alpine RR (brief)

Bleve said:
200km, 42 degress up Buffalo, tag it & bag it.

Details : 9968kcal (est by Polar S720)
202.8km (including ride to Bright from Porepunka in the morning)
av HR : 136
av speed 21.2 (!)
alt gained : 3785m
time : 9.37.30
bidon's emptied over body - lots
bidons drunk - 11
**** stops - 1 (!)
max temp seen : 50 degress (at Bright in the sun at the control point
before Buffalo)

Bonus points to the AUDAX organisers for free icecreams at the top of
Buffalo. Never has an icecream tasted so good! Got to say, AUDAX
organised a very good event - there was loads of motorbikes with water
etc on Buffalo, every 5 mins one would go past - very reasuring. I
think next year I might volunteer to ride a MB and help out, one Alpine
is enough for this lazy sprinter.

Drive home via Yea to Vermont redirected back to Hume by huge bushfire
blocking Melba Hwy. Smoke, Yea town under serious threat ... we have
photos .. amazing ... scary. I hope they're ok.

If anyone's wondering what the chopper was for, a rider had a meltdown
(liquified muscles, renal failure etc) and was airlifted to the Alfred
I think - according the local ambo at Mertleford.

One hot day at the office... glad it's over, I'm going to bed.

Hey Bleve,
well done! I've just returned after a few extra rides up Buffalo & Tawonga Gap:)
I pulled the pin at the base of Buffalo: I was doing the 140km, back at Bright by 10am feeling good, average of 20km/hr, lots of comments on the Bike Friday.
I had a half hour stop at the house we were staying in at Bright to change and shower and re-hydrate, left Bright when the temp was 33 degrees, half and hour later at the Buffalo pay station it was 43 degrees! I'd been pouring water over my head to cool down but this became ineffective. Pulse rate wouldn't rise over 140 or drop below 110 so it was time to return to Bright. When I returned and cooled down I discovered that the water bottles that I had removed chilled from the fridge an hour before were literally hot enough to wash the dishes with. A friend of mine scalded her hand on the water that I'd been pouring over my head! I was so hot that I couldn't feel it at all:-(

I had a good time up until then though:)

It was a harder decision to pull out than it was to continue, but much more sensible. Incidentally someone told me that his HR monitor showed a temp of 49 up the Mt Beauty side of Tawonga Gap @ midday!
I spent the rest of the day lying in the creek.

ProfTournesol wrote:

> Hey Bleve,
> well done! I've just returned after a few extra rides up Buffalo &
> Tawonga Gap:)

Just to make sure they're still there? :)

Bleve said:
ProfTournesol wrote:

> Hey Bleve,
> well done! I've just returned after a few extra rides up Buffalo &
> Tawonga Gap:)

Just to make sure they're still there? :)

just to make sure that I was still there:)

It's actually a very pleasant climb when it isn't 43!

SuzieB said:
LOL I think FINISHING is an achievement in weather like that - hard to set time goals with conditions like those! :D

staying healthy is an achievement in conditions like that. A friend of mine who finishes at the pointy end drank 14 water bottles in 7 hours, could have drunk twice as many if he's had them, and was stuffed!

Hows the guy that was airlifted, I saw on C2M, someone saying he was still in a coma...but reading stompers post, he's in the Royal Melb in not too bad shape. More than 1 airlifted?

ProfTournesol wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > ProfTournesol wrote:
> >

> > > Hey Bleve,
> > > well done! I've just returned after a few extra rides up Buffalo &
> > > Tawonga Gap:)

> > Just to make sure they're still there? :)

> just to make sure that I was still there:)
>
> It's actually a very pleasant climb when it isn't 43!

Yeah, I like tawonga from Mt Beauty, did it 2 years ago early one
morning in March... good climb, great descent!

Bleve said:
ProfTournesol wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > ProfTournesol wrote:
> >

> It's actually a very pleasant climb when it isn't 43!

Yeah, I like tawonga from Mt Beauty, did it 2 years ago early one
morning in March... good climb, great descent!

I like the descent into Bright as the corners are more open = faster:)