alternative medicine and anorexia

Identity

Guest
Hi, I'm having great difficulty finding information about this subject. What could anyone here tell
me about the physiological / neurological factors that cause anorexia nervosa? I understand there
are disrupted mineral levels in the body, along with enzyme and neurotransmitter reuptake
dysfunctions. Mainstream medicine seems mostly content to sit on the tired "it's solely genetic and
psychological" explanation, which seems to me to only be a part of the equation. Any help much
appreciated.

Identity <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, I'm having great difficulty finding information about this subject. What could anyone here
> tell me about the physiological / neurological factors that cause anorexia nervosa? I understand
> there are disrupted mineral levels in the body, along with enzyme and neurotransmitter reuptake
> dysfunctions. Mainstream medicine seems mostly content to sit on the tired "it's solely genetic
> and psychological" explanation, which seems to me to only be a part of the equation. Any help much
> appreciated.

I haven't come across any conclusive info pinpointing a *cause* of anorexia nervosa. The "genetic &
psychological" theories you speak of are based on research that finds cultures where the disorder
is essentially unheard of, & the frequency it is found among white females in the middle/upper
economic classes.

Since the disorder is only identified *after* the weight loss & wasting happens it would probably be
pretty difficult to find abnormal findings *before* it becomes a problem.