    about 9 months. I had an MRI of lumbar spine which came back
    normal except for T12/L1 which showed "a mild left
    paracentral disc protrusion". Could this be causing my
    sciatica? I've also had numbness in my buttocks and groin.

    Daniel

    Tags:

  2. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On 2004-03-24 19:07:35 -0500, "Daniel Miles" <[email protected]> said:

    > I'm 27, male, and have had terrible sciatica off and on
    > for about 9 months. I had an MRI of lumbar spine which
    > came back normal except for T12/L1 which showed "a mild
    > left paracentral disc protrusion". Could this be
    > causing my sciatica? I've also had numbness in my
    > buttocks and groin.

    If your symptoms are on the left, maybe. If they're on the
    right, no.

  3. Kyrodoc

    Kyrodoc Guest

    >From: anon [email protected]

    >I had an MRI of lumbar spine which came back normal except
    >for T12/L1 which
    showed "a mild left paracentral disc protrusion". Could this
    be causing my sciatica? I've also had numbness in my
    buttocks and groin.

    When you say "sciatica" are you saying you have posterior
    thigh pain? If so piriformis syndrome is a consideration.

    ....and groin pain is more akin to an L2 or L3 subluxation.

    I'd see a chiropractor but you may want to ask Dave or Carey
    since they seem to know everything.

    DC

  4. Daniel Miles

    Daniel Miles Guest

    "KyroDoc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: anon [email protected]
    >
    > >I had an MRI of lumbar spine which came back normal
    > >except for T12/L1
    which
    > showed "a mild left paracentral disc protrusion". Could
    > this be causing
    my
    > sciatica? I've also had numbness in my buttocks and groin.
    >
    > When you say "sciatica" are you saying you have posterior
    > thigh pain? If
    so
    > piriformis syndrome is a consideration.
    >
    > ....and groin pain is more akin to an L2 or L3
    > subluxation.
    >
    > I'd see a chiropractor but you may want to ask Dave or
    > Carey since they
    seem
    > to know everything.
    >
    > DC

    Thanks for the reply. The pain is most severe behind the
    left knee and in the calf but radiates up the thigh and
    buttocks, sometimes both legs hurt or it switches to the
    right leg. The last attack caused numbness from the left
    flank down the buttocks and in the pelvic region with an
    almost complete

    weak with muscle twitching. Have first appointment with
    neurologist in two weeks.

  5. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    KyroDoc <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>From: anon [email protected]
    >
    >>I had an MRI of lumbar spine which came back normal except
    >>for T12/L1 which
    >showed "a mild left paracentral disc protrusion". Could
    >this be causing my sciatica? I've also had numbness in my
    >buttocks and groin.
    >
    >When you say "sciatica" are you saying you have posterior
    >thigh pain? If so piriformis syndrome is a consideration.
    >
    >....and groin pain is more akin to an L2 or L3 subluxation.
    >
    >I'd see a chiropractor but you may want to ask Dave or
    >Carey since they seem to know everything.

    It's so cute when you get all petulant. As it happens, I
    don't know much about back pain. The fact that I frequently
    shoot down your postings is merely a reflection of the
    quality of your postings, not my vast expertise.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my
    opinions only, but they're almost always correct. "If I
    have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were
    standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  6. [email protected] (KyroDoc) wrote:

    >>From: anon [email protected]
    >
    >>I had an MRI of lumbar spine which came back normal except
    >>for T12/L1 which
    >showed "a mild left paracentral disc protrusion". Could
    >this be causing my sciatica? I've also had numbness in my
    >buttocks and groin.
    >
    >When you say "sciatica" are you saying you have posterior
    >thigh pain? If so piriformis syndrome is a consideration.
    >
    >....and groin pain is more akin to an L2 or L3 subluxation.
    >
    >I'd see a chiropractor but you may want to ask Dave or
    >Carey since they seem to know everything.
    >
    >DC

    Clinically significant disc problems at T12-L1 are very
    rare. They do not produce symptoms of the type that you have
    described.

    A good neurological examination is the best way to localize
    the cause of "sciatica".

    Best,

    Bob

    Robert A. Fink, M.D., FACS, P. C. 2500 Milvia Street Suite
    222 Berkeley, California 94704-2636 USA

    Telephone: 510-849-2555 FAX: 510-849-2557
    <http://www.rafink.com>

    "Ex Tristitia Virtus"

    NOTE: The above message is not to be considered as "medical
    advice". Medical advice can be given only after a "hands-
    on" examination of the patient by a physician.

  7. [email protected] (KyroDoc) wrote:

    >I'd see a chiropractor but you may want to ask Dave or
    >Carey since they seem to know everything.

    No, Dave only knows *almost* everything.

    As for me, I would refer him to Robert Fink's answer.