Alternatives to Campag hubs?

Bow

Guest
I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

Thanks

Bow

Bow said:
I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

Thanks

Bow

Very good (and light)hubs are:

DT swiss 240s (www.dtswiss.com)

Pric is somewhat higher as Campa Record, but should be cheaper as Chris King.

bow-<< 'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.
I'd
love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there? >><BR><BR>

Hard to beat Campagnolo for the price, servicability, weight. CK are extremely
complex, bearing sets are $125 and take hours to overhaul.

What do you want other than Campagnolo hubs to do?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>...
> I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
> love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
> 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
>
> Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

I'm sure I'm missing something, but since they're the obvious choice:
what's wrong with Campy Record hubs?

Peter Storey

"Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>...

> I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
> love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
> 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

> Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

There are lots of alternatives. Zipp, SpeedCific, American Classic,
Torelli off the top of my head.

What are you looking for? Something a few grams lighter? drilled for
fewer spokes? something cheaper? colors to match/contrast your frame?
something different from the other cyclists you ride with?

It is hard to beat Campy parts so unless you are looking for something
Campy doesn't offer why not dance with the one that brung ya'?
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group
company

[email protected] (Peter Storey) wrote:

>"Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>...
>> I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
>> love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
>> 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
>>
>> Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

>I'm sure I'm missing something, but since they're the obvious choice:
>what's wrong with Campy Record hubs?

Probably won't impress the guys in the club. Well, except for the
ones that realize that the Record hub is actually better than any of
the chi-chi hubs on the botique wheels.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>>what's wrong with Campy Record hubs?

> Probably won't impress the guys in the club.

errrrkk .. whoa be the day that campag record fails to impress.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> bow-<< 'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.
> I'd
> love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
> 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
>
> Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there? >><BR><BR>
>
> Hard to beat Campagnolo for the price, servicability, weight. CK are extremely
> complex, bearing sets are $125 and take hours to overhaul.

I don't find the CK hubs that tough to work on. For basic maintenance,
I actually find them quite easy, and the bearings are covered for 5
years. Just my $0.02. ;-)

> What do you want other than Campagnolo hubs to do?

Personally, for road, I think the Campy hubs are awesome. They would be
one of my first choices. Easy to work on, beautifully constructed, and
parts will be available for a long time.

Oops, now I'm up to $0.04. Sorry.

Dave

Mark Hickey wrote:
> [email protected] (Peter Storey) wrote:
>>"Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>...
>>>I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.
>>>
>>>Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

>>I'm sure I'm missing something, but since they're the obvious choice:
>>what's wrong with Campy Record hubs?

> Probably won't impress the guys in the club. Well, except for the
> ones that realize that the Record hub is actually better than any of
> the chi-chi hubs on the botique wheels.

Mark H. is probably right - or at least, that's the correct answer in
many cases. I ride in a local club that is absolutely saturated with
boutique wheels. At stops, people chit chat about how they are going to
get this wheel or that wheel, and how it will really improve their ride
(not!).

Sooo... More than once on these rides, as I am rolling along with my
(vanilla) Chorus hubs and Campy (aero) rims, people ask "What sort of
new zowie-wowie wheel is that? It looks pretty trick!" Sigh.

Mark Janeba

In article <g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
>love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
>9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
>
>Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

Why? What deficiencies have you found with the Campy hubs that make you
want to switch to something else?
--------------
Alex

Thanks to all that responded.
And to all those that asked the question, "Why?" my simple answer is: If
you don't look at the alternatives you'll never know what you might be
missing out on. I've never had a problem with Campag, or Shimano for that
matter, but I will always be looking over the fence to see what colour the
grass is.

Thanks again,

Bow
"Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]...
> I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.

I'd
> love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
> 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
>
> Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bow

"Bruce Jackson" wrote
> Campy doesn't offer why not dance with the one that brung ya'?
> --

That's a bit like saying, "If it's Posix use Apache, if Windows, use IIS"

Thanks for the response,

Bow

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:03:59 +1000, Bow wrote:

> I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
> love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
> 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

Campy 9s hubs are the same as 10sp hubs.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:03:59 +1000, "Bow" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
>love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
>9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
>
>Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

Campy hubs are excellent. If you're looking for excellent value in a
cartridge bearing hub, have your local shop get you a set of Velocity
road hubs with Campy freehub.

