
> at him "HELLO!!!! HELLO!!! and shaking my shirt at him! Was he blind or just
> not looking? Scared me to bits. Next time at an intersection I just wont
> assume that the driver can actually drive.

I had one of these today (1st really close call in *years*). Riding up
the hill on Boronia Rd towards Canterbury rd on my way back from a crit
at Casey, and a purple/brown (moron?) newish peoplemover thing comes up
a sidestreet. I suspect the driver hasn't seen me, as they don't show
much indication that they're planning on stopping. I'm not going
terribly quick (rooted after a hard race and a headwind all the way
home, *and* a hill!) which was just as well, because said driver does
in fact not stop just as I'm passing - fortunatly a loud "F*CKING
STOP!" yell from me was sufficient to raise attention and get a rapid
application of brakes from the slow moving but starting to accelerate
into Boronia Rd car. Missed by maybe 30cm or so, in the end.

I suspect that I was in a blindspot - yes, there are front blindspots
in cars, the A pillar in some is quite thick, and can obscure a rider
on a bike. When I approach cars that are aproaching a turn from the
left onto the road I'm on, I try and make sure I can see the driver's
face. If not, I assume they haven't seen me and prepare to make myself
a lot more visable or to stop. In this case I just assumed (falsely!)
that my low speed was sufficient to allow visability - that and I was
knackered and not riding defensively enough as I was almost home and
looking forward to a sit down and relax! Mea Culpa - one scare I
should have avoided.

In aus.bicycle on 29 Jul 2006 03:42:21 -0700
Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

> I suspect that I was in a blindspot - yes, there are front blindspots
> in cars, the A pillar in some is quite thick, and can obscure a rider
> on a bike. When I approach cars that are aproaching a turn from the

Especially bad at roundabouts those things.

Something I do on the motorbike but not so much on the pushie is to
move in the lane. The movement attracts attention, and if I'm hidden
by the pillar or road furniture it gets me into the line of vision.

I think I don't do it on the pushie because I am much more to ths side
of the road and don't think of the lane as mine the way I do on the
motorbike.

Zebee

just us said:
Out riding yesterday in my brand new Netti hot fluro green (yellow?) long
sleeved jersey. Came to a T intersection. There was only me and one other
car on the road - he stopped at the T. It was a country road in the middle
of no where. I put out my hand and went to turn right in front of him as he
had to give way. Next thing he hits the throttle!!!!!!!!! Sheeeeeeeeet - I
started yelling and he hit the skids. Wound down his window and said "sorry
love I didnt see you!!!!!!!!" Gees I was in this gear which was screaming
"hit me and you are blind" LOL. By this time I am off the bike and yelling
at him "HELLO!!!! HELLO!!! and shaking my shirt at him! Was he blind or just
not looking? Scared me to bits. Next time at an intersection I just wont
assume that the driver can actually drive.
I had exactly the same experiance a couple of years ago, except I was IN A CAR. HOW COULD HE NOT SEE ME IN A CAR DURING THE DAY???
Conincidently, I heard the explanation two weeks later on JJJ's science hour with Dr Karl K-alphabet. When someone looks left & right (and back?) quickly, they will blink so that they don't have to see the world flying past. Studies showed that some people's blinks last long than others, and they can actually miss everyhting directly in front of them while looking left and right.
This makes it particularly dangerous at T intersections, because there nothing interesting in front of them (in theory).

The moral of this story, assume nothing, and be prepared to shout loud.

On 29 Jul 2006 11:44:29 GMT, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

>Something I do on the motorbike but not so much on the pushie is to
>move in the lane. The movement attracts attention, and if I'm hidden
>by the pillar or road furniture it gets me into the line of vision.

I do that on the bicycle but only when I have a mirror.
Its also a way to influence the to-be-overtakers.

just assume the driver of any car / bus / truck has not seen you and they
are the most decrepit piece of humanity ever got their license and then
prepare to act accordingly.
You will not be disappointed.
Jock

news:[email protected]...

