Almost Got In A Fight On The Trail.

Darktone

Jul 1, 2015
Was riding on a local trail and came upon a guy walking his dog. He was in the left lane and dog in right lane. I slowed down and about 25 yards out I said passing on the left. He turned looked at me and started saying the F word a lot. Then said I was supposed to yield to him- I actually did come to a complete stop. I told him the rules of the trail- stay to the left, don't block trail,allow passing on the right and cyclists to slow down and give audible warning. we had a few words. I am a pretty big muscular guy(50 years old) and this guy was probably about 60 and obviously out of shape and fifty pounds less than me. I think he actually thought he was going to kick my butt so that's when I though the outcome would not be good so I got out of there.

Reactions: haleylx4
1-Looks can be deceiving in a fight and any fool can be strong with a gun or knife.

2-Simply not worth it man, you did the right thing by just leaving.

You did the right thing by being the bigger person and leaving it. The situation might have looked in your favour but who knows what he was carrying under his clothes or something?

Better to walk away and lose a little pride than get into a situation where the outcome could be a lot worse than you predict.

Most times when you come across someone who is so anxious to fight it out it is best to walk away. Most likely the person is dealing with some issues of their own which they are not able to keep to themselves. Great of you to walk away!

I have seen a video posted on this forum in the same situation. It was a funny video because the guy who retaliated and tried to go after the guy on a bike tripped and lie flat on his belly. That was the most funny attack I had seen. Good for the biker because he made a good decision to leave and was able to record the video

I had nothing to gain by clobbering him. Lol. Been in enough fights to know I always feel really bad after I get in one and really don't want to hurt anyone again. Would love to see that video.

I've had people get an attitude with me when I've tried to (safely) pass them on the trails, but never have I had anyone act like they were going to fight me! It sounds like you had a run-in with a crazy guy who was spoiling for a fight one way or another!

That said, people who walk on bike trails and then get ****** off at cyclists who are using the trails for their intended purpose are a HUGE pet peeve of mine, I'm glad you verbally shut him down :)

Well done for pursuing the right course of action. It's best to be in control of your temper and ego, thereby avoiding something that you would regret later. Very likely, you could've beaten this guy into a pulp. Given his age and physical condition, that would mean putting him in a coma or even killing him. That would land you up in big trouble with the law and ruin the rest of your life. And even if you didn't beat him up too badly, he'd probably sue you just to get even. Therefore, you should have no regrets for moving on and not initiating a physical altercation.