alternating chains!

On 30 Mar 2005 07:57:49 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>Having seen someone headbutt the tarmac after there chain slipped off the
>front chainring when powering uphill (it was a very worn chainring) I'm
>pretty cautious about replacing mine.

Ditto. Plus you get chain suck and nasty noises and all manner of
other foolishness.

If I cared that much about saving the price of a ring I'd use steel
rings anyway. I still think a visibly hooked ring should be replaced
with the chain.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On 30 Mar 2005 08:01:10 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>One point that's often overlooked is that the way to lube a chain with oil
>is to lube it, leave it for a while and then *wipe the chain with a clean
>dry rag* to remove most of the oil on the outside of the chain.

Absolutely. Especially if you use wax lube - that's best left
overnight for the volatiles to evaporate. Since I started being more
disciplined about that I've had to put much less lube on the chain.

Guy
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Arthur Clune wrote
>> Having seen someone headbutt the tarmac after there chain slipped
>> off the front chainring when powering uphill (it was a very worn
>> chainring) I'm pretty cautious about replacing mine.

> Ditto. Plus you get chain suck and nasty noises and all manner of
> other foolishness.

Maybe I'm lucky but I never get any of that. The one and only ring I
completely wore out just eventually caused a little skip that did no harm.
(Other rings were only changed because I switched to different sizes or
models).

~PB

Pete Biggs <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

: [re accidents, chain suck and noises]
: Maybe I'm lucky but I never get any of that. The one and only ring I
: completely wore out just eventually caused a little skip that did no harm.
: (Other rings were only changed because I switched to different sizes or
: models).

I've never had a problem with chainsuck on the road bike. It does become
a problem on the MTB when the rings get worn. Obviously that's a very testing
environment though. It's usually the combination of worn rings + mud on the
chain/rings that does it.

For the accident stuff, it only tends to happen when jumping hard out
of the saddle in a big gear, and I get the impression you don't ride
like that.

As ever, horses for courses.

Arthur

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> If I cared that much about saving the price of a ring I'd use steel
> rings anyway. I still think a visibly hooked ring should be replaced
> with the chain.

I've got a steel inner which is about twelve years old and still in
purrrrfect wurrrrking orrrderrr. Doesn't get a huge amount of use these
days but used to see a fair bit of MTB duty.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Arthur Clune wrote:
> For the accident stuff, it only tends to happen when jumping hard out
> of the saddle in a big gear, and I get the impression you don't ride
> like that.

I do* give it some big welly on occasion, briefly (for a few revs). I
think you'd need a lot of bad luck and a /severely/ knackered chainring
for the chain to suddenly come off like that (and front mech problems are
often to blame as well), but of course I understand the caution and desire
to replace rings to prevent that. It's just that I suspect that some
people are changing them far, far sooner than they need to, partly over a
misunderstanding re wear.

* except not right now as I'm still recovering from injury, but I do often
normally when I want to quickly take off or accelerate. True that I'm
more of a High-Cadence Seated Twiddler when it comes to hill climbing,
though.

~PB

Arthur Clune wrote:

> I've never had a problem with chainsuck on the road bike. It does
> become a problem on the MTB when the rings get worn. Obviously that's
> a very testing environment though. It's usually the combination of
> worn rings + mud on the chain/rings that does it.
>
> For the accident stuff, it only tends to happen when jumping hard out
> of the saddle in a big gear, and I get the impression you don't ride
> like that.

I was occasionally getting chain suck on the Galaxy when changing from
big to middle when the rings got very worn. The skipping on the large
ring was getting dangerous by the time I replaced the chainset. With a
brand new Stronglight chainset, a new SRAM chain and a new Shimano
cassette I still get chainsuck when changing from big to middle unless
I'm careful to soft pedal. It's quite an unpleasant experience,
stopping the cranks dead. It's abrupt enough to have bent three of the
teeth on the big ring out of line towards the middle one.

--
Dave...

Might have to get one of those!, a handy money saving tool!, it shivers me
that i've bought cassettes, chainrings & chains that i needn't have!, by the
way, whats chainsuck!!!?
Paulmouk <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi
> > I used to fit a chain, rear cassette, & chain rings & find out that when

> the
> > chain wears out, i have to replace not just the chain, but the whole

lot!
> > costly **** man!
> > Is it just me that does this, but by running a couple of chains,
> > alternating them, extends the wear from the gearing !
> > Does anyone else do this, is it common knowledge! & how often do you all

> run
> > each chains between alternating!
> > Cheers

> I used to do that but now I don't bother. I bought a Rohloff Caliber?

chain