also in Hyde Park

Simonb

Guest
MartinM wrote:
> You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
> colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle
> lanes.

Cripes. I kew she was important, but I didn't realise she had her own staff.

You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle lanes.
The solution to this potential problem was to add a gravel unskateable
coating to all but the cycle lane, ie all the footpaths. So we now have to
share the ~ 3m wide cycle lane with bladers, who often zig zig all over the
path in front of cyclists. I have collided with one. Well done Westminter
city council (or Royal Parks or whoever maintains the park).

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MartinM wrote:
> > You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
> > colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle
> > lanes.

> Cripes. I kew she was important, but I didn't realise she had her own

staff.

a researcher I think. And not wearing a helmet (Dang, done it now!)

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
> colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle

lanes.
> The solution to this potential problem was to add a gravel unskateable
> coating to all but the cycle lane, ie all the footpaths. So we now have to
> share the ~ 3m wide cycle lane with bladers, who often zig zig all over

the
> path in front of cyclists. I have collided with one.....

If you think about it, we cyclists actually have quite a lot in common with
bladers, the main difference being that they have smaller wheels!

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
> > colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle

> lanes.
> > The solution to this potential problem was to add a gravel unskateable
> > coating to all but the cycle lane, ie all the footpaths. So we now have

> > share the ~ 3m wide cycle lane with bladers, who often zig zig all over

> the
> > path in front of cyclists. I have collided with one.....

> If you think about it, we cyclists actually have quite a lot in common

with
> bladers, the main difference being that they have smaller wheels!

And no brakes.
I don't have a great problem with the bladers, they are generally very
bike-aware; just that due to one high profile accident the authorities have
made the situation even worse. And for some strange reason the pedestrians
seem to prefer the cycle lane to the 10m wide parallel footpath.

Adrian Boliston wrote:
> "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
>>colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle

> lanes.
>
>>The solution to this potential problem was to add a gravel unskateable
>>coating to all but the cycle lane, ie all the footpaths. So we now have to
>>share the ~ 3m wide cycle lane with bladers, who often zig zig all over

> the
>
>>path in front of cyclists. I have collided with one.....

> If you think about it, we cyclists actually have quite a lot in common with
> bladers, the main difference being that they have smaller wheels!

Cept I think by the nature of things they cant really go in a straight
line.. Scarey to watch. Or maybe I have only seen the crrap ones.

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
>> > colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle

>> lanes.
>> > The solution to this potential problem was to add a gravel unskateable
>> > coating to all but the cycle lane, ie all the footpaths. So we now have

>> > share the ~ 3m wide cycle lane with bladers, who often zig zig all over

>> the
>> > path in front of cyclists. I have collided with one.....

>> If you think about it, we cyclists actually have quite a lot in common

> with
>> bladers, the main difference being that they have smaller wheels!

> And no brakes.
> I don't have a great problem with the bladers, they are generally very
> bike-aware; just that due to one high profile accident the authorities
> have
> made the situation even worse. And for some strange reason the
> pedestrians
> seem to prefer the cycle lane to the 10m wide parallel footpath.

When I first read your message (as a skater and cyclist), I was a bit peeved
with the attitude towards another minority transport. I know a couple of
people who have used skates to get to work. Hyde Park is the main area in
London for skaters to practise. It is your responsibility to pass safely.

However, reading this following response, I agree with your view. Skaters
should be allowed to use ped routes as well, if safe to do so. I have
occasionally used pavements on my bike (against my want), to safely allow
large vehicles to pass (i.e. buses and artics). Often, judgement is a lot
safer than regulation/prevention.

I remember this clearly. One thing that surprised me is that WEstminster
Council didn't do anything about the speed of some of these roller bladers.

--
Vivian
-------

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
> colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle

lanes.
> The solution to this potential problem was to add a gravel unskateable
> coating to all but the cycle lane, ie all the footpaths. So we now have to
> share the ~ 3m wide cycle lane with bladers, who often zig zig all over

the
> path in front of cyclists. I have collided with one. Well done Westminter
> city council (or Royal Parks or whoever maintains the park).

