Alternative proofs? read this!

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Gymmy Bob, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Gymmy Bob

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    1: BMJ. 2003 Dec 20;327(7429):1459-61. Related Articles, Links

    Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
    review of randomised controlled trials.

    Smith GC, Pell JP.

    Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. <Email withheld>

    OBJECTIVES: To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to
    gravitational challenge. DESIGN: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. DATA SOURCES:
    Medline, Web of Science, Embase, and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and
    citation lists. STUDY SELECTION: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall.
    MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Death or major trauma, defined as an injury severity score > 15. RESULTS: We
    were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of parachute intervention. CONCLUSIONS: As
    with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been
    subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based
    medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data.
    We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine
    organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the
    parachute.

    Publication Types: Review Review, Academic

    PMID: 14684649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    Tags:

  2. Bl 1204

    Bl 1204 Guest

    >Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational
    >challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials.

    BRILLIANT!! Hilarious too!! Thank you for pointing this very cerebral study out to us.

    I noted this in the abstract.

    Funding: None.

    Competing interests: None declared.

    Ethical approval: Not required.

    I think I will pass on the double blind trial. Any takers? BL

    "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of the rock within the wave
    that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

    "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

  3. Bew

    Bew Guest

    COOL POST ,

    True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .

    "Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > 1: BMJ. 2003 Dec 20;327(7429):1459-61. Related Articles, Links
    >

    > Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
    > review of randomised controlled trials.
    >
    > Smith GC, Pell JP.
    >
    > Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. <Email
    > withheld>
    >
    > OBJECTIVES: To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to
    > gravitational challenge. DESIGN: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. DATA SOURCES:
    > Medline, Web of Science,
    Embase,
    > and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and
    citation
    > lists. STUDY SELECTION: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall. MAIN
    > OUTCOME MEASURE: Death or major trauma, defined as an
    injury
    > severity score > 15. RESULTS: We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of
    > parachute intervention. CONCLUSIONS: As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health,
    > the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised
    controlled
    > trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption
    of
    > interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if
    > the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double
    > blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.
    >
    > Publication Types: Review Review, Academic
    >
    > PMID: 14684649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    ---

    Release Date: 18/02/2004

  4. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Alternative proofs? read this!
    >From: "Bew" [email protected]
    >Date: 2/29/2004 9:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >COOL POST ,

    >True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .

    OMG...perhaps you need a brain colonic!! hawki.....

  5. Anth

    Anth Guest

    Hahah excellente! Anth

    "Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > 1: BMJ. 2003 Dec 20;327(7429):1459-61. Related Articles, Links
    >

    > Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
    > review of randomised controlled trials.
    >
    > Smith GC, Pell JP.
    >
    > Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. <Email
    > withheld>
    >
    > OBJECTIVES: To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to
    > gravitational challenge. DESIGN: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. DATA SOURCES:
    > Medline, Web of Science,
    Embase,
    > and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and
    citation
    > lists. STUDY SELECTION: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall. MAIN
    > OUTCOME MEASURE: Death or major trauma, defined as an
    injury
    > severity score > 15. RESULTS: We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of
    > parachute intervention. CONCLUSIONS: As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health,
    > the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised
    controlled
    > trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption
    of
    > interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if
    > the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double
    > blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.
    >
    > Publication Types: Review Review, Academic
    >
    > PMID: 14684649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

  6. "BL 1204" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
    > >review of randomised controlled trials.
    >
    > BRILLIANT!! Hilarious too!! Thank you for pointing this very cerebral
    study
    > out to us.
    >
    > I noted this in the abstract.
    >
    > Funding: None.
    >
    > Competing interests: None declared.
    >
    > Ethical approval: Not required.
    >
    > I think I will pass on the double blind trial. Any takers?

    Jan and Gymmy should volunteer. I could gladly spend a few hours training them and then let the
    guess which one has the placebo parachute.

    We could all invite them to drop in.

    > BL
    >
    > "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram
    of
    > the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then there's a reflected
    > wave back." Ralph Abraham
    >
    > "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

  7. "Hawki63" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: Alternative proofs? read this! From: "Bew" [email protected] Date: 2/29/2004 9:52
    > >PM Pacific Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >
    > >COOL POST ,
    >
    > >True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .
    > >

    > OMG...perhaps you need a brain colonic!! hawki.....

    I told you that Alties were brain cleansed.

  8. Bew

    Bew Guest

    COOL POST ,

    True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .

    Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe HRT , or maybe how come so
    many thousands of people die each year in the screwed up health system .

    NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .

    "Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > 1: BMJ. 2003 Dec 20;327(7429):1459-61. Related Articles, Links
    >

    > Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
    > review of randomised controlled trials.
    >
    > Smith GC, Pell JP.
    >
    > Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. <Email
    > withheld>
    >
    > OBJECTIVES: To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to
    > gravitational challenge. DESIGN: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. DATA SOURCES:
    > Medline, Web of Science,
    Embase,
    > and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and
    citation
    > lists. STUDY SELECTION: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall. MAIN
    > OUTCOME MEASURE: Death or major trauma, defined as an
    injury
    > severity score > 15. RESULTS: We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of
    > parachute intervention. CONCLUSIONS: As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health,
    > the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised
    controlled
    > trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption
    of
    > interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if
    > the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double
    > blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.
    >
    > Publication Types: Review Review, Academic
    >
    > PMID: 14684649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    ---

    Release Date: 18/02/2004

  9. "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > COOL POST ,
    >
    > True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .
    >
    > Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe HRT
    ,
    > or maybe how come so many thousands of people die each year in the screwed up health system .
    >
    > NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .

    Yes, you have demonstrated that you cannot be bothered with intelligent disucssion and backing up
    your blather with real proof.

    Perhaps you would like to try an alternative parachute?

  10. Bew

    Bew Guest

    "Mark Probert-March 1, 2004" <Mark [email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > COOL POST ,
    > >
    > > True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .
    > >
    > > Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe
    HRT
    > ,
    > > or maybe how come so many thousands of people die each year in the
    screwed
    > > up health system .
    > >
    > > NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .
    >
    > Yes, you have demonstrated that you cannot be bothered with intelligent disucssion and backing up
    > your blather with real proof.

    You bore me child .

    > Perhaps you would like to try an alternative parachute?

    ---

    Release Date: 19/02/2004

  11. "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Mark Probert-March 1, 2004" <Mark [email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > COOL POST ,
    > > >
    > > > True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder
    .

    > > > Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe
    > HRT
    > > ,
    > > > or maybe how come so many thousands of people die each year in the
    > screwed
    > > > up health system .
    > > >
    > > > NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .
    > >
    > > Yes, you have demonstrated that you cannot be bothered with intelligent disucssion and backing
    > > up your blather with real proof.
    >
    > You bore me child .

    Sorry, but I suspect that I am a bit older than you.

    > > Perhaps you would like to try an alternative parachute?

    Why not try that? Just drop in sometime.

  12. Orac

    Orac Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Bew" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Mark Probert-March 1, 2004" <Mark [email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > COOL POST ,
    > > >
    > > > True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .
    > > >
    > > > Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe
    > HRT
    > > ,
    > > > or maybe how come so many thousands of people die each year in the
    > screwed
    > > > up health system .
    > > >
    > > > NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .
    > >
    > > Yes, you have demonstrated that you cannot be bothered with intelligent disucssion and backing
    > > up your blather with real proof.
    >
    > You bore me child .

    That's nice, but it's still obvious that you can't produce any convincing evidence to support your
    assertions regarding alt-med.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"