Alternatives to Ksyrium SSL SC

Aztec said:
I ended up going with Gravy to build my wheels, around a Powertap hub. I went with the same DT 1.1 rims (I'm glad to see you did -- it validates for me what I thought was a better product than the Mavics, even though I just learned about them and had seen none). The front is Record '04, and spokes are CX-ray, 28h radial fr and 2x rr. They ride smoothly, and are definitely stiffer laterally than the Velocity Spartacus Pro wheels that I swapped onto my other bike. When climbing hard, especially out of the saddle, they feel nice and tight. The Spartacus wheels would 'tink' and 'creak' sometimes.

Aztec: Agreed - the R1.1's are beautiful rims. I'm very, very pleased with my choice. Steve does make the best wheels. I've found that all of the above wheel sets ride better than the Mavic SSL's - again, a personal preference. I wish I could go with a 28/28 set up, but I weigh too much for a 28 spoke rear. I guess that's incentive enough.

I've got the DT Swiss R1.1's as well with the 240S hubs. 28 DT spoke front & DT 32 spoke rear. Never have ridden anything better. Smooth & true.

Love my SSL's. Don't know why people feel the need to dump on them, big step up from the Shimano 540's I had before that and for $700 I don't FEEL like I bought into some big marketing hype. I like to buy products from well known companies as well - who stand by their product, and Mavic has done this for me before.

mikem said:
Love my SSL's. Don't know why people feel the need to dump on them, big step up from the Shimano 540's I had before that and for $700 I don't FEEL like I bought into some big marketing hype. I like to buy products from well known companies as well - who stand by their product, and Mavic has done this for me before.

Mikem: I don't think there is any effort to "dump" on the SSL's, rather there have been a variety of reports about them; some good and some not so good (as in splichty's case). Some have reported great service from Mavic (as you've noted) and others have reported terrible service. I have no issue with my set - they held up under 220lbs. of middle-aged-type riding for 6 months before I went back to hand-built wheels. I have to say that I find these more comfortable than the SSL's, but again, just my opinion.

I think what most of us see with Mavic's SSL's is that the results are quite varied, and this is what some of us are concerned about. Given that one could purchase a very nice set of high quality, hand-built wheels for the same price and in many cases lighter in weight, it certainly gives one a question to ponder.

In the end, we all benefit from the experiences of others and I appreciate the experiences of those participating in this forum. Their comments help me to make better informed decisions, as have yours. Thanks,

-Wm.

Well said. I always figured it was because they were French! :) Had the same problem with Peugots in this country - quality just wasn't consistant!

In fact, I didn't know you could get customs for so little for such high quality! Had I known, I might've done that - but I have to admit, there is some serious BLING with these SL's! LOL!

No question, the Mavics look cool (although I'm not nuts about the rims). I don't know why they discontinued the black ones, though. Only silver in 2004?

My wheels, adjusted for subbing out the Powertap for a Campy record hub, would've been about $140 for rims, $200 for hubs (gotta shop around!), $150 for spokes (I think), and $120 for the build. That's just over $600, and from one of the most expensive builders around.

Now to get my Sparatus Pro wheels re-laced before I bust another one of the skinny and weak factory spokes! That's going to sting... that'll cost more than the entire wheelset originally did!!!

mikem said:
Well said. I always figured it was because they were French! :) Had the same problem with Peugots in this country - quality just wasn't consistant!

In fact, I didn't know you could get customs for so little for such high quality! Had I known, I might've done that - but I have to admit, there is some serious BLING with these SL's! LOL!

Mikem: I think you'll find that a very nice set of hand-built wheels will run about the same price, and depending on the builder's charge, a bit less. Wheels built around hubs from Zipp (95/220's), American Classic and DT Swiss (240s'), Campagnolo and Shimano, rims from Mavic, DT and others and spokes from Sapim, Velocity or DT will make for a great set of wheels. Comfortable, durable and reliable, but requiring the services of a qualified wheel builder to ensure all of the above. I agree that the SSL's have a certain "quality" about them which is very difficult to duplicate. Ask around the forum to see what others are riding on - you'll be amazed at the variety of options.

Quid Pro Quo - I'll trade you a look at one of my wheel sets. Regards,

-Wm.

Sounds like my wife's new bike is getting some used SL's and I'll be looking into this custom thing! :)

Aztec said:
No question, the Mavics look cool (although I'm not nuts about the rims). I don't know why they discontinued the black ones, though. Only silver in 2004?

My wheels, adjusted for subbing out the Powertap for a Campy record hub, would've been about $140 for rims, $200 for hubs (gotta shop around!), $150 for spokes (I think), and $120 for the build. That's just over $600, and from one of the most expensive builders around.

Now to get my Sparatus Pro wheels re-laced before I bust another one of the skinny and weak factory spokes! That's going to sting... that'll cost more than the entire wheelset originally did!!!

Aztec: Shhhhhhhhh...! We shouldn't discuss Steve's prices in this forum, just how good a wheel builder he is.... ;-)

And I think we'd agree he is very, very good at building wheels; not to mention that he is a world-class, master mechanic and all-around good guy too! Hard to argue price when you consider the above!

-Wm.

PS. Julia, if your reading, I love ya dearly!

need11@46 said:
Aztec: Shhhhhhhhh...! We shouldn't discuss Steve's prices in this forum, just how good a wheel builder he is.... ;-)

And I think we'd agree he is very, very good at building wheels; not to mention that he is a world-class, master mechanic and all-around good guy too! Hard to argue price when you consider the above!

-Wm.

PS. Julia, if your reading, I love ya dearly!

When you're expensive -- nearly double what most others charge, expect that info to get out! But, I'm all about being Fair and Balanced[TM], from what I can tell so far you are absolutely correct about his skills. I've heard lots of good stuff and never anything so much as neutral. That's why I paid that price. And actually, everyone in their shop is super nice and very helpful.