alternate theories about why recumbents don't sell

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> .
>
> That the DF is a compromise is no surprise, but it's a really good
> compromise for most riders. It combines agility, easy visibility (for
> both seeing and being seen), very good performance in a wide range of
> conditions, simplicity, and a compact design (even when it's not a
> compact frame...). Recumbents have a lot to compete with.
>
> The comfy ones are slow, the fast ones are sketchy,

Good summary.

- Frank Krygowski

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> My experience is the main excuses for not riding much come down to
> issues of confidence, skill (for lack of a better word; we're talking
> clumsy or unpracticed riders), or perceived safety. None of these
> non-riders (or not-much riders) generally spend enough time on any bike
> for comfort to be a factor.
>
> Of the ones who spend enough time on a bike to actually get
> uncomfortable, I know of one that stopped because of comfort. He had
> substantial mid-life spinal disc degeneration, and switched to running,
> and is the guy I talked about who might get a 'bent. LWB, most likely.
> I've pointed him at 'bents that I've come across.

To a certain extend what you observe depends on where you're located.
And you really need to look at what sells on the LOW end of the market,
because these are the toughest customers, most intolerant of
inconvenience. People who will pay $3000 for a road bike have already
committed themselves to riding, and have resolved themselves to the fact
that it's painful--either as a result of needing a competition-legal
bike, or (much more often) because they aren't aware of anything
drastically better.

At the low end of the US market there are four types of bikes commonly
available: road bikes, MTB's, hybrids and comfort bikes. Low-end road
bikes and MTBs are patterned directly after their upper-end racing
versions. Hybrids and comfort bikes are not. Hybrids were invented for
people who liked the MTB riding position better than road bikes, but who
didn't need the heavy-duty construction. Comfort bikes were patterned
after hybrids, but made changes such as riser handlebars and bigger and
lower seats.

Who drove the market in hybrids and comfort bikes? People who won't ride
because it is physically uncomfortable.

> There are plenty of mitigations for comfort issues with saddle pain and
> numb hands. Getting the right saddle is important (once I found a cheap
> one that fit me well, I gathered up every one I could find), but not
> hard. I do multi-hour rides with ease.

Why are "mitigations" even necessary? Because of a poor design.

If you had bought a recumbent bike, it would likely only have one seat
available, that one would work just fine for you and the vast majority
of the rest of humanity, and you still wouldn't need to wear padded
shorts or padded gloves to ride it. I don't even /own/ any padded shorts
or gloves anymore.

I also question how "painless" [any upright rider] thinks their ride is,
when they haven't tried anything better. There is an enormous difference
in comfort between recumbents and uprights and the longer the ride is,
the more dramatic that difference becomes.

> I have no firsthand experience, but I suspect many 'bent riders go
> through a similar process of finding a saddle that is just right.

No, not really. Most recumbents are only ever available with one type of
seat, often that seat cannot be changed (with many trikes it's even
integral with the frame) and there's only about four or five different
types total. People may have their preferences but it's very rare to see
someone (with no health conditions such as a back injury) claim that a
certain seat is practically unusable.

> As for numb hands, it's a matter of bar position mostly:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html
>
> Sheldon's general article on cycling pain covers most of the details:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

I don't know how much experience Sheldon has with recumbents. As far as
I've heard he was only driven to one due to declining health. Many of
the issues on his "page of pain" pretty much don't occur on a recumbent
at all and when they do occur, they are often far less severe than what
you'd experience on an upright bike.

This is a common perception however, that recumbents are only for people
who cannot tolerate an upright bike. I have had both kinds of bicycles,
and I've found that I enjoy riding a lot more when it hurts less.

> I think the great mass of people who avoid cycling due to actual comfort
> issues are few. Certainly, I know people who think dual-suspension (for
> substantially paved riding) is the route to cycling nirvana, but as far
> as I can tell, most of those riders are choosing their first bicycle as
> a teen or adult, and few do so with the counsel of an experienced
> cyclist.

Funny you should mention dual-suspension; the last upright bike I kept
was a Pro-Flex 856 MTB with slicks for street riding.

A lot of "experienced cyclists" don't know as much as they think they
do. Most bike shops don't have recumbents at all, and they'd rather sell
a person a dozen different seats than tell them where to go to get a
bicycle that doesn't hurt to ride.

