Alpine Audax Classic 2007

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by neon, Jan 23, 2007.

1. neon

neon New Member

Well the weather looking good for Saturday, fine and 26. But bring a vest and some arm warmers, cool start of 13 and maybe a isolated showers in alpine area.

Tags:

2. Dancier

Dancier New Member

Sounds good, all packed and ready to go, leaving in the morning.

3. Walrus

Walrus New Member

Don't know where you're getting your forecast, but that looks like the Wangaratta forecast. Bright forecast is actually 15 and cool - http://www.weather.com.au/vic/bright. Wang is 70km from Bright and lower in altitude.

Please tell me I'm wrong, cause if it's 15 in Bright then it's sub 10 on Falls.

4. MikeyOz

MikeyOz New Member

Probably right... however somewhere on the site it mentioned they were basing their cancellation of the 200 km ride on the tempature the day before in Wangaratta. I think it was if it is forecasted to be 38 or higher the 200 event would be cancelled.

5. Walrus

Walrus New Member

Yep, they introduced that after last year's debacle. We'll be fine this year. Enjoy the cool temps in teh valleys, and take some protection for the descents...;)

6. neon

neon New Member

Northeast and alpine forecasts from the BOM. Do know what those weather.com guys have been smoking, drizzle, mostly sunny, cool, 13 degrees, what the?

7. Walrus

Walrus New Member

The BOM forecast (Northeast) only covers Wangaratta which is 70km away. Still, there's a big differential between 26 & fine in Wang...and 13 and drizzle in Bright. I'm rooting for 26 and fine! Don't fancy carrying all those extra layers for the Falls descent.

8. neon

neon New Member

Well the weather great. Fine 22. Sure there was a bit of a head wind in places and the descend off the mountains was a bit cool, but after last year I'm not complaining.

I was happy with a sub 7 hours for the 140km. :D

A big thanks to the Audax club and all the volunteers for another well run event. The cakes from the Bright bakery at the Mt Buffalo feed station was just what I needed to get me home.

9. MikeyOz

MikeyOz New Member

Did the ride with my brother..... it was the first Audux event I have ever been in and I can say it was an absoluetely fantastic event, the organisation was great and the food selection was phenominal it was like a day long picnic with some riding in between :) We stayed in Myrtleford at a B&B out of the "hustle and bustle" of Bright :) Was just a fantastic weekend all the way around.

10. MikeyOz

MikeyOz New Member

Did the ride with my brother..... it was the first Audux event I have ever been in and I can say it was an absoluetely fantastic event, the organisation was great and the food selection was phenominal it was like a day long picnic with some riding in between :) We stayed in Myrtleford at a B&B out of the "hustle and bustle" of Bright :) Was just a fantastic weekend all the way around, beautiful weather, enjoyed the salad rolls, Green cordial and man those fruit jelly cups at the end were awesome.

11. jazmo

jazmo New Member

Congratulations to everyone who took part in this event. Sounds like Audax did another great job.

Those fruit jelly cups sound really nice MikeyOz - it's those special touches they have that makes the event a stand out from the others... like that lady up the top of Mt Buffalo washing sunnies for riders when I did the ride in '05.

12. RobM

RobM New Member

Audax definitely did a magnificent job of organising the day. I simply get a kick out of seeing so many cyclists who are nuts enough to actively look for hills! - to get so many of them together in a beautiful part of the world just makes for a brilliant day.

13. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Good on everyone who did it, i'm still cut that I couldn't make it.

14. ProfTournesol

ProfTournesol New Member

just under 9 hours for the 140km, disappointing, but seeing as I did Hotham on Monday, I think that my muscle mitochondria were still in shock! Incidentally my TRIMPS score for Hotham was 25% higher than it was for Col du Tourmelet - tough mountain!

15. flyingdutch

flyingdutch New Member

'TRIMPS' ???

16. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

As a loitering bystander I heartily concur, a superb day for cycling up big hills that was a million miles away from last years horrific weather conditions.

Bikesoiler completed a brilliant 140km, I was in admiration when he returned to our accomodation at about 10.30 for a pitstop/sandwich/refill. Hopefully if a couple of existing health issues behave themselves this year, I'll be able to do suitable prep and hill climbing to do either the 70 or 72km in '08.

Other observations, the newly constructed Bright Brewery was doing a roaring trade to the herds of thirsty cyclists and we highly recommend the porter & dubbel. Also went to Boytons 'clearance sale' where I discovered they were also getting another local brewery to produce a drop. Bought the pilsner & ale for sampling, the tasting notes should be posted on PubBUG soon. ;)

17. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

18. MikeyOz

MikeyOz New Member

19. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

Those anatomically correct bits also squeeked.

20. MikeyOz

MikeyOz New Member

yes! saw that and heard them.