Alternative approach to traffic calming based on psychology, "naked roads"

Pyromancer

Guest
No, not streets in which clothing is banned (even if that did eliminate
bibshorts <fx: ducks!>), but rather the removal of all signs, kerbs,
lights, etc, to create an area in which pedestrians have the same right
of way as cars do. Full article here:

I like the idea and will be interested to see the results of the study.
I gather the RAC isn't convinced though, and thought the comments of
their spokesman at the bottom interesting:

He says: "It would probably reduce speed on that particular road but it
would, in all likelihood, build pressure on other roads.

"People would slow down on that particular stretch, only to then speed
up on other roads to make up for lost time. Consequently, that road
might be safer, but overall safety in the area wouldn't necessarily
improve."

Mr King believes the approach also focuses on motorists and pedestrians
at the expense of other road users.

In the absence of clear markings, and with slower cars, cyclists would
speed up on roads, causing conflicts between pedestrians and people on
bikes.

The lack of clear markings would also blur the distinction between
pavements and roads, making such streets popular with skateboarders and
rollerbladers, argues Mr King - raising the potential of minor
skirmishes between non-motorist road users.

--[unquote]--

So he appears to be admitting that in such a road lots of different
road-users would feel they had a right to use the space, instead of
motor traffic having dominion over the carriageway while everyone else
is squeezed into the pavements and/or some red bits down the side.

Thoughts?

--
- Pyromancer.
- http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

> In the absence of clear markings, and with slower cars, cyclists would
> speed up on roads, causing conflicts between pedestrians and people on
> bikes.

eh?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:57:45 +0000, Pyromancer wrote:

> Thoughts?

Err, yes, we did this one to death about a month ago - google groups are your
friends!

--
Trevor Barton