> How to say this diplomatically? The HPVs out there competing for HPV
> speed records seem to me like an interesting pursuit of technology and
> sport. But they're as specialized as the Thrust SSC.

The bicycles you are talking about are called "faired streamliners". To
allow them against conventional unfaired bicycles certainly wouldn't be
much of a contest--but many recumbents have lower drag, even without the
use of fairings. It would be enough for UCI to change the rules to say
"any vehicle propelled by human power, and without devices for
aerodynamic benefit alone". Team Bachetta seems to do pretty well
without fairings.
~

DougC wrote:

> To a certain extend what you observe depends on where you're located.
> And you really need to look at what sells on the LOW end of the market,
> because these are the toughest customers, most intolerant of
> inconvenience. People who will pay $3000 for a road bike have already
> committed themselves to riding, and have resolved themselves to the fact
> that it's painful--either as a result of needing a competition-legal
> bike, or (much more often) because they aren't aware of anything
> drastically better.

Sorry, but that's ********. You're describing ordinary cycling as a
masochistic experience. But my ordinary riding is NOT painful. It's
not uncomfortable in the least.

The only discomfort I feel is if I'm overextending myself, as in riding
a 75 mile ride when I haven't yet gone beyond, say, 35 miles. Maybe
that's easier on recumbent riders, but I know it's not perfectly
comfortable for them, either. Read upthread about that recumbent rider
suffering leg cramps on a century ride.

You're also ignoring the fact that I've known several cyclists who took
up recumbents, then gave them up and went back to uprights. They
obviously disagreed with your evaluations.

> At the low end of the US market there are four types of bikes commonly
> available: road bikes, MTB's, hybrids and comfort bikes. Low-end road
> bikes and MTBs are patterned directly after their upper-end racing
> versions. Hybrids and comfort bikes are not. Hybrids were invented for
> people who liked the MTB riding position better than road bikes, but who
> didn't need the heavy-duty construction. Comfort bikes were patterned
> after hybrids, but made changes such as riser handlebars and bigger and
> lower seats.

It's a fiction that many bikes are designed by copying racing bikes.

Try reading some of the history of bike design. Jan Heine, of Bicycle
Quarterly magazine, has demonstrated pretty convincingly that the
Technical Trials of the 1930s caused touring bikes to lead racing bikes
in innovation. The purpose of those Trials was to advance the design
of bikes for touring, and to do so, the Trials rewarded multiple gears,
fenders, lights, luggage capacity, and other items that meant nothing
to racers. If recumbents really were so obviously superior, the crowd
promoting the Trials would certainly have endorsed them, whether or not
they were legal for racing.

> If you had bought a recumbent bike, it would likely only have one seat
> available, that one would work just fine for you and the vast majority
> of the rest of humanity, and you still wouldn't need to wear padded
> shorts or padded gloves to ride it. I don't even /own/ any padded shorts
> or gloves anymore.

So what is the definition of "recumbutt" again?

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/archive/index.php/t-11083.html

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> Sorry, but that's ********. You're describing ordinary cycling as a
> masochistic experience. But my ordinary riding is NOT painful. It's
> not uncomfortable in the least.

I'm not talking about any one person's experience; I am talking about a
collective number of people who buy hybrid and comfort bikes, and a
bunch of companies selling bikes in the USA who make them.

> It's a fiction that many bikes are designed by copying racing bikes.

Ummm, nope.
If you look at a $300 road bike in any bike shop (today that is,,, not
75 years ago) and compare it to the bikes used in the TdF, any average
(non-riding) person would say that they are /pretty/ much alike. Sure,
the pro bikes are lighter and have mechanical parts that function
somewhat better, but if you squint a bit, you can't see a whole lot of
difference between them. The overall riding positions and frame
geometries are very close. With MTB's it's the same story as well,
between department-store examples and ones used at the top levels.

This is the surprising part about upright bikes--the expensive ones tend
to have the same comfort issues as the cheap ones.

> So what is the definition of "recumbutt" again?
>
> http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/archive/index.php/t-11083.html
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Some people do have this problem, one type of recumbent seat seems to be
prone to it. But most people do not, and even many that do (on that
page) say it's not severe enough to keep them from riding. Only that it
is not ideal. ----And I stand by my earlier assertion that most
recumbent companies do not offer /any/ choice of seats. The seat
attachments are not standardized.

