Almost lost it this morning doing a low speed turn

Wrightstuff

Dec 6, 2004
Almost dropped the bike this morning doing a low speed turn on a bike path in the wet after the rear tyre slipped while turning. The rear tyre is a Conti gatorskin ultra (23 mm) which I have had on the bike for a month and have ridden under wet contitions before -albeit on the road.

I have previously been using Specialized all condition tyres (also 23 mm) and not had the same problem. Any suggestions on how to reduce the propensity to skid/slip under wet conditions ? I thought maybe dropping the tyre pressure from 115 psi to a lower pressure - but what ?

Many thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Steve

Drop the pressures, I run 95 front 105 rear at 85kg rider weight. If the path was wet concrete, be more careful. ;)

Drop the pressures about 10 psi below what you normally run...

Also watch out for painted lines on the cycle paths, one of those has taken me down in the past, it was painted to divide a concrete footpath and the bitumen cycleway, I had to cross it to go round a branch that had blown down, as I came back across there was a slight lip, that coupled with the slick paint took the front wheel out and the next thing I know I'm on the deck.....

liability claim for the paint manufacturer!! hee hee!!

George, who sells Felt in Melbourne?
the southcott site doesn't seem to function too well...

the usual theory is drop your pressure to get more rubber on the road in the wet. It could be more technique though (the slip) because you were going slowly and you may have put a bit of torque thru the rear to maintain momentum...I have gatorskin on my rear wheel and even after 600+kms carrying 73kgs of lard, the tread still looks shiny and seems "slippery" so I ain't surprised you had a near-lose

Surly 115psi is a tad over for the tyre, right?

Under normal dry condition, the recommended pressure is only 110psi top with many suggesting 100-105psi. Under wet, that extra few psi is surly to blame.

Blame the usage rather than the equipment.

Archibald said:
liability claim for the paint manufacturer!! hee hee!!

George, who sells Felt in Melbourne?
the southcott site doesn't seem to function too well...
Melbourne Bicycle Centre in Prahran (www.bikes.com.au) has them.
I bought my Felt last year from Bicycle Superstore (www.bicyclesuperstore.com.au), out at Ferntree Gully, but that store has closed. Some of the staff (who were very helpful) are now at their Dandenong store. I think MBC has a better range of Felt though, and on the whole will probably be cheaper.
If you know what you want, and have the confidence to buy online, try Dean Woods (www.deanwoods.com.au) or The Bicycle Store (www.bicyclestore.com.au).

gclark8 said:
Drop the pressures, I run 95 front 105 rear at 85kg rider weight. If the path was wet concrete, be more careful. ;)
If the path is a temporary rubber path, AVOID IT!
There is a temporary path in place for the red bull air race on the south perth foreshore. I followed another cyclist onto it and then he starts to lose control of his bike, and then I started to lose control of mine. For about 5m my bike was slipping out of control and I managed to get it off the temporary path onto the grass.

Was flipping wet...
No signs saying cyclist dismount, possibly slippery path, just Detour :mad: