Alternatives to Topolino C19

Mister C

Dec 22, 2004
Hello All,

I am about to buy a new cross bike (probably a Calfee Cross, see my other post in Bike Buying forum).

The bike I am looking at has Mavic open pro wheels which I plan to use for rougher trails sporting cross tires.

For road rides and centuries, however, I want something nicer. I really like the Topolino C19 wheels mainly due to their ride quality. Well, they also look beautiful too. I understand that the newer model solved the troublesome hub issue in past models.

Any suggestions for alternatives? I am willing to sacrifice weight for ride quality. I have considered some handbuilt wheels with a high spoke count opr maybe some Bontrager Classics. I plan on using 25mm tires for most of the time but switching to 23mm for centuries or longer road rides. Again, ride quality is a primary factor for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mister C said:
Hello All,

I am about to buy a new cross bike (probably a Calfee Cross, see my other post in Bike Buying forum).

The bike I am looking at has Mavic open pro wheels which I plan to use for rougher trails sporting cross tires.

For road rides and centuries, however, I want something nicer. I really like the Topolino C19 wheels mainly due to their ride quality. Well, they also look beautiful too. I understand that the newer model solved the troublesome hub issue in past models.

Any suggestions for alternatives? I am willing to sacrifice weight for ride quality. I have considered some handbuilt wheels with a high spoke count opr maybe some Bontrager Classics. I plan on using 25mm tires for most of the time but switching to 23mm for centuries or longer road rides. Again, ride quality is a primary factor for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you want better ride quality, lower the pressure in your tires.

alienator said:
If you want better ride quality, lower the pressure in your tires.
Good advice Alienator and thanks for the response.

I have had way too many snakebites in the past though. I now usally run 95psi on 25mm tires and always inflate before each ride. I have not had a pinch flat since (except for the time I didn't air up before I rode).

What tire pressure would you suggest?

Also, with a handbuilt wheel I could use a wider rim. I have heard that wider rims are less prone to pinch flats. Would you agree? If so, what rim width?

Mister C said:
Good advice Alienator and thanks for the response.

I have had way too many snakebites in the past though. I now usally run 95psi on 25mm tires and always inflate before each ride. I have not had a pinch flat since (except for the time I didn't air up before I rode).

What tire pressure would you suggest?

Also, with a handbuilt wheel I could use a wider rim. I have heard that wider rims are less prone to pinch flats. Would you agree? If so, what rim width?

Sewups??
Great ride quality, no snakebite flats, safe as they don't come off the rim when flat. NOT hard to glue on.

Have to look into sewups more. Thanks for the suggestion.

How common is rolling the tire on a sewup though? And I suppose I would need to care a whole spare tire or two with me in case I get a flat. No pinch flats though.

Mister C said:
Have to look into sewups more. Thanks for the suggestion.

How common is rolling the tire on a sewup though? And I suppose I would need to care a whole spare tire or two with me in case I get a flat. No pinch flats though.

I have been riding sewups exclusively for about 24 years. I have had 2 flats on one ride twice in that time(and one was a poorly repaired tire, repaired by me). I carry one preglued spare tire. If the tire is glued on properly, it will not roll, BUT many who say they know how to glue these things on really don't. NOT hard or messy to do properly.

Mister C said:
I have never ridden a sewup. I will have to try them sometime.

Sewups generate all sorts of confusion and myths. First, as indicated by others, they're really not difficult to deal with. They're just different. The mythology has them rolling off rims much more than they do in reality. It's a rarity that they roll. The vast majority of riders never have it happen. As for their ride quality...well, that comes down to rider perception. There is nothing implicitly better about their construction that would make them ride better. There's no perceptible difference in ride between my clinchers and any tubies I've riddden. If you want a better ride out of your tires, lower the pressure.....unless you ride Tufos, then if you want a better ride, you need to throw your tires out.

Sewups don't pinch flat, but I can't remember the last time I pinch flatted a clincher.

FYI, I ride tubies much more than I ride clinchers.