....I do tend to get some mild recumbutt after 4-5 hours of continuous,
non-stop riding (that is, always on the bike pedaling, not stopping at
all). If I get off for a bit, I'm okay for another 4-5 hours. This is
casual riding, I've not ever entered a race. It generally takes much
longer on a recumbent to experience seat pain, and even at that--what
you do experience is far less severe than what you'll get from an
upright bike's saddle.

Here's a fun question--can anyone name /any/ upright bicycles that will
not accept standard seats? (-current or relatively-recent manufacture,
no antiques please-) If the manufacturer felt the seat was truly ideal,
then owners wouldn't need to change it, correct?
I know of only the RANS CF bikes (Fusion, Cruz, ect), and these are
"semi-recumbnets", made by a recumbent-bike company.
Are there any others?.....
~

I have often seen it asserted that on an upright bicycle, the saddle is
not supposed to support the entire weight of the riders torso--and that
the rider (if they are using proper form) is supposed to partially
support the weight of their torso with their arms and legs.

Now, I think this is a sad excuse for what is simply a poor bicycle
design. I know back when I had upright bikes I certainly didn't ride
like this, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of other
bicycle riders don't either, judging from the huge number of saddle pain
complaints seen here and elsewhere. I'd certainly bet that no "casual"
riders do, and I would be willing to bet that /most/ of the time, most
competition riders don't either. Most people seem to do the same thing
that I did--they sit their full weight on the saddle until it hurts, and
then they scoot around or stand for a short time until some of the pain
recedes, and then they sit back down on the saddle until it hurts too
much again. I know I have seen photos of ultra-riders standing and
pedaling over flat terrain, just to get a break from the saddle pain (as
well as pedaling with one hand and then the other on the bars, to get a
break from numb hands--but anyway-)....

I would love to see where this has been measured: like, with actual
strain gauges on bike seatposts, especially among casual/commuter riders
(of ANY country in the world, anywhere would do). ...Or perhaps, someone
could do an informal study, by taking photos of Brooks "springer"
saddles--and we could visually gauge the amount of spring deflection,
and estimate how much of the rider's weight is being rested on the saddle.
Anyone in Denmark up for this game?
Lots of bicycles there in photos I see, lots of springer saddles too.
How many people in Denmark are riding around, levitating on their bicycles?
,,,,,,
,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,
But that's not the MAIN question I have.
What I want to know is, when was the "levitation" form of riding first
prescribed as a "solution" to saddle pain? I have seen a number of
very-old photographs of bicyclists, and every last one of them seemed to
be resting their full weight upon their saddles. At SOME point, bicycle
marketing seems to have switched from trying to find better seating
accommodations, to just admitting that upright saddles hurt to ride, and
telling the customer it's their fault.
When did this happen?
~

Per DougC:
>I have often seen it asserted that on an upright bicycle, the saddle is
>not supposed to support the entire weight of the riders torso--and that
>the rider (if they are using proper form) is supposed to partially
>support the weight of their torso with their arms and legs.

When I think of that assertion, I think of "sport" vs "utility" riding.

IMHO the assertion applies to the former, but not the latter.

The tradeoff seems to be thigh clearance vs butt accommodation.
--
PeteCresswell

DougC <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have often seen it asserted that on an upright bicycle, the saddle is
>not supposed to support the entire weight of the riders torso--and that
>the rider (if they are using proper form) is supposed to partially
>support the weight of their torso with their arms and legs.
>
>Now, I think this is a sad excuse for what is simply a poor bicycle
>design. I know back when I had upright bikes I certainly didn't ride
>like this, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of other
>bicycle riders don't either, judging from the huge number of saddle pain
>complaints seen here and elsewhere.

If you don't think the arms are supporting a large part of the weight
of your torso on an upright bike, try this experiment...

1) Get into a typical riding position with your hands out on the brake
hoods and your arms slightly bent.
2) Take your hands off the brake hoods.
3) Notice that you can't hold that position for very long without
feeling the strain of keeping your torso in that position in your
abdominal muscles.

Just for grins, I did a quick Fogelesqe experiment. I wedged a
bathroom scale under my headlight mount, and on top of the left brake
hood. My 'cross bike is set up with the bars quite high (by my
standards, at least), and is a very typical riding position on a
drop-bar bike.

