Alternatives to AC-H for Campagnolo Centaur? ( I know this has been beat into the ground)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jochen, May 13, 2004.

  1. Jochen

    Jochen Guest

    Thanks for reading.

    I am building up with Centaur triple. (Crazy Hills round
    here) Are there any alternatives to AC-H (other than SC-S,
    which is not the direction I want to go with weight) I know
    the newer Chorus and Record BBs are asymmetrical and do not
    work. Athena BBs will work, I think... they were
    symmetrical? I see them in 111mm... What about Phil Wood-
    is there one that will function correctly? Any other
    options? It mildly irks me that the AC-H is such an "boat
    anchor" For those, what is the condition that necessitates
    a 115mm spindle?

    Thank You,

    Jochen Schübler

    Tags:

  2. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Don't worry about it mate. The Centaur AC-H is only 68 grams heavier than Chorus. There's no way you can tell the difference especially since it's non rotational weight. Concentrate taking weight off your wheels and your belly.

  3. jochen-<< I am building up with Centaur triple. (Crazy Hills
    round here) Are there any alternatives to AC-H >><BR><BR>

    You need a 115.5mm spindle if you have a frameset with an
    oversized seattube...Certainly for a 34.9mm, 'maybe' for a
    31.8. Some of these can use a 111mm spindle.

    Phil is a good choice altho not that much lighter than an
    AC-H and lots more money.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 13 May 2004 22:27:24 -0700, [email protected] (Jochen) wrote:

    >Thanks for reading.
    >
    >I am building up with Centaur triple. (Crazy Hills round
    >here) Are there any alternatives to AC-H (other than SC-S,
    >which is not the direction I want to go with weight) I know
    >the newer Chorus and Record BBs are asymmetrical and do not
    >work. Athena BBs will work, I think... they were
    >symmetrical? I see them in 111mm... What about Phil Wood-
    >is there one that will function correctly? Any other
    >options? It mildly irks me that the AC-H is such an "boat
    >anchor" For those, what is the condition that necessitates
    >a 115mm spindle?

    There's nothing wrong with an AC-H bb. The only downside is
    the installation tool required.

    I'd think that the asymmetrical bb would work.

    You sometimes need the 115.5 bb if your seatube is 32 mm or
    wider. In my experience, most time not. On the wider tube,
    the derailleur will not travel in toward the frame enough.

    Others will strongly disagree but in practical use, a
    Shimano taper 107 for 111 Campy or 110 for 115.5 works fine.
    A Shimano BB UN 72, now 73 is a great value.

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    [email protected] (Jochen) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks for reading.
    >
    > I am building up with Centaur triple. (Crazy Hills round
    > here) Are there any alternatives to AC-H (other than SC-S,
    > which is not the direction I want to go with weight) I
    > know the newer Chorus and Record BBs are asymmetrical and
    > do not work.

    That's correct. You could use a Record track (111mm
    symmetric), either traditional or cartridge.

    > Athena BBs will work, I think... they were symmetrical? I
    > see them in 111mm...

    They are symmetric, but out of production for years. You
    might find one for a hefty price or just get lucky.

    > What about Phil Wood- is there one that will function
    > correctly?

    110.5mm PW, stainless or titanium. Expensive and not so
    light either.

    > Any other options? It mildly irks me that the AC-H is such
    > an "boat anchor"

    I won't comment on your weight fetish, other than you could
    always substitute a lighter crank/bb combination. I mean,
    you *bought* a Centaur triple group, didn't you? I would use
    the AC-H. It is a good bb.

    > For those, what is the condition that necessitates a 115mm
    > spindle?

    Chainline (shifting) and chainstay clearance.

    Robin Hubert

  6. > I am building up with Centaur triple. (Crazy Hills
    > round here)

    I have a Centaur triple group when I go to the mountains.
    Worked very well last year.

    > Are there any alternatives to AC-H (other than SC-S, which
    > is not the direction I want to go with weight)

    Don't know what SC-S means. An alternative is the Campagnolo
    Pista track bottom bracket. It uses 111mm spindle. I am
    guessing it is symmetrical like the 111mm AC-H. But a track
    bottom bracket does not have the weather tightness of a
    normal bottom bracket. The Pista is 220 grams. The AC-H is
    288 grams.

    > I know the newer Chorus and Record BBs are asymmetrical
    > and do not work.

    Right. They will probably move the chain line to places you
    don't want it.

    > Athena BBs will work, I think... they were symmetrical? I
    > see them in 111mm...

