Alternatives to Campag hubs?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bow, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Bow

    Bow Guest

    I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
    love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

    Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

    Thanks

    Bow

    Tags:

  2. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    Very good (and light)hubs are:

    DT swiss 240s (www.dtswiss.com)

    Pric is somewhat higher as Campa Record, but should be cheaper as Chris King.

  3. bow-<< 'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.
    I'd
    love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

    Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there? >><BR><BR>

    Hard to beat Campagnolo for the price, servicability, weight. CK are extremely
    complex, bearing sets are $125 and take hours to overhaul.

    What do you want other than Campagnolo hubs to do?

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  4. Peter Storey

    Peter Storey Guest

    "Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>...
    > I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
    > love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    > 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
    >
    > Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

    I'm sure I'm missing something, but since they're the obvious choice:
    what's wrong with Campy Record hubs?

    Peter Storey

  5. "Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>...

    > I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
    > love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    > 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

    > Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

    There are lots of alternatives. Zipp, SpeedCific, American Classic,
    Torelli off the top of my head.

    What are you looking for? Something a few grams lighter? drilled for
    fewer spokes? something cheaper? colors to match/contrast your frame?
    something different from the other cyclists you ride with?

    It is hard to beat Campy parts so unless you are looking for something
    Campy doesn't offer why not dance with the one that brung ya'?
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group
    company

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Peter Storey) wrote:

    >"Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>...
    >> I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
    >> love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    >> 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
    >>
    >> Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

    >I'm sure I'm missing something, but since they're the obvious choice:
    >what's wrong with Campy Record hubs?

    Probably won't impress the guys in the club. Well, except for the
    ones that realize that the Record hub is actually better than any of
    the chi-chi hubs on the botique wheels.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  7. Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>what's wrong with Campy Record hubs?

    > Probably won't impress the guys in the club.

    errrrkk .. whoa be the day that campag record fails to impress.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > bow-<< 'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.
    > I'd
    > love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    > 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
    >
    > Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Hard to beat Campagnolo for the price, servicability, weight. CK are extremely
    > complex, bearing sets are $125 and take hours to overhaul.

    I don't find the CK hubs that tough to work on. For basic maintenance,
    I actually find them quite easy, and the bearings are covered for 5
    years. Just my $0.02. ;-)

    > What do you want other than Campagnolo hubs to do?

    Personally, for road, I think the Campy hubs are awesome. They would be
    one of my first choices. Easy to work on, beautifully constructed, and
    parts will be available for a long time.

    Oops, now I'm up to $0.04. Sorry.

    Dave

  9. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:
    > [email protected] (Peter Storey) wrote:
    >>"Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>...
    >>>I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.
    >>>
    >>>Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

    >>I'm sure I'm missing something, but since they're the obvious choice:
    >>what's wrong with Campy Record hubs?

    > Probably won't impress the guys in the club. Well, except for the
    > ones that realize that the Record hub is actually better than any of
    > the chi-chi hubs on the botique wheels.

    Mark H. is probably right - or at least, that's the correct answer in
    many cases. I ride in a local club that is absolutely saturated with
    boutique wheels. At stops, people chit chat about how they are going to
    get this wheel or that wheel, and how it will really improve their ride
    (not!).

    Sooo... More than once on these rides, as I am rolling along with my
    (vanilla) Chorus hubs and Campy (aero) rims, people ask "What sort of
    new zowie-wowie wheel is that? It looks pretty trick!" Sigh.

    Mark Janeba

  10. In article <g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
    >love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    >9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
    >
    >Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

    Why? What deficiencies have you found with the Campy hubs that make you
    want to switch to something else?
    --------------
    Alex

  11. Bow

    Bow Guest

    Thanks to all that responded.
    And to all those that asked the question, "Why?" my simple answer is: If
    you don't look at the alternatives you'll never know what you might be
    missing out on. I've never had a problem with Campag, or Shimano for that
    matter, but I will always be looking over the fence to see what colour the
    grass is.

    Thanks again,

    Bow
    "Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:g0lQc.22338$%[email protected]
    > I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.

    I'd
    > love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    > 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
    >
    > Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bow

  12. Bow

    Bow Guest

    "Bruce Jackson" wrote
    > Campy doesn't offer why not dance with the one that brung ya'?
    > --

    That's a bit like saying, "If it's Posix use Apache, if Windows, use IIS"

    Thanks for the response,

    Bow

  13. On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:03:59 +1000, Bow wrote:

    > I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
    > love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    > 9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?