When assuming my normal riding posture, and putting similar weight on
both palms, I was seeing just under 30 pounds (13.5kg) of weight being
borne by my left arm. Double that to 60 pounds (for both hands), and
consider that I weigh just over 150, and I think it's easy to see that
you DO carry a lot of the weight of your torso via your arms.

As for legs supporting weight - that's also quite true, but much more
so for those who ride faster. Essentially, the harder you push on the
pedals, the more you unweight your saddle. Those who ride at much
more pedestrian paces don't notice the benefit from pushing on the
pedals as much (obviously).

It's been my experience that almost anyone who is "in pain" on an
upright bike has a bike that simply doesn't fit very well, or is
trying to surpass their physical ability by riding too far.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

In article <[email protected]>,
DougC <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have often seen it asserted that on an upright bicycle, the saddle
> is not supposed to support the entire weight of the riders torso--and
> that the rider (if they are using proper form) is supposed to
> partially support the weight of their torso with their arms and legs.
>
> Now, I think this is a sad excuse for what is simply a poor bicycle
> design. I know back when I had upright bikes I certainly didn't ride
> like this, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of other
> bicycle riders don't either, judging from the huge number of saddle
> pain complaints seen here and elsewhere. I'd certainly bet that no
> "casual" riders do, and I would be willing to bet that /most/ of the
> time, most competition riders don't either. Most people seem to do
> the same thing that I did--they sit their full weight on the saddle
> until it hurts, and then they scoot around or stand for a short time
> until some of the pain recedes, and then they sit back down on the
> saddle until it hurts too much again. I know I have seen photos of
> ultra-riders standing and pedaling over flat terrain, just to get a
> break from the saddle pain (as well as pedaling with one hand and
> then the other on the bars, to get a break from numb hands--but
> anyway-)....

Whereas recumbent riders just have to stop riding stand up and walk
around for a while to get some feeling back into their butts. I hear
proportionately as many comfort complaints from recumbentists as from
bicyclists. It's not any different than sitting in the same position
for an extended position- it becomes uncomfortable.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> If you don't think the arms are supporting a large part of the weight
> of your torso on an upright bike, try this experiment...

I can't do that experiment, as I have no more "normal" bicycles. The
closest I can come is a RANS Fusion (
http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion06.htm ), and when on the bike my spine
is nearly vertical,,, so there's almost no hand pressure at all.

> As for legs supporting weight - that's also quite true, but much more
> so for those who ride faster. Essentially, the harder you push on the
> pedals, the more you unweight your saddle. Those who ride at much
> more pedestrian paces don't notice the benefit from pushing on the
> pedals as much (obviously).

If you stood on the pedals the entire time you wouldn't get any saddle
pain either--but then what's the point of the seat? If it's not for
sitting on, why do all the seat companies bother with even putting
padding or spring suspension on them? It does not bear logical extension
that the LESS weight there is resting upon the saddle, the MORE picky
people would be about which saddle they use (-not to mention the padded
shorts--recumbent riders rest all their weight on the seat and they
don't need padded shorts,,, if you're resting less-than-all of your
torso's weight on your saddle, why would you need /more/ padding in the
shorts? ).

> It's been my experience that almost anyone who is "in pain" on an
> upright bike has a bike that simply doesn't fit very well, or is
> trying to surpass their physical ability by riding too far.

No, the only thing you advise here is that it's necessary to trade off
saddle pain for hand numbness--but those are the two most common
problems people have riding upright bikes. Customers at the low end will
not accept either of them--that's what's driving the US market for
"comfort" bikes.

Saddle pain and hand numbness may be a necessary part of the kinds of
bikes that /you/ ride, but it isn't a part of all of them.

---------------

On the other hand--I am starting to think that the mass bicycling use of
the Netherlands is not all it's cracked up to be. This page:
http://ruudvisser.wordpress.com/2006/12/
-notes from a government report that while the use of cycling is
enormous, the average daily distance covered is really rather small,
only about 10.5 miles. It's certainly a lot better than nothing, but
15.5 miles at casual paces over flat terrain really isn't all that much
exercise. My bet here is that a lot of these people rarely ride more
than twice the daily average distance, and so they aren't concerned
about absolute comfort.
~

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:20:38 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>DougC <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I have often seen it asserted that on an upright bicycle, the saddle is
>>not supposed to support the entire weight of the riders torso--and that
>>the rider (if they are using proper form) is supposed to partially
>>support the weight of their torso with their arms and legs.
>>
>>Now, I think this is a sad excuse for what is simply a poor bicycle
>>design. I know back when I had upright bikes I certainly didn't ride
>>like this, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of other
>>bicycle riders don't either, judging from the huge number of saddle pain
>>complaints seen here and elsewhere.