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:15:52 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>When I first read your message (as a skater and cyclist), I was a bit peeved
>with the attitude towards another minority transport.

Minority transport? Snort!

Anyone sticking up for commuters on pogo-sticks?
--

Cheers,

Al

In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
<[email protected]> writes
>You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
>colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle lanes.
>The solution to this potential problem was to add a gravel unskateable
>coating to all but the cycle lane, ie all the footpaths. So we now have to
>share the ~ 3m wide cycle lane with bladers, who often zig zig all over the
>path in front of cyclists. I have collided with one. Well done Westminter
>city council (or Royal Parks or whoever maintains the park).

I was cycling there this afternoon at the corner near Marble Arch -
didn't notice any gravel. I did see a roller blader fall on her
backside, though.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
> <[email protected]> writes
> >You may all remember one of Esther Rantzen's staff being killed after
> >colliding on a bike with a rollerblader on one of the Hyde Park cycle

lanes.
> >The solution to this potential problem was to add a gravel unskateable
> >coating to all but the cycle lane, ie all the footpaths. So we now have

> >share the ~ 3m wide cycle lane with bladers, who often zig zig all over

the
> >path in front of cyclists. I have collided with one. Well done Westminter
> >city council (or Royal Parks or whoever maintains the park).

> I was cycling there this afternoon at the corner near Marble Arch -
> didn't notice any gravel. I did see a roller blader fall on her
> backside, though.

well the whole footpath has been re-surfaced in a gravelly surface, the bit
I am referring to is the wide path with just a narrow cycle lane down the
East side all the way down to Hyde Park Corner, not very noticeable on a
bike but the skaters do not appear to be able to use it. The corner right
next to the Marble Arch one way sytem is all no cycling anyway, the cycle
path goes along the carraige drive towards Lancaster Gate, and has large
"Psyclepath closed" signs whenever they are planning a major event like like
Party in the Park/Proms etc (ie about 1/4 of the time by the time they set
it up and take it away) as it is full of HGV's and buggies to take TV people
who cannot use their legs between the car park and the actual venue. All
cyclists sensibly ignore this sign preferring to avoid parked HGV's etc than
mix it with the traffic on Bayswater Road.

In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
<[email protected]> writes

>and has large
>"Psyclepath closed" signs whenever they are planning a major event like like
>Party in the Park/Proms etc (ie about 1/4 of the time by the time they set
>it up and take it away) as it is full of HGV's and buggies to take TV people
>who cannot use their legs between the car park and the actual venue. All
>cyclists sensibly ignore this sign preferring to avoid parked HGV's etc than
>mix it with the traffic on Bayswater Road.

On the North Carriage Drive today around mid day there were stop signs
blocking traffic going west, though I ignored them and at the Victoria
Gate end there was a barrier across the lane blocking east-bound
traffic. Along the way I noticed one or two people wearing fluorescent
vests, but there didn't appear to be anything happening.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, MartinM
> <[email protected]> writes
>
> >and has large
> >"Psyclepath closed" signs whenever they are planning a major event like

like
> >Party in the Park/Proms etc (ie about 1/4 of the time by the time they

set
> >it up and take it away) as it is full of HGV's and buggies to take TV

people
> >who cannot use their legs between the car park and the actual venue. All
> >cyclists sensibly ignore this sign preferring to avoid parked HGV's etc

than
> >mix it with the traffic on Bayswater Road.

> On the North Carriage Drive today around mid day there were stop signs
> blocking traffic going west, though I ignored them and at the Victoria
> Gate end there was a barrier across the lane blocking east-bound
> traffic. Along the way I noticed one or two people wearing fluorescent
> vests, but there didn't appear to be anything happening.

apart from Proms in the Park tonight!
they use it to park and unload HGV's and also celebs. 2 yrs ago it was used
as a marshalling point for all the Buck Hice traffic for the Queen's Golden
Jubille, right pain that was, lasted about 6 weeks. I think they put the
signs up as a safety precaution.