Also in Power Training Forum - VO2max test interpretation - implications for training

Roadie_scum

Nov 14, 2003
I am working with a very talented rider who could probably currently be considered trained, but far from well trained. He has been riding max 10 hours a week. Recently he had a VO2max test and something piqued my interest in the data when combined with my knowledge of his training background.

If anyone wants to confirm my theory or tell me I'm off my tree, either would be welcome, or offer your own ideas.

This rider was a very talented junior, making state and national teams on the road and putting in some good pursuits on the track. He then raced infrequently for a couple of years, before committing a bit more and doing big miles and a good training block, then racing overseas. Whilst racing overseas he was at a similar bodyweight and body composition to now, and he tested at ~80ml/kg/min. Now, a couple of years later, he has tested at ~67ml/kg/min. Obviously this is a long way from his genetic ceiling.

The thing that interested me is that there is not an obvious plateau in his VO2 measurements before cessation of the test. I know this occurs somewhat frequently but I don't have sufficient expertise in examining such tests to really know how often. What I am wondering is this: does the lack of a plateau indicate a different cause of fatigue to a plateau occuring. For example, my thought was that perhaps the rider hasn't truly hit his ceiling for VO2, but instead doesn't have sufficient resistance to neural fatigue of motor units. This might align with his observation that he rarely needs to train with hard VO2max intervals, but instead in the past has effectively pushed up all parts of his power-duration curve with long slow(ish - coggan L2) rides and a little bit of L3-L4 climbing.

This rider has also shown a remarkable ability to oxidise fat in the lab...

So, I'm thinking, if there is any merit to my logic, when training in a time limited environment he should focus on L2-3-4 SST to get similar metabolic adaptions to when he used to ride longer slow rides and push his p-d curve up from the right.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms on any or all of this are welcomed...

Peace,

Roadie