Alternate Derailleur Cable Routing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by G. Huang, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. G. Huang

    G. Huang Guest

    I remember the discussion on the 9-spd DA derailleur having a second (alternate) ancher point to
    attach the cable to increase the cage movement so that the spacing between 9spd STI clicks is
    translated to the spacing of the 8-spd cogs. Can one do the same with a non-DA derailleur,
    specifically, the previous generation Shimano 600 derailleur? I like to verify this before filing a
    second groove under the bolt.

    GH

    Tags:

  2. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    I dont know if it works with DA, but it workd on a 8sp XT derailleur and a 9sp Deore shifter. The
    cable pull between Shimano MTB and Road rear shifters/derailleurs is the same. I routed the cable
    over on the upper (opposite) side the fixing bolt. Note, the agle of the cable gets pretty sharp
    when you are on the largest cog, but it does work.

    On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:24:14 -0500, "G. Huang" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I remember the discussion on the 9-spd DA derailleur having a second (alternate) ancher point to
    >attach the cable to increase the cage movement so that the spacing between 9spd STI clicks is
    >translated to the spacing of the 8-spd cogs. Can one do the same with a non-DA derailleur,
    >specifically, the previous generation Shimano 600 derailleur? I like to verify this before filing a
    >second groove under the bolt.
    >
    >GH

    >I remember the discussion on the 9-spd DA derailleur having a second (alternate) ancher point to
    >attach the cable to increase the cage movement so that the spacing between 9spd STI clicks is
    >translated to the spacing of the 8-spd cogs. Can one do the same with a non-DA derailleur,
    >specifically, the previous generation Shimano 600 derailleur? I like to verify this before filing a
    >second groove under the bolt.

    there is no need to do this with non-DA derailleurs. Before 9spd, DA derailleurs had a slightly
    different geometry than the rest of the shimano line. With 9spd, DA was changed so that the geometry
    is the same as the rest of the shimano line. So the only reason the new DA has the alternate
    position is to make it compatible with the old geometry.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  4. G. Huang

    G. Huang Guest

    Alex Rodriguez wrote:

    >>I remember the discussion on the 9-spd DA derailleur having a second (alternate) ancher point to
    >>attach the cable to increase the cage movement so that the spacing between 9spd STI clicks is
    >>translated to the spacing of the 8-spd cogs. Can one do the same with a non-DA derailleur,
    >>specifically, the previous generation Shimano 600 derailleur? I like to verify this before filing
    >>a second groove under the bolt.
    >
    > there is no need to do this with non-DA derailleurs. Before 9spd, DA derailleurs had a slightly
    > different geometry than the rest of the shimano line. With 9spd, DA was changed so that the
    > geometry is the same as the rest of the shimano line. So the only reason the new DA has the
    > alternate position is to make it compatible with the old geometry.

    There is no need to do this if you have a 9spd shifter and a 9spd cassette. But if you want to use a
    9 spd shifter with an 8spd rear, you still need to somehow correctly translate the amount of cable
    pull. In my case, I want to use an 8spd STI shifter with a 6spd freewheel.

    GH