Alternative/Complementary Therapies: New Developments

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jan, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Bronsing

    Bronsing Guest

    Op 22 Dec 2003 02:29:11 GMT schreef [email protected] (Jan):

    >http://www.coloradohealthsite.org/holistic/kroll_wins.htm#epid

    So, what this article shows is that a) nobody really knows what portion of the population (U.S.)
    actually uses herbs (extremely large variation in results suggesting poor set-up of data
    acquisition) and that there are definite problems in quality control (just look at the wide
    variation in ginsengoside between Ginseng products). Also, the article suggests that there are many
    side effects associated with use of herbals, that many patients donot tell their doctor or
    pharmacist that they use such remedies and it can be difficult for individual patients to get access
    to good quality information conerning the herbals they want to use. Good article.

    --
    Robert Bronsing

  2. Jan

    Jan Guest

    >Subject: Re: Alternative/Complementary Therapies: New Developments
    >From: Bronsing [email protected]
    >Date: 12/24/2003 3:47 AM Central Standard Time
    >
    >Op 22 Dec 2003 02:29:11 GMT schreef [email protected] (Jan):
    >
    >>http://www.coloradohealthsite.org/holistic/kroll_wins.htm#epid
    >
    >So, what this article shows is that a) nobody really knows what portion of the population (U.S.)
    >actually uses herbs (extremely large variation in results suggesting poor set-up of data
    >acquisition) and that there are definite problems in quality control (just look at the wide
    >variation in ginsengoside between Ginseng products). Also, the article suggests that there are many
    >side effects associated with use of herbals, that many patients donot tell their doctor or
    >pharmacist that they use such remedies and it can be difficult for individual patients to get
    >access to good quality information conerning the herbals they want to use. Good article.
    >
    >--
    >Robert Bronsing

    I thought it was and YES YES YES each patient should tell their MD what herbs teyt are taking., in
    addition MD's should be responsive to this and not give the ole eye roll, which is the reason people
    don't tell.

    Jan

  3. Drceephd

    Drceephd Guest

    >Subject: Re: Alternative/Complementary Therapies: New Developments
    >From: [email protected] (Jan)
    >Date: 12/24/03 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

    >I thought it was and YES YES YES each patient should tell their MD what herbs teyt are taking., in
    >addition MD's should be responsive to this and not give the ole eye roll, which is the reason
    >people don't tell.
    >
    >Jan

    I would add also that the MDs have absolutely no training nor education concerning herbals except to
    laugh at the use of them.

    It would be like casting pearls before swine, right?

    DrC PhD.