>If you don't think the arms are supporting a large part of the weight
>of your torso on an upright bike, try this experiment...
>
>1) Get into a typical riding position with your hands out on the brake
>hoods and your arms slightly bent.
>2) Take your hands off the brake hoods.
>3) Notice that you can't hold that position for very long without
>feeling the strain of keeping your torso in that position in your
>abdominal muscles.
>
>Just for grins, I did a quick Fogelesqe experiment. I wedged a
>bathroom scale under my headlight mount, and on top of the left brake
>hood. My 'cross bike is set up with the bars quite high (by my
>standards, at least), and is a very typical riding position on a
>drop-bar bike.
>
>When assuming my normal riding posture, and putting similar weight on
>both palms, I was seeing just under 30 pounds (13.5kg) of weight being
>borne by my left arm. Double that to 60 pounds (for both hands), and
>consider that I weigh just over 150, and I think it's easy to see that
>you DO carry a lot of the weight of your torso via your arms.
>
>As for legs supporting weight - that's also quite true, but much more
>so for those who ride faster. Essentially, the harder you push on the
>pedals, the more you unweight your saddle. Those who ride at much
>more pedestrian paces don't notice the benefit from pushing on the
>pedals as much (obviously).
>
>It's been my experience that almost anyone who is "in pain" on an
>upright bike has a bike that simply doesn't fit very well, or is
>trying to surpass their physical ability by riding too far.
>
>Mark Hickey
>Habanero Cycles
>http://www.habcycles.com
>Home of the $795 ti frame

Dear Mark,

Fogelesque?

Please, such tests are best left to professionals!

Where are your weights, your workbench, your rope, your 2x4, your
camera?

Where are your embarrassing mishaps?

First, I put an ancient but accurate bathroom scale on a counter top
and leaned on it.

Then I tried to insert some handlebars into the experiment, but the
drops hit the countertop, so I scooted the scale over to the corner of
the counter and got things to work that way.

Pleased with my success, I tried to improve things by moving the scale
to the corner of a handy metal railing around the steps leading down
to Fogel Labs.

Same result, except that I knocked the scale off the railing onto the
carpet, and the scale began to read 200 lbs with nothing on it.

A tap with a hammer fixed the scale, putting the housing back where
it's supposed to be.

Now for a better setup and a picture!

I couldn't think of any excuse for a rope, so I settled for a long 2x4
on my workbench, with one end of the 2x4 sticking out into thin air.

To hold the 2x4 down, I put 20 pounds of weights on the far end. (I
could have roped it down, but using the weights was quicker.)

Then I put the scale out on the end of the 2x4, laid the handlebars
across it, and leaned on them. Perfect!

Satisfied that my setup was as elegant as the Michelson-Morley
experiment (they settled for tons of mercury instead of reliable
2x4's), I rigged my camera with a timer delay (after wasting only ten
minutes looking for the manual) and took this picture:

http://i10.tinypic.com/35lay47.jpg

As you can see, a standard 195-lb Fogel leaning comfortably on the
drops produces only about 35 pounds of pressure on the handlebars.

Your much larger 60-lb estimated result for a mere 150-lb Hickey may
be due to different posture, scales, or setup.

You were on an actual bike, but had only one hand sorta-kinda in place
on top of a scale.

I was beautifully balanced on both drops, but with no bicycle in
sight.

Of course, outright fraud must always be considered--look at the title
of this thread!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Per Tim McNamara:
>Whereas recumbent riders just have to stop riding stand up and walk
>around for a while to get some feeling back into their butts. I hear
>proportionately as many comfort complaints from recumbentists as from
>bicyclists. It's not any different than sitting in the same position
>for an extended position- it becomes uncomfortable.

If that's the case, I'd think upright bikes have an edge in that the rider can
get out of the saddle and pedal standing when the mood strikes.

