Almost ready to buy

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by archermd, May 8, 2007.

1. archermd

archermd New Member

I have been doing lots of research. A newbie, 45 yrs old, with some intermittent lower back pain (I have a few bad discs). I will be mostly on the road, but could hit a dirt road or shoulder now and then. I have now narrowed it down to the following choices (and am willing to spend $1,000 to 2,000 if needed):

Trek 7.5FX or Pilot 2.0, 2.1, or 5.0
    Specialized TriCross Comp Triple or Sirrus Pro or Limited or Sequoia Elite
    Cannondale Road Warrior 800

Looking to have comfortable riding position but ability to climb hills on roads and keep up with others but also like the idea of a 28 or 32 tire for stability on shoulder or dirt road should I find myself in such a place, or Rails-to-Trails,

Advice? Send it fast, since I plan to buy something this week. Thanks!

Tags:

2. cheapie

cheapie New Member

if you plan on riding with road riders then you're going to have to work a lot harder with these bikes in order to do so. if you're just going to be riding with a casual group, then there wouldn't be a problem.

i have a trek 5200 and a trek 7.5fx. i LOVE the 7.5fx. i use it for riding around town, riding with the kids, going on night rides, etc. very comfortable and fasssssst! BUT, it's clearly not as fast at my 5200 and i don't expect it to be. in fact, i flipped the stem down so that the riding position would help me climb a little better and more closely imitate my mtb and road bike position..

the pilot would probably be a cross between the 7.5 and a regular road bike. have you ridden them at all? take a few different ones out for a spin before you pull the trigger!