Alternative to AOL, Pls?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Qui Si Parla Ca, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?

    Looking at Earthlink-

    TIA-

  2. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup
    access?

    > Looking at Earthlink-

    If you're willing to pay a bit extra, you could keep AOL for internet access but sign-up with a
    dedicated newsgroup service. I used giganews for awhile and it worked very, very well. I think
    they're at giganews.com.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    What about "anybody?"

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    > Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup
    access?

    > Looking at Earthlink-
    >
    > TIA-

  4. Peter, I'm in Denver and use idcomm.com for my ISP - they may be available in Boulder. Qwest
    provides the line and idcomm is on their list of "approved" ISPs. I'm pretty happy with them - under
    no circumstances should you use MSN; they have terrible newsgroup service (and everything else).
    Idcomm has a good news-server and you can use any number of free programs for your newsreader. I use
    Gravity as my newsreader and it works fine although it is lacking in a few bells and whistles.
    Perhaps some other readers out there could suggest their favorite newsreader.

    Regards Chris

  5. Peter Chisholm wrote:

    > Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?
    >
    > Looking at Earthlink-

    Highly recommended. I use Earthlink when I'm on the road, they have excellent coverage.

    Whatever you do, do NOT publish your new "[email protected]" address.

    Instead, use your vecchios.com domain for your email address. (All ISPs other than AOL permit this!)

    That way, you'll _never_ have to change your email address again, as long as you own vecchios.com.

    If memory serves, you use a Mac (Yay!) I'll be glad to help you set up Eudora mail to access your
    mail through your domain.

    I like Netscape's Newsgroup reader.

    Sheldon "Former AOL Victim" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
    | If you don't want your message to get to me, |
    | insert **NO-SPAM** into my email address. |
    +------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    > Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy
    newsgroup access?

    > Looking at Earthlink-

    Earthlink's about as good as you'll find for a large ISP. I can't vouch for their dialups or
    broadband deals in your area, but I can vouch for their news service -- it's definately better than
    average. If you're using AOL software to read news right now, you'll be in heaven when you switch.
    AOL's newsreader sucks!

    Matt O.

  7. Doug Goodwin

    Doug Goodwin Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?
    >
    > Looking at Earthlink-
    >
    > TIA-

    You might want to go to thelist.com and see what's availible in your area. You punch in your area
    code and it will give you a listing of all the isp services availible in that area code. You'll be
    surprised at the size of the listing. Most isp's will have network connectivity that will allow
    access from other than your home location. Of course, the wise-ass answer to question about
    replacing AOHell is "any other"!

    --
    Doug Goodwin YMMV

    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - Pogo __o _`\<,_ (*)/ (*)

  8. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    In Denver I have the AT&T (soon to be Comcast) cable modem setup, the connection and the ISP are
    very good and their news server seems to get every message (which can't be said of them all).
    Carries all the newsgroups that I read, I can check on specific groups if you like. Admittedly I'm a
    little nervous about the switch to Comcast, waiting to see how smooth it goes but so far very
    satisfied.

    -Bruce-

    > Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup
    access?

    > Looking at Earthlink-
    >
    > TIA-

  9. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    P.S.

    If there's one thing I like even less than AOL, it's Qwest. I had their DSL before and had problems,
    and their customer service is absolutely horrible for every service which they provide. The state
    Attorney General's office did the right thing to fine them for their deceptive sales practices, of
    which there are many victims.

    -Bruce-

  10. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If memory serves, you use a Mac (Yay!) I'll be glad to help you set up Eudora mail to access your
    > mail through your domain.

    I'm an old Eudora holdout too...cuz Apple's Mail.app can't seem to send attachments consistantly.

    > I like Netscape's Newsgroup reader.

    I prefer MT-newsreader for OS X for newsreading and Thoth for binaries.

    For an ISP I'm using Bellsouth who uses webusenet for newsfeed...no complaints. When shopping
    consider the download limits some ISP's put on usenet...mine has none which is nice for an
    "occasional" mp3 download.

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________

  11. On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:21:12 -0500, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?

    Do you have cable? A cable modem is a big step up in speed and reliability. It costs more, too. Most
    cable providers have decent newsgroup servers available. Mine doesn't, but I can use (via a trick)
    my university's server.

    There should be free newsservers around, too.

    How's the snow, Peter?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
    -- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

  12. On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:55:51 -0500, Bruce Lange wrote:

    > In Denver I have the AT&T (soon to be Comcast) cable modem setup, the connection and the ISP are
    > very good and their news server seems to get every message (which can't be said of them all).
    > Carries all the newsgroups that I read, I can check on specific groups if you like. Admittedly I'm
    > a little nervous about the switch to Comcast, waiting to see how smooth it goes but so far very
    > satisfied.

    I was nervous about that, too. Comcast seems to really like my money, and the tv cable service is
    not too great. But they were very good with their internet service. Even a switch from a
    contracted-out dervice to their own went flawlessly, much to my surprize.

    I am a linux user, and they were able to get me what I needed once I was transferred to a guy with a
    clue. They also have no trouble with our home LAN.

    BTW about newsreaders: I used to use Netscape, but am happier now with Pan. It has better
    bozo filters.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

  13. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On 23 Mar 2003 15:21:12 GMT, [email protected] (La ruota stridula ottiene il grasso) wrote:

    >Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?

    Peter -

    I am truly excited for what the future will bring if your posting to date has somehow been curtailed
    by your current connection.

    -------------------------------
    http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
    twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
    -------------------------------
    "There is no need to sally forth, for it remains true that those things which make us human are,
    curiously enough, always close at hand. Resolve, then, that on this very ground, with small flags
    waving and tiny blasts of tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he
    may be us."
    - Walt Kelly

  14. Earthlink (dial up) works well for me.

    I've never had it break down, jam up, or be any kind of problem.

    Their help line IS helpful, too.

    Lewis.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

    news:<[email protected]>...

  15. Sparks wrote:

    > I'm an old Eudora holdout too...cuz Apple's Mail.app can't seem to send attachments consistantly.

    The deal-breaker for me is that it doesn't do "stationery." I have a great many standard replies
    stored as Eudora stationery, lets me reply to Frequently Asked Questions in considerable detail with
    just a couple of clicks.

    >>I like Netscape's Newsgroup reader.
    >
    > I prefer MT-newsreader for OS X for newsreading and Thoth for binaries.

    I've downloaded it on your suggestion, I'll give it a try.

    Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons | exclusively. Please do not discard
    | them after use, | send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable | sub-atomic resources
    | for future generations. |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  16. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    > Chris Crawford [email protected] wrote: > under no circumstances should you use MSN; they have
    > terrible newsgroup service (and everything else).

    I'll second that opinion...

  17. JDacey-<< I am truly excited for what the future will bring if your posting to date has somehow been
    curtailed by your current connection.

    Thanks for the such kind words...sounds like you are looking forward to my future posts...now how do
    aI screen NG posts from specific people???

  18. Owen Pope

    Owen Pope Guest

  19. On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:28:31 -0500, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > JDacey-<< I am truly excited for what the future will bring if your posting to date has somehow
    > been curtailed by your current connection.
    >
    > Thanks for the such kind words...sounds like you are looking forward to my future posts...now how
    > do aI screen NG posts from specific people???

    This depends on the newsreader. The one I use, Pan, makes it very easy -- and of course the trolls
    fight back with fake names, but.... Netscape doesn't seem to allow it at all. Check around. There
    are lots of newsreaders out there, depending on your OS.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
    typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
    collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

  20. The Gravity newsreader has a "bozo bin" which will filter out all future messages from a given
    poster with one click.

    Regards Chris