    Campy 9s hubs are the same as 10sp hubs.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
    _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
    (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
    nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

  14. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:03:59 +1000, "Bow" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed. I'd
    >love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    >9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
    >
    >Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?

    Campy hubs are excellent. If you're looking for excellent value in a
    cartridge bearing hub, have your local shop get you a set of Velocity
    road hubs with Campy freehub.

    I don't know why CK hubs won't work with 10 sp.

  15. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:03:59 +1000, "Bow" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.

    I'd
    > >love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good for
    > >9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
    > >
    > >Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?
    > >

    > Campy hubs are excellent. If you're looking for excellent value in a
    > cartridge bearing hub, have your local shop get you a set of Velocity
    > road hubs with Campy freehub.
    >
    > I don't know why CK hubs won't work with 10 sp.

    Is it because CK hubs are "shimano" splined? If so, couldn't you use shimano
    10 cassette and mix and match with campy drivetrain? I mix and match my
    campy 9 drivetrain/ergo shifters with shimano 9 hub/cassette, using narrower
    shimano 9 chain and it works fine! I would imagine campy and shimano 10 are
    close enough to work together too.

  16. Bow

    Bow Guest

    Apparently Shimano cassette bodies are shorter than Campag's, so only 9 cogs
    will fit.
    Info sourced from branford bike.

    Thanks, B

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:03:59 +1000, "Bow" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I'm in the market for some good hubs to suit a Campag Record 10 speed.

    > I'd
    > > >love to go for a Chris King but their website says they are only good

    for
    > > >9s, and if I've paid for 10 i want to have 10, right?
    > > >
    > > >Are there any good alternatives to Campag hubs out there?
    > > >

    > > Campy hubs are excellent. If you're looking for excellent value in a
    > > cartridge bearing hub, have your local shop get you a set of Velocity
    > > road hubs with Campy freehub.
    > >
    > > I don't know why CK hubs won't work with 10 sp.

    > Is it because CK hubs are "shimano" splined? If so, couldn't you use

    shimano
    > 10 cassette and mix and match with campy drivetrain? I mix and match my
    > campy 9 drivetrain/ergo shifters with shimano 9 hub/cassette, using

    narrower
    > shimano 9 chain and it works fine! I would imagine campy and shimano 10

    are
    > close enough to work together too.

  17. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    Paul Kopit wrote:

    > Campy hubs are excellent. If you're looking for excellent value in a
    > cartridge bearing hub, have your local shop get you a set of Velocity
    > road hubs with Campy freehub.
    >
    > I don't know why CK hubs won't work with 10 sp.

    I asked Chris King the same thing last week and here is their reply:

  18. dave-<< I don't find the CK hubs that tough to work on. For basic maintenance,

    I actually find them quite easy, and the bearings are covered for 5
    years. Just my $0.02. ;-) >><BR><BR>

    Have you ever taken one apart, completely? 'Easy' is not the way I would
    describle them.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  19. BA-<< There are lots of alternatives. Zipp, SpeedCific, American Classic,
    Torelli off the top of my head. >><BR><BR>

    Gent asked for 'good' alternatives..Torelli hubs are no more, BTW.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  20. "Bow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<HozQc.22407$%[email protected]>...

    >"Bruce Jackson" wrote
    >> Campy doesn't offer why not dance with the one that brung ya'?

    > That's a bit like saying, "If it's Posix use Apache, if Windows, use IIS"

    In my case if I had to use Windows I'd use Cygwin and run Apache anyway.
    In fact I've done this before. There is a native build of Apache for
    windows as well.

    Point well taken that it is nice to have choices. However, if you are
    going to go against the grain and use an unusual solution there should be
    a compelling reason. In my case I know UNIX and similar systems 1,000
    times better than I know Windows so for me it is the path of least
    resistance. If I was like 99% of Windows users I'd better off running
    IIS and being done with it.

    I've used 3rd party hubs over the years: Specialized, Bullseye, High-E,
    Weyless, Phil Wood, etc. These (at the time anyway) were better than
    mainstream hubs in some particular way but overall it is hard to beat
    Campy or Shimano hubs in quality and value. You can put a Ford 5 liter
    V8 in a Volvo 240 or Mazda Miata though most people would be best
    sticking with the engine that came with their car unless they had a
    specific need they were addressing.
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company