I don't know why CK hubs won't work with 10 sp.

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:03:59 +1000, "Bow" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.

I'd
> >love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
> >9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
> >
> >Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?
> >

> Campy hubs are excellent. If you're looking for excellent value in a
> cartridge bearing hub, have your local shop get you a set of Velocity
> road hubs with Campy freehub.
>
> I don't know why CK hubs won't work with 10 sp.

Is it because CK hubs are "shimano" splined? If so, couldn't you use shimano
10 cassette and mix and match with campy drivetrain? I mix and match my
campy 9 drivetrain/ergo shifters with shimano 9 hub/cassette, using narrower
shimano 9 chain and it works fine! I would imagine campy and shimano 10 are
close enough to work together too.

Apparently Shimano cassette bodies are shorter than Campag's, so only 9 cogs
will fit.
Info sourced from branford bike.

Thanks, B

news:[email protected]...

Paul Kopit wrote:

> Campy hubs are excellent. If you're looking for excellent value in a
> cartridge bearing hub, have your local shop get you a set of Velocity
> road hubs with Campy freehub.
>
> I don't know why CK hubs won't work with 10 sp.

I asked Chris King the same thing last week and here is their reply:

The Campagnolo cassette uses a very deep groove cut into the
drive shell of the hub. This puts a restriction on the bearings that can
go inside there.The bearing size restricts the size of the axle. In
order to have a good solution for the campy 10 speed issue, we¹d need to
seriously reduce the size of our rear axle and develop at least one new
bearing (probably 2).

"That¹s all very interesting. Why don¹t you just do that and sell me a hub?"

Of course this is a good question. Take a look around the bike
industry, here¹s what you will find: There are only 5 companies that we
know of, including us, that make their own bearings. A new bearing is a
huge investment in machines, tooling, people and time. It is the most
difficult and finicky of parts to design and manufacture. That¹s why
nearly everybody in the bike industry buys them off the shelf from other
companies. This is why most bike parts that you buy, even the expensive
ones, have ***, NTN or SKS or somebody else¹s name stamped on them.
Making bearings is hard work. Before we can jump into this one, we need
a better idea of just how many of these things we¹d actually be able to
sell. We've been hoping that campy would just move to the Shimano cog
spline style for years. That'd be easier for the whole industry. Any
campy user could use any hub, a shimano user could use a campy wheelset.
That'd be great huh? So after all that the best we can give you right
now is, unfortunately, "not yet".

Thank you,
Katie
King Cycle Group
[End Quote]

Kenny Lee

dave-<< I don't find the CK hubs that tough to work on. For basic maintenance,

I actually find them quite easy, and the bearings are covered for 5
years. Just my $0.02. ;-) >><BR><BR>

Have you ever taken one apart, completely? 'Easy' is not the way I would
describle them.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

BA-<< There are lots of alternatives. Zipp, SpeedCific, American Classic,
Torelli off the top of my head. >><BR><BR>

Gent asked for 'good' alternatives..Torelli hubs are no more, BTW.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<HozQc.22407$%[email protected]>...

>"Bruce Jackson" wrote
>> Campy doesn't offer why not dance with the one that brung ya'?

> That's a bit like saying, "If it's Posix use Apache, if Windows, use IIS"

In my case if I had to use Windows I'd use Cygwin and run Apache anyway.
In fact I've done this before. There is a native build of Apache for
windows as well.

Point well taken that it is nice to have choices. However, if you are
going to go against the grain and use an unusual solution there should be
a compelling reason. In my case I know UNIX and similar systems 1,000
times better than I know Windows so for me it is the path of least
resistance. If I was like 99% of Windows users I'd better off running
IIS and being done with it.

I've used 3rd party hubs over the years: Specialized, Bullseye, High-E,
Weyless, Phil Wood, etc. These (at the time anyway) were better than
mainstream hubs in some particular way but overall it is hard to beat
Campy or Shimano hubs in quality and value. You can put a Ford 5 liter
V8 in a Volvo 240 or Mazda Miata though most people would be best
sticking with the engine that came with their car unless they had a
specific need they were addressing.
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company