Alpe D'Huez

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tjf, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Tjf

    Tjf Guest

    Greetings, Anyone got any clues about where, when and how to get a good view of the TDF on the Alpe
    D'Huez stage. I'll be in Grenoble for 2 nights and have access to a car. Any idea how early they
    close the road to the top ? How far to walk for a good view etc? Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "TJF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings, Anyone got any clues about where, when and how to get a good view of the
    TDF
    > on the Alpe D'Huez stage. I'll be in Grenoble for 2 nights and have
    access
    > to a car. Any idea how early they close the road to the top ? How far to walk for a good view etc?
    > Thanks in advance.

    I did this in 1991. Memory is a bit rusty but I remember cycling to the top then backtracking
    throught the town to the entrance. Just before the town there are grass banks you can sit on which
    give you a view of much of the
    climb. You miss the finish but you get a great afternoon watching the tour come up.

    If you're cycling up be ready for the crazy descent. A few thousand cyclists hurtling down upteen
    bends is pretty scary. I was pouring with rain when I did it which made it all the more exciting.