Alternatives to Mich and Conti's

Tech72

Nov 29, 2003
I'm looking for a set of clinchers for my new set of HED Jets. Besides the always popular and proven Michelin Pro Race 2 and 3's, the Continental GP4000 and Attack/Force combo and the Vittoria's range, what other alternatives to these do you recommend? I've had the Mich, Conti, Vitt and Vredstrein Fortezza Tri-Comp at various times during the past few years and like them all. I could simply get the tires I know. But recently, I found a set of Hutchinson Fusion 2 Ultra for an unbeatable price at the LBS. I've never used Hutchinsons. What's the word on the Fusion 2 Ultras? Are they as good as the Pro Race 2/3 and GP4000 overall for grip, wear, puncture resistance, etc.? My riding consists of about 250km/week over rolling terrain. The Hutch specs look good but opinions from those who have actually used Hutchinson Fusions would be appreciated.

Schwalbe Ultremo R or Ultremo DD. Vittoria 320 Open EVO CX. Maaxis Re-Fuse, Hors Categorie, Courcheval, or Columbiere.

I'm using Panaracer Stradius Pro on my latest restoration project and they feel pretty good to me. They might not be the newest or most glitzy tire on the market but they have low rolling resistence and grip dry pavement well. I haven't used them on wet pavement yet.

Schwables are nice tires and Vittoria Open Corsa EVOs are especially nice. I haven't tried any of the others so I really can't comment on them.