On 2006-07-29, peterlip (aka Bruce)
> I had exactly the same experiance a couple of years ago, except I was IN
> A CAR. HOW COULD HE NOT SEE ME IN A CAR DURING THE DAY???
> Conincidently, I heard the explanation two weeks later on JJJ's science
> hour with Dr Karl K-alphabet. When someone looks left & right (and
> back?) quickly, they will blink so that they don't have to see the
> world flying past. Studies showed that some people's blinks last long
> than others, and they can actually miss everyhting directly in front of
> them while looking left and right.

I've got a related theory (I once worked in the same buiding as Dr
K-alphabet, so it probably flowed in via osmosis): many drivers find
the whole world zipping by like that just too complicated, and
consequently close their eyes and just let the force guide them.
Unfortunately for most, the force is weak in them.

~~~~This is not the turnoff you are looking for~~~~~

> This makes it particularly dangerous at T intersections, because there
> nothing interesting in front of them (in theory).
>
> The moral of this story, assume nothing, and be prepared to shout loud.

I AM YOUR FATHER! DO NOT RUN ME OVER!

--
TimC
/*-----------------------------------/*
*------------------------------------*/

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on 29 Jul 2006 03:42:21 -0700
> Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I suspect that I was in a blindspot - yes, there are front blindspots
>> in cars, the A pillar in some is quite thick, and can obscure a rider
>> on a bike. When I approach cars that are aproaching a turn from the

> Especially bad at roundabouts those things.
>
> Something I do on the motorbike but not so much on the pushie is to
> move in the lane. The movement attracts attention, and if I'm hidden
> by the pillar or road furniture it gets me into the line of vision.
>
> I think I don't do it on the pushie because I am much more to ths side
> of the road and don't think of the lane as mine the way I do on the
> motorbike.

When I negotiate roundabouts I'm smack bang in the middle of the lane.
Safest way I reckon.
--
Cheers
Euan

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:27:54 GMT
Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>> I think I don't do it on the pushie because I am much more to ths side
>> of the road and don't think of the lane as mine the way I do on the
>> motorbike.

> When I negotiate roundabouts I'm smack bang in the middle of the lane.
> Safest way I reckon.

Roundabouts mostly yes. So can wiggle there. But straight lines less
so.

But even in roundabouts it depends.

When I go through the small "traffic calming" ones I take the lane
because the furniture around them and the road camber means anything
else just doesn't work. THe road's too narrow to share.

Most medium sized ones ditto.

The bigger ones though, such as the one I use every day going to work,
where I am depends a lot on the traffic at that moment.

My approach is up a hill, and there's a lot of traffic on the right
so it is pretty well certain that I'll have to stop. There's usually
a fair tailback, so I go up the inside and sit next to the lead car.
I won't get away as quickly as the lead as it's uphill, so I check the
indicators on the next couple as I come up behind them to get an idea
of who is doing what. Most cars are turning right.

I then move off with the first car if I can, arm stuck out to the
right. My mirror tells me if the next one is coming or not, and
whether they are turning. If they are not, I get into the middle
behind the first car. If they are, I stay on the side to give them
room. But it will depend on how close they are, what the traffic's
doing in the various exits and so on.

The biggie is of course the people coming into the roundabout on the
far side, the first entry I meet as I turn right. Usually they are
turning left and blocked by traffic because of lights a bit further
down the road, but sometimes they will try and dart through. I have
to be ready for almost any movement there, as there's nowhere to go if
they push it. I'm usually going slowly though, so braking's an
option.

In heavier traffic, the cars protect me - cars coming into the
roundabout don't come in if they see a car most of the time, whereas
they might push on if all that's coming is a bicycle.

In light traffic, then take the lane. Give yourself room! I've not
had to do a 2 lane roundabout yet, I think I'd take the long way
round to avoid turning right at a 2 lane roundabout. People do cycle
through 5 ways at Kingsford though so it has to be possible....

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:52:12 GMT
Jock <[email protected]> wrote:
> just assume the driver of any car / bus / truck has not seen you and they
> are the most decrepit piece of humanity ever got their license and then
> prepare to act accordingly.
