Alternatives to cumin and coriander in a curry?

Sudy

Guest
Hello

My blood test revealed a mild intolerance to coriander, cumin and dill. I want to keep eating
curries,and without these ingredients if possible, but as I've not experimented yet, I'm a bit
worried that the curries will now taste awful.

Is there anything I can use or make as alternatives, or, could I do without them anyway and not
notice much of a difference?

Thanks in advance

Sudy

[email protected] (Sudy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello
>
> My blood test revealed a mild intolerance to coriander, cumin and dill. I want to keep eating
> curries,and without these ingredients if possible, but as I've not experimented yet, I'm a bit
> worried that the curries will now taste awful.
>
> Is there anything I can use or make as alternatives, or, could I do without them anyway and not
> notice much of a difference?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sudy

Use a lot of onions, fresh ginger, black pepper and serrano/jalapeno peppers(if you can tolerate the
heat) and some turmeric, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to make your curries. You will barely miss the
coriander/cumin at least in tomato-based North Indian dishes. For South Indian dishes like
sambhar/rasam you are out of luck, although you should be fine if you can stick to the coconut based
ones like kootu/avial.

Good Luck, Kamala.

Sudy wrote:

> My blood test revealed a mild intolerance to coriander, cumin and dill. I want to keep eating
> curries,and without these ingredients if possible, but as I've not experimented yet, I'm a bit
> worried that the curries will now taste awful.

Who made this diagnosis? Was it a medical doctor, or some kind of "alternative medicine"
practitioner, like a chiropractor, iridologist, or naturopath? Was the diagnosis made with a device
called a Syncrometer?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:13:21 GMT, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sudy wrote:
>
>> My blood test revealed a mild intolerance to coriander, cumin and dill. I want to keep eating
>> curries,and without these ingredients if possible, but as I've not experimented yet, I'm a bit
>> worried that the curries will now taste awful.
>
>Who made this diagnosis? Was it a medical doctor, or some kind of "alternative medicine"
>practitioner, like a chiropractor, iridologist, or naturopath? Was the diagnosis made with a device
>called a Syncrometer?

The test you took was 100% quackery-ignore it and ask for your money back!!!

"Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sudy wrote:
>
> > My blood test revealed a mild intolerance to coriander, cumin and dill. I want to keep eating
> > curries,and without these ingredients if possible, but as I've not experimented yet, I'm a bit
> > worried that the curries will now taste awful.
>
> Who made this diagnosis? Was it a medical doctor, or some kind of "alternative medicine"
> practitioner, like a chiropractor, iridologist, or naturopath? Was the diagnosis made with a
> device called a Syncrometer?

It may have been a wide-ranging blood screen for allergens similar to one I took a while back. They
take 6 or 8 tubes of blood and then test it against literally hundreds of foods, pollens, and other
potential allergens. The problem with this test it that it is totally chemical in nature - if the
allergen in question causes a certain reaction in a blood sample it is labeled as "sensitive." I
pinned my doctor to the wall to get a more detailed explanation of the benefits. He admitted that a
sensitivity as revealed by this test often did not correlate with actual symptoms or other problems
experienced by the patient. It is more useful as a screen. If it reveals a sensitivity to something
then you can remove that from your diet for a while and see if you feel better. If so, great - if
not, then there's no reason not to go back to eating it.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
>Sudy wrote:
>
>> My blood test revealed a mild intolerance to coriander, cumin and dill. I want to keep eating
>> curries,and without these ingredients if possible, but as I've not experimented yet, I'm a bit
>> worried that the curries will now taste awful.
>
>Who made this diagnosis? Was it a medical doctor, or some kind of "alternative medicine"
>practitioner, like a chiropractor, iridologist, or naturopath? Was the diagnosis made with a device
>called a Syncrometer?

I'm so glad someone else asked this first :) I wondered the exact thing and also what it means to
be "intolerant" (mildly or otherwise) to a spice.

On 28 Jan 2004 21:40:52 GMT, [email protected] (Donna Pattee)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Sudy wrote:
>>
>>> My blood test revealed a mild intolerance to coriander, cumin and dill. I want to keep eating
>>> curries,and without these ingredients if possible, but as I've not experimented yet, I'm a bit
>>> worried that the curries will now taste awful.
>>
>>Who made this diagnosis? Was it a medical doctor, or some kind of "alternative medicine"
>>practitioner, like a chiropractor, iridologist, or naturopath? Was the diagnosis made with a
>>device called a Syncrometer?
>>

>I'm so glad someone else asked this first :) I wondered the exact thing and also what it means to
>be "intolerant" (mildly or otherwise) to a spice.

me, i can't stand ketchup on hot dogs.

your pal, blake

blake murphy wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2004 21:40:52 GMT, [email protected] (Donna Pattee) wrote:

>>>Who made this diagnosis? Was it a medical doctor, or some kind of "alternative medicine"
>>>practitioner, like a chiropractor, iridologist, or naturopath? Was the diagnosis made with a
>>>device called a Syncrometer?
>>>

>>I'm so glad someone else asked this first :) I wondered the exact thing and also what it means to
>>be "intolerant" (mildly or otherwise) to a spice.
>
> me, i can't stand ketchup on hot dogs.

That's not a medical condition --- it's just good sense.

---jkb

--
"No sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!"

-- Stewie Griffin