And RAN's Dynamik and Zenetic seem to offer something from both
extremes: http://www.ransbikes.com/ITRComfy.htm
--
PeteCresswell

DougC wrote:
> I have often seen it asserted that on an upright bicycle, the saddle is
> not supposed to support the entire weight of the riders torso--and that
> the rider (if they are using proper form) is supposed to partially
> support the weight of their torso with their arms and legs.
>
> Now, I think this is a sad excuse for what is simply a poor bicycle
> design.

No, it's a sad fact given the physics of this particular universe. If
you apply force downward on the pedals, you will naturally apply less
downward force on the seat.

And not all riders choose to support part of their weight on the
handlebars. "Sit up and beg" posture is normal for many cyclists. For
example, look at the girl in this photo: http://tinyurl.com/yqccja

Cyclists interested in more distance or more speed put more load on the
handlebars. It's no problem. It causes no pain. It's just a
technique that's naturally evolved because its advantages soon become
obvious.

> I know back when I had upright bikes I certainly didn't ride
> like this, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of other
> bicycle riders don't either, judging from the huge number of saddle pain
> complaints seen here and elsewhere. I'd certainly bet that no "casual"
> riders do, and I would be willing to bet that /most/ of the time, most
> competition riders don't either.

Hmm. OTOH, I'd be willing to bet that you've never understood simple
mechanical equilibrium - that the sum of the vertical forces must be
zero on an object in equilibrium.

> I know I have seen photos of ultra-riders standing and
> pedaling over flat terrain, just to get a break from the saddle pain (as
> well as pedaling with one hand and then the other on the bars, to get a
> break from numb hands--but anyway-)....

.... "but anyway," I've heard reports of recumbent riders having to get
off the bike every few hours to get feeling back into their butts!
That's not ultra-riding; that's just the time span I use for ordinary
leisurely riding!

> But that's not the MAIN question I have.
> What I want to know is, when was the "levitation" form of riding first
> prescribed as a "solution" to saddle pain? I have seen a number of
> very-old photographs of bicyclists, and every last one of them seemed to
> be resting their full weight upon their saddles.

False. If their feet were propelling the bike, they were not resting
their full weight on the saddle.

> At SOME point, bicycle
> marketing seems to have switched from trying to find better seating
> accommodations, to just admitting that upright saddles hurt to ride, and
> telling the customer it's their fault.
> When did this happen?

You're problem is that you're completely misunderstanding things like
force, gravity, comfort, economics, practicality, history...

People have been "posting" (that is, getting their weight off their
butts) long before bicycles were invented. You do it riding a horse,
for example. People began doing it on bicycles as soon as freewheeling
was invented, if not before. People do it on motorcycles. People
probably would do it on long car trips, except it's not very easy when
you're sitting in a somewhat reclined position.

And that last applies to recumbent bikes, too.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:

> No, it's a sad fact given the physics of this particular universe. If
> you apply force downward on the pedals, you will naturally apply less
> downward force on the seat.

So, tell me: if a casual 150-lb rider is tottering along at a casual
pace, say 12-15 MPH, over level ground, how much downward force (in
pounds) would they have to apply to the pedals? I'd bet not a whole lot;
less than 20 lbs perhaps? 15 lbs maybe?

> And not all riders choose to support part of their weight on the
> handlebars. "Sit up and beg" posture is normal for many cyclists. For
> example, look at the girl in this photo: http://tinyurl.com/yqccja

Charmingly enough--this photo also blows a big hole in the "levitating
bicyclist" silliness, at least among one casual rider. The rider is not
leaning forward at all, so she cannot be supporting her weight partly
with her arm(s).

It's a wonderful theory (like "pedaling in circles") but it's a
comically-idiotic non-solution to saddle pain. Certainly very few
/casual/ bicycle riders do it, and I'd be willing to bet that (if
scientific measurements could be taken of a broad group) most
competitive bicyclists don't really do it either.
~

> As you can see, a standard 195-lb Fogel leaning comfortably on the
> drops produces only about 35 pounds of pressure on the handlebars.

re.bicycles.tech new unit of measurement: the standard Fogel.

"I applied a force to the handlebars of .35 Fogels..."

In article <p%[email protected]>,
DougC <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's a wonderful theory (like "pedaling in circles") but it's a
> comically-idiotic non-solution to saddle pain.

