Almost passed out

zaskar

Aug 3, 2003
Yesterday i had a scary experience, after a 2 hour recovery ride avg hrt of 110 very easy ride, i sat down at my buddies to eat. while waiting to eat i became very hot sweating, vision blurry, and dizzy. i thought i was gonna hit the floor. he offered me some juice wich i drank, and few minutes later im back to myself then i go ahead and eat. before eating i had only ate a harvest bar for breakfast at 8am, and had nothing until 3pm after my ride.
this is somthing i don't do is go with out eating. my question is, is this a sign of a blood sugar problem? anyone else experince this when you skip a meal?
is this reaction normal when the body is use to food every few hours? thanks for any input.

If you rode for 2 hours without eating, and did not drink anything, your results are not unusual. The only thing it indicates is poor planning.

Live and learn.

zaskar said:
...before eating i had only ate a harvest bar for breakfast at 8am, and had nothing until 3pm after my ride...

Based on your time, 7hrs you didnt have anything to eat. Low blood sugar. Go figure.

tanggoman said:
Based on your time, 7hrs you didnt have anything to eat. Low blood sugar. Go figure.
hypoglycemia i'd agree, i usually get a tingling sensation in my head and kneck sapped totally of energy and feel absalutely exhausted until an hour or so after i have binged on anything i can find, quick carb drinks, dextrose and other foods rich in carbs etc.

on one or 2 occassions on longer rides i have felt like this and had to stop at a local shop for a anumber of tins of spagetti and spaggetti bolognaise, only after half hour or so is it available as energy but thats some miles i could have done if i had only taken that little extra to eat on the move.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

I have to thank the people on this forum for their advice in preventing the same thing happening with me. I learned to eat a normal sized breakfast about 2 hours before riding, always drinking water to stay hydrated, then drink water and eat some energy bars while riding, and also to keep a sports drink handy to sip on occasion during the ride. I made sure to eat a good meal within 30 minutes of finishing........ I went out yesterday, did just 31 miles in 90-degree heat and a blazing sun, did all of the above and felt great afterwards.

zaskar said:
Yesterday i had a scary experience, after a 2 hour recovery ride avg hrt of 110 very easy ride, i sat down at my buddies to eat. while waiting to eat i became very hot sweating, vision blurry, and dizzy. i thought i was gonna hit the floor. he offered me some juice wich i drank, and few minutes later im back to myself then i go ahead and eat. before eating i had only ate a harvest bar for breakfast at 8am, and had nothing until 3pm after my ride.
this is somthing i don't do is go with out eating. my question is, is this a sign of a blood sugar problem? anyone else experince this when you skip a meal?
is this reaction normal when the body is use to food every few hours? thanks for any input.

Well, some more information would help (age, general fitness level, any prior medical history, meds).

Having said that, hypoglycemia is a definate possibility, but there are other things that could be involved. Sounds like a consultation with a physician is in order.

FYI, so you will know where I am coming from, I have been a paramedic for 10 years.

Matt

MattLarson said:
Well, some more information would help (age, general fitness level, any prior medical history, meds).

Having said that, hypoglycemia is a definate possibility, but there are other things that could be involved. Sounds like a consultation with a physician is in order.

FYI, so you will know where I am coming from, I have been a paramedic for 10 years.

Matt

Thanks, im 37 consider my self pretty fit place with in top 10 in races, can do a centry with no bonking.no medical history or meds. i did forget to mention i drank 1 &1/2 bottle of sports drink while riding. it was a very easy ride, even on hard rides i don't bonk.another thing i forgot to mention is i ate a small hershy bar about 10 minutes prior to feeling sick. since this, i have been feeling good and normal and have rode hard rides since with no problems, thanks for your input.

zaskar said:
Thanks, im 37 consider my self pretty fit place with in top 10 in races, can do a centry with no bonking.no medical history or meds. i did forget to mention i drank 1 &1/2 bottle of sports drink while riding. it was a very easy ride, even on hard rides i don't bonk.another thing i forgot to mention is i ate a small hershy bar about 10 minutes prior to feeling sick. since this, i have been feeling good and normal and have rode hard rides since with no problems, thanks for your input.
It seems likely that you just used up your glucose and glycogen stores, but you cannot rule anything else out without some testing.

I would suggest consulting a physician, just to be on the safe side.

Matt

zaskar said:
you felt sick! i do that within the first 15 minutes of cycling, when i slow slightly to recover, now i ain't sure if it a body tempreture issue but as long as i continue, yip i throw up 1 or 2 times but when i have recovered and pick up the pace again it passes.

then it doesn't matter how hard i try it doesnt happen again during my ride its just the first recovery but afterwards i feel fine. any ideas

zaskar said:

The symptoms you had sound like heat exhaustion to me.

dhk said:
The symptoms you had sound like heat exhaustion to me.
was that directed at me? if so how come after the one incident why does it not re occur even though i may be pushing harder than i was originally.

i been to the doctors, but after a camera down my throat he has decided that i have a heiatus hernia, he says that this is the reason im sick, although i am sick sometimes when i simply bend over, but once i have been on my bike and have vommitted within the first 15minutes i'm fine again alday until i either go for another ride or waken from a nap?

why would cycling have any effects on this alleged hernia! but i'm more inclined to go with your heat exhaustion theory, but still leaves a few answers...... its puzzling me

closesupport said:
was that directed at me? if so how come after the one incident why does it not re occur even though i may be pushing harder than i was originally.

i been to the doctors, but after a camera down my throat he has decided that i have a heiatus hernia, he says that this is the reason im sick, although i am sick sometimes when i simply bend over, but once i have been on my bike and have vommitted within the first 15minutes i'm fine again alday until i either go for another ride or waken from a nap?

why would cycling have any effects on this alleged hernia! but i'm more inclined to go with your heat exhaustion theory, but still leaves a few answers...... its puzzling me

No, my response was back to zaskar. Sorry, I don't know anything about the hernia condition you describe.