Alternatives to Trek 7300

dgk

Guest
I'm thinking about getting a 7300 (it's a hybrid) to replace my 7100
which I'll continue to use as the winter beater bike. I'm pretty happy
with the 7100 except for blowing up spokes. That seems to have stopped
when I replaced the rear wheel but I think that it's maybe time to get
a nicer bike.

I do a 30 mile roundtrip commute several times a week so I've put a
lot of miles on the 7100. I just figured that I'd see what other
suggestions folks have. I prefer the gripshifts to the finger/thumb
type shifters because I can use them with mittens on. Eventually this
will likely end up the winter bike so I'd best start out with grip
shifts.

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:27:06 -0500, dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm thinking about getting a 7300 (it's a hybrid) to replace my 7100
>which I'll continue to use as the winter beater bike. I'm pretty happy
>with the 7100 except for blowing up spokes. That seems to have stopped
>when I replaced the rear wheel but I think that it's maybe time to get
>a nicer bike.
>
>I do a 30 mile roundtrip commute several times a week so I've put a
>lot of miles on the 7100. I just figured that I'd see what other
>suggestions folks have. I prefer the gripshifts to the finger/thumb
>type shifters because I can use them with mittens on. Eventually this
>will likely end up the winter bike so I'd best start out with grip
>shifts.

(This sort of post brings out a lot of "Do it like I do" responses,
but you knew that, right?)

Have you considered getting a cross or touring bike? Get the bars up
so you're not folded over, and you can have the benefits of multiple
hand positions, including drops for the fast/windy sections of your
commute, in addition to the lower rolling resistance of high pressure
tires. I'd be much less happy riding a 30 mile commute without the
drop bars. And since I can handle STI and Ergo shifters with
lobsters, I think it's possible with mittens.

As for the wheels, it's hard to believe I'll be the first to recommend
Jobst's book (