alps vs 404

endurancenoob

Jun 30, 2003
I'm getting a set of race wheels mainly for time-trials and road races. Ican choose between hed alps and zipp 404 with american classic hubs for several hundred dollars more. Do you think there's a big difference in aerodynamics betweeen these two wheels. I'm no weight weenie.

Go for the Zipp 404. The are 58mm instead of 50mm, have less spokes, don't have that alloy braking surface and are 300grams lighter. And they are tubular. The Zipp 404 are a bit flexi, so if you are more then 75kg or something, you can better buy the special zipp 404 for heavy riders.

Speding so much money (zipp 404 - $1400) I suggest you to buy a pair of Campangolo Bora G3 wheels ($1700). Just because they are the best fabric-made wheels available. Only some very special and rare wheels like ADA, Zipp Z3 are better (but $3000).

Originally posted by endurancenoob
I'm getting a set of race wheels mainly for time-trials and road races. Ican choose between hed alps and zipp 404 with american classic hubs for several hundred dollars more. Do you think there's a big difference in aerodynamics betweeen these two wheels. I'm no weight weenie.

Spinergy Tilium Carbon

It makes no sense buying such expensice wheels and start cruying about $300.

Normal tubulars for this type of wheels are $300....

Spending $1000 on a Thilium is as stupid as spending $250.000 on a Nissan NSX if you can buy a Ferrari for the same prize.

Originally posted by marlon1
It makes no sense buying such expensice wheels and start cruying about $300.

Normal tubulars for this type of wheels are $300....

Spending $1000 on a Thilium is as stupid as spending $250.000 on a Nissan NSX if you can buy a Ferrari for the same prize.

I see your point. But you mean Acura NSX right? And you mean $90000, right? :p Besides, Tiliums can be had for $800 from nytro.com.

If you really want the Ferrari, but at a NSX price, call up endurosport.com and see if they'll still sell you a 404 sewup or clincherlaced to AC hubs for C$1000/US$800