Alpe D'Huez

Tjf

Guest
Greetings, Anyone got any clues about where, when and how to get a good view of the TDF on the Alpe
D'Huez stage. I'll be in Grenoble for 2 nights and have access to a car. Any idea how early they
close the road to the top ? How far to walk for a good view etc? Thanks in advance.

"TJF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Greetings, Anyone got any clues about where, when and how to get a good view of the
TDF
> on the Alpe D'Huez stage. I'll be in Grenoble for 2 nights and have
access
> to a car. Any idea how early they close the road to the top ? How far to walk for a good view etc?
> Thanks in advance.

I did this in 1991. Memory is a bit rusty but I remember cycling to the top then backtracking
throught the town to the entrance. Just before the town there are grass banks you can sit on which
give you a view of much of the
climb. You miss the finish but you get a great afternoon watching the tour come up.

If you're cycling up be ready for the crazy descent. A few thousand cyclists hurtling down upteen
bends is pretty scary. I was pouring with rain when I did it which made it all the more exciting.