Almost got to see a Darwin Award yesterday!

jpr95

Oct 11, 2010
Unfortunately, I could have ended up an unwilling participant.

I was cycling along a slightly rolling section of road that is not highly traveled, about 2 feet or so from the right side of the road--two lanes wide, no shoulder, no paint--a county road, part of my regular riding. Some dude whose last name was Ron (first name Mo), came flying around me entirely on the other side of the road (in a car) when there was a little rise in the road ahead of us. (35 MPH or so is probably safe, this guy was easily doing 60+) Just as he gets past me, a minivan pops up over the rise coming the other way. The guy who passed me had to lock his brakes and get a little sideways before he managed to get back on the right side of the road. I was far enough back that I probably would have been okay, but nonetheless, I was on my brakes and heading for the ditch (didn't have to go in, thankfully). I may have muttered a 4-letter word, too. Okay, I'll admit I did describe the situation in 4 letters...

Jason

Yikes!!

I bet that almost made the minivan driver drop their cell phone. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm glad you weren't hurt. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

I don't know why some people think its OK to go over a crest on the wrong side of the road when passing a cyclist. It only takes a few seconds to slow down and pass when safe, idiots. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif