Alternative to AOL, Pls?

Qui Si Parla Ca

Guest
Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?

Looking at Earthlink-

TIA-

> Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup
access?

> Looking at Earthlink-

If you're willing to pay a bit extra, you could keep AOL for internet access but sign-up with a
dedicated newsgroup service. I used giganews for awhile and it worked very, very well. I think
they're at giganews.com.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

What about "anybody?"

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

> Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup
access?

> Looking at Earthlink-
>
> TIA-

Peter, I'm in Denver and use idcomm.com for my ISP - they may be available in Boulder. Qwest
provides the line and idcomm is on their list of "approved" ISPs. I'm pretty happy with them - under
no circumstances should you use MSN; they have terrible newsgroup service (and everything else).
Idcomm has a good news-server and you can use any number of free programs for your newsreader. I use
Gravity as my newsreader and it works fine although it is lacking in a few bells and whistles.
Perhaps some other readers out there could suggest their favorite newsreader.

Regards Chris

Peter Chisholm wrote:

> Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?
>
> Looking at Earthlink-

Highly recommended. I use Earthlink when I'm on the road, they have excellent coverage.

Whatever you do, do NOT publish your new "[email protected]" address.

Instead, use your vecchios.com domain for your email address. (All ISPs other than AOL permit this!)

That way, you'll _never_ have to change your email address again, as long as you own vecchios.com.

If memory serves, you use a Mac (Yay!) I'll be glad to help you set up Eudora mail to access your
mail through your domain.

I like Netscape's Newsgroup reader.

Sheldon "Former AOL Victim" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
| If you don't want your message to get to me, |
| insert **NO-SPAM** into my email address. |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

> Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy
newsgroup access?

> Looking at Earthlink-

Earthlink's about as good as you'll find for a large ISP. I can't vouch for their dialups or
broadband deals in your area, but I can vouch for their news service -- it's definately better than
average. If you're using AOL software to read news right now, you'll be in heaven when you switch.
AOL's newsreader sucks!

Matt O.

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?
>
> Looking at Earthlink-
>
> TIA-

You might want to go to thelist.com and see what's availible in your area. You punch in your area
code and it will give you a listing of all the isp services availible in that area code. You'll be
surprised at the size of the listing. Most isp's will have network connectivity that will allow
access from other than your home location. Of course, the wise-ass answer to question about
replacing AOHell is "any other"!

--
Doug Goodwin YMMV

"We have met the enemy, and they is us." - Pogo __o _`\<,_ (*)/ (*)

In Denver I have the AT&T (soon to be Comcast) cable modem setup, the connection and the ISP are
very good and their news server seems to get every message (which can't be said of them all).
Carries all the newsgroups that I read, I can check on specific groups if you like. Admittedly I'm a
little nervous about the switch to Comcast, waiting to see how smooth it goes but so far very
satisfied.

-Bruce-

> Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup
access?

> Looking at Earthlink-
>
> TIA-

P.S.

If there's one thing I like even less than AOL, it's Qwest. I had their DSL before and had problems,
and their customer service is absolutely horrible for every service which they provide. The state
Attorney General's office did the right thing to fine them for their deceptive sales practices, of
which there are many victims.

-Bruce-

In article <[email protected]>,
Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> If memory serves, you use a Mac (Yay!) I'll be glad to help you set up Eudora mail to access your
> mail through your domain.

I'm an old Eudora holdout too...cuz Apple's Mail.app can't seem to send attachments consistantly.

> I like Netscape's Newsgroup reader.

I prefer MT-newsreader for OS X for newsreading and Thoth for binaries.

For an ISP I'm using Bellsouth who uses webusenet for newsfeed...no complaints. When shopping
consider the download limits some ISP's put on usenet...mine has none which is nice for an
"occasional" mp3 download.

________________________________

Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
________________________________

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:21:12 -0500, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?

Do you have cable? A cable modem is a big step up in speed and reliability. It costs more, too. Most
cable providers have decent newsgroup servers available. Mine doesn't, but I can use (via a trick)
my university's server.

There should be free newsservers around, too.

How's the snow, Peter?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
-- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:55:51 -0500, Bruce Lange wrote:

> In Denver I have the AT&T (soon to be Comcast) cable modem setup, the connection and the ISP are
> very good and their news server seems to get every message (which can't be said of them all).
> Carries all the newsgroups that I read, I can check on specific groups if you like. Admittedly I'm
> a little nervous about the switch to Comcast, waiting to see how smooth it goes but so far very
> satisfied.

I was nervous about that, too. Comcast seems to really like my money, and the tv cable service is
not too great. But they were very good with their internet service. Even a switch from a
contracted-out dervice to their own went flawlessly, much to my surprize.

I am a linux user, and they were able to get me what I needed once I was transferred to a guy with a
clue. They also have no trouble with our home LAN.

BTW about newsreaders: I used to use Netscape, but am happier now with Pan. It has better
bozo filters.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

On 23 Mar 2003 15:21:12 GMT, [email protected] (La ruota stridula ottiene il grasso) wrote:

>Had it with AOL, can anybody name an alternative with easy newsgroup access?

Peter -

I am truly excited for what the future will bring if your posting to date has somehow been curtailed
by your current connection.

-------------------------------
http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
-------------------------------
"There is no need to sally forth, for it remains true that those things which make us human are,
curiously enough, always close at hand. Resolve, then, that on this very ground, with small flags
waving and tiny blasts of tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he
may be us."
- Walt Kelly

Earthlink (dial up) works well for me.

I've never had it break down, jam up, or be any kind of problem.

Their help line IS helpful, too.

Lewis.

http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

news:<[email protected]>...

Sparks wrote:

> I'm an old Eudora holdout too...cuz Apple's Mail.app can't seem to send attachments consistantly.

The deal-breaker for me is that it doesn't do "stationery." I have a great many standard replies
stored as Eudora stationery, lets me reply to Frequently Asked Questions in considerable detail with
just a couple of clicks.

>>I like Netscape's Newsgroup reader.
>
> I prefer MT-newsreader for OS X for newsreading and Thoth for binaries.

I've downloaded it on your suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons | exclusively. Please do not discard
| them after use, | send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable | sub-atomic resources
| for future generations. |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

> Chris Crawford [email protected] wrote: > under no circumstances should you use MSN; they have
> terrible newsgroup service (and everything else).

I'll second that opinion...

JDacey-<< I am truly excited for what the future will bring if your posting to date has somehow been
curtailed by your current connection.

Thanks for the such kind words...sounds like you are looking forward to my future posts...now how do
aI screen NG posts from specific people???

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:28:31 -0500, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> JDacey-<< I am truly excited for what the future will bring if your posting to date has somehow
> been curtailed by your current connection.
>
> Thanks for the such kind words...sounds like you are looking forward to my future posts...now how
> do aI screen NG posts from specific people???

This depends on the newsreader. The one I use, Pan, makes it very easy -- and of course the trolls
fight back with fake names, but.... Netscape doesn't seem to allow it at all. Check around. There
are lots of newsreaders out there, depending on your OS.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

The Gravity newsreader has a "bozo bin" which will filter out all future messages from a given
poster with one click.

Regards Chris