    Athena is AC-H. Athena, Daytona, Centaur, Veloce, Mirage,
    Xenon all use the AC-H bottom bracket. There is a non hollow
    bottom bracket too. Probably just AC without the -H on the
    end. I suppose the Mirage and Xenon received the non hollow
    bottom bracket.

    > What about Phil Wood- is there one that will function
    > correctly?

    Probably. But Phil Wood makes heavy stuff. And expensive.
    No one buys Phil Wood for reduced weight. The AC-H is $20
    from Excel Sports. You can buy a lot of AC-H bottom
    brackets for $20 each.

    > For those, what is the condition that necessitates a 115mm
    > spindle?

    The 111mm AC-H bottom bracket is used for all doubles
    regardless of seat tube diameter and all triples with
    smaller diameter seat tubes. I have a lugged steel frame
    with a 1.125" seat tube (clamp on front derailleur) and
    use the 111mm AC-H for my triple Centaur crankset. I also
    use the 111mm AC-H on my welded aluminum frame with a
    1.25" seat tube (clamp on front derailleur) and triple
    Centaur crankset.

    The 115mm AC-H is used for triples with very large seat
    tubes. A seat tube of 1.375" (for clamp on front derailleur)
    or very large seat tubes with braze on front derailleur
    would be about the only times you need to use the 115mm AC-H
    for a triple crankset.

  7. Russell Seaton <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Don't know what SC-S means.

    <snip>

    > Athena is AC-H. Athena, Daytona, Centaur, Veloce, Mirage,
    > Xenon all use the AC-H bottom bracket. There is a non
    > hollow bottom bracket too. Probably just AC without the -H
    > on the end. I suppose the Mirage and Xenon received the
    > non hollow bottom bracket.

    Centaur uses AC-H. Veloce uses the same thing with a solid
    axle (AC-S). Mirage and Xenon use SC-S, which has Steel
    Cups, while AC-H and AC-S have Aluminium Cups.

    Source: http://www.campagnolo.com

    Of course, all three bottom brackets are inter-changeable so
    there's no reason to use a particular bottom bracket with a
    particular groupset. All three are cheap and heavy, so
    there's no real difference.

    -as

  8. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    Jochen wrote:
    > Thanks for reading.
    >
    > I am building up with Centaur triple. (Crazy Hills round
    > here) Are there any alternatives to AC-H (other than SC-S,
    > which is not the direction I want to go with weight) I
    > know the newer Chorus and Record BBs are asymmetrical and
    > do not work. Athena BBs will work, I think... they were
    > symmetrical? I see them in 111mm... What about Phil Wood-
    > is there one that will function correctly? Any other
    > options? It mildly irks me that the AC-H is such an "boat
    > anchor" For those, what is the condition that necessitates
    > a 115mm spindle?
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Jochen Schübler
    I use the Phil Wood with a Centaur triple. The Phil Wood BB
    weighs about 15 grams more than the Record BB. And it's
    completely stainless steel. Phil's are the best.

    Kenny Lee

  9. paul-<< Others will strongly disagree but in practical use,
    a Shimano taper 107 for 111 Campy or 110 for 115.5 works
    fine. A Shimano BB UN 72, now 73 is a great value.
    >><BR><BR>

    And the same price as a AC-H, which is also a great value. I
    don't think anybody ought to use the wrong BB for a crank
    because some local bike shop is too lazy or inept to have
    the proper part.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  10. Jochen

    Jochen Guest

    I appreciate everyone's input, thanks for assisting me in
    beating this topic into the ground some more.

    >I won't comment on your weight fetish, other than you could
    >always substitute a lighter crank/bb combination. I mean,
    >you *bought* a Centaur triple group, didn't you?

    Affirmative. In fact, "comment" is welcome. Personally, I
    think it pardonable to troll r.b.marketplace for years and
    pick up the entire group sans BB & hubs for $280 and still
    want to pare weight, for instance, avoid heavy wheels. I
    would have bought lighter if it made $ & cents. There's
    nothing bad about trying to violate the "cheap, lightweight,
    or reliable, pick two" dictum, it's just unlikely that one
    can succeed. I'm just experimenting. I purchased a mint
    Bianchi Daytona frame with an Alpha Q Sub-3 fork (admitted
    bordering on "stupid light") at fire sale prices too. It's
    not likely I'll have the opportunity to ride a $4K bike to
    see if it can help me break through a plateau. Losing the
    difference in body mass that exists between heavy and light
    components is pretty easy, especially if you have a lust for
    spending long hours on your bike- that lust which can easily
    be amplified by a subjective impression of performance
    gains. It's a positive feedback mechanism that I have
    already proved exists for me, however irrational. I like
    heavy bikes too- I commute on a total "woof-woof"