> You will not be disappointed.

But neither will you get anywhere, and your stress levels will go
through the roof.

I find it easier to note behaviour of vehicles and judge on that.

If I can't watch them for a bit, perhaps they are in a sidestreet,
then I give them all the help I can to notice me, and I plan what to
do if they don't.

Most people aren't in a position to hurt me, most of those who are
don't and take care not to. There are idiots of course, but they are
rare and often spottable.

That's been my experience on the motorcycle and the bicycle over the
last 20 years or so.

Zebee
- who had 3 people at different points on Friday's commute wait
patiently till they could pass safely. And one who waved her
through a roundabout. Only one who pushed pass rather unsafely and
that was the only one of those this week.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> In light traffic, then take the lane. Give yourself room! I've not
> had to do a 2 lane roundabout yet, I think I'd take the long way
> round to avoid turning right at a 2 lane roundabout. People do cycle
> through 5 ways at Kingsford though so it has to be possible....

Two lane? Pah! Try a three lane roundabout! Mind you I've only had to
negotiate that in light traffic.
--
Cheers
Euan

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-07-29, peterlip (aka Bruce)
>
>>I had exactly the same experiance a couple of years ago, except I was IN
>>A CAR. HOW COULD HE NOT SEE ME IN A CAR DURING THE DAY???
>>Conincidently, I heard the explanation two weeks later on JJJ's science
>>hour with Dr Karl K-alphabet. When someone looks left & right (and
>>back?) quickly, they will blink so that they don't have to see the
>>world flying past. Studies showed that some people's blinks last long
>>than others, and they can actually miss everyhting directly in front of
>>them while looking left and right.

> I've got a related theory (I once worked in the same buiding as Dr
> K-alphabet, so it probably flowed in via osmosis): many drivers find
> the whole world zipping by like that just too complicated, and
> consequently close their eyes and just let the force guide them.
> Unfortunately for most, the force is weak in them.
>
> ~~~~This is not the turnoff you are looking for~~~~~
>

>>This makes it particularly dangerous at T intersections, because there
>>nothing interesting in front of them (in theory).
>>
>>The moral of this story, assume nothing, and be prepared to shout loud.

> I AM YOUR FATHER! DO NOT RUN ME OVER!

I have a few of these stories on bikes but one in a car.

I was in the right turn lane from Brunswick rd into sydney rd at the
lights there. (in Brunswick Melbourne) Red light and a fair bit of
stopped traffic all of which is leaving the keep clear sign in the lane
just by the entrance of the 711 on the left hand corner clear. There
are a couple of cars turning right then this keep clear bit and there is
a car turning right out of the 7/11 and accross my path to go in the
opposite direction. I hope that thats sort of clear

Anyway so I stop, leaving the keep clear bit clear. And after a few
seconds.. obviously unable to believe that no one is going to block her
this woman tootles out of the 7/11 turning right and she turns straight
into me and HITS ME HEAD ON. Dead head on. Crunch.

I couldnt believe it. I mean I have seen stupid and it is blonde.
Sheesh. I was so angry I couldnt bring myself to say anything to her
as I went up and started copying the rego details off her rego sticker.

The woman behind (and I would have married her or lived in sin with her
in a heart beat ) pulled on her handbag walked up to me With this
woman bleating excuses at me, gave me a bit of paper with her details
on.. didnt say a word to me, turned and looked at this idiot for a
second with utter contempt. Said one word "cretin' walked back to her
car, pulled around me and drove off.

Was hard to explain that one to the boss.

Dave

just us wrote:

> Out riding yesterday in my brand new Netti hot fluro green (yellow?) long
> sleeved jersey. Came to a T intersection. There was only me and one other
> car on the road - he stopped at the T. It was a country road in the middle
> of no where. I put out my hand and went to turn right in front of him as he
> had to give way. Next thing he hits the throttle!!!!!!!!! Sheeeeeeeeet - I
> started yelling and he hit the skids. Wound down his window and said "sorry
> love I didnt see you!!!!!!!!" Gees I was in this gear which was screaming
> "hit me and you are blind" LOL. By this time I am off the bike and yelling
> at him "HELLO!!!! HELLO!!! and shaking my shirt at him! Was he blind or just
> not looking? Scared me to bits. Next time at an intersection I just wont
> assume that the driver can actually drive.

Oooh, a SLIDSY instead of a SMIDSY, how quaint. Grrr. Good on you for
managing to not beat the **** out of him - I may have.

Tam