You seem to believe that pedaling a lawn chair designed by Rube
Goldeberg qualifies as a non-comical, non-idiotic solution. For most
people, clunky recumbents are not only unnecessary but are less useful
in a practical sense.

OTOH I can ride 300 km on my standard bike with only mild discomfort as
the miles add up. My left knee is far more likely to cause me pain than
my saddle, and a recumbent would offer no solution for this.

In article <[email protected]>,
DougC <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now, I think this is a sad excuse for what is simply a poor bicycle
> design. I know back when I had upright bikes I certainly didn't ride
> like this, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of other
> bicycle riders don't either, judging from the huge number of saddle pain
> complaints seen here and elsewhere.

No huge quantity of complaints here.

--
Michael Press

Per DougC:
>It's a wonderful theory (like "pedaling in circles") but it's a
>comically-idiotic non-solution to saddle pain. Certainly very few
>/casual/ bicycle riders do it, and I'd be willing to bet that (if
>scientific measurements could be taken of a broad group) most
>competitive bicyclists don't really do it either.

I'll go back to the sport-vs-utility distinction.

I'm an old guy with a broad hips and I'll put the tenderness of my butt up
against anybody short of a terminal hemorrhoid sufferer.

I've got bikes set up both ways and practically a whole garage wall full of
saddles of various sizes shapes from a 9" wide Oasis to a 5" wide Azonic.

For what I call "sport" riding, I want the narrowest saddle that will
accommodate my ichial tuberosity spacing and I want the slightly-leaning-forward
posture.

Two reasons:
1) Once my sit bones are properly supported, additional width doesn't make for
any better butt comfort and it gets in the way of the thighs. I've tried
saddles up to 8" wide and keep coming back to my Brooks B-17 that is just
wide enough for my sit bones.

2) The slightly-forward posture lets me glide over bumps and other
irregularities
using my legs a shock absorbers. Much better and less damaging than letting
the spine take those hits.

For utility riding and boardwalk cruising, the upright posture is the best for
me and a wider saddle really does work better. I know it sounds like I'm
contradicting myself on the sit bone spacing thing - but I think my sit bone
contact point is wider when I'm sitting bolt upright than when I'm leaning
forward. I don't have any citation for that, but that's how it feels.

For utility/cruising I find upright better for the visibility. That's not the
only reason - but I can't verbalize the rest of it at the moment... I'd have to
take a ride and gather impressions.

I would say that if somebody's experiencing saddle pain, it's probably some sort
of fit/adjustment problem - but it's by no means restricted to the width of the
saddle.

Also, since I ride FS most of the time and have a sus post on my hardtail, I'm
probably a little out of the loop vis-a-vis somebody that's riding a hard tail
and a spring less saddle. I'd opine that riding an unsprung saddle on a
hardtail is probably a mistake for anybody that's not an experienced cyclist and
doing "sport" type riding.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> I'll go back to the sport-vs-utility distinction.
>
> I'm an old guy with a broad hips and I'll put the tenderness of my butt up
> against anybody short of a terminal hemorrhoid sufferer.
>
> I've got bikes set up both ways and practically a whole garage wall full of
> saddles of various sizes shapes from a 9" wide Oasis to a 5" wide Azonic.
>
> For what I call "sport" riding, I want the narrowest saddle that will
> accommodate my ichial tuberosity spacing and I want the slightly-leaning-forward
> posture.....

So you're claiming that you think that you'd be more comfortable leaning
forward and resting your weight on a couple square inches of "sit-bone"
flesh, than sitting on something like, say,,, a Barcroft Dakota?
http://images.google.com/images?hl=...G=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

......Wow. That is an amazing claim, sir. Somehow I just don't believe it.

[you know--like MOST recumbents--the Dakota only comes with one seat
available (think of all the garage space you could regain by throwing
out the saddle collection!) and I'm pretty sure the Barcroft guys will
tell you it's okay to sit all your weight in it- ;) ]

So,,,, how many recumbents have you tried? Or are you just that certain
that there wouldn't be all /that/ much comfort difference?

Per DougC:
>So,,,, how many recumbents have you tried? Or are you just that certain
>that there wouldn't be all /that/ much comfort difference?

I have never tried a recumbent and did not intend any of my remarks to apply to
a recumbent: only to uprights.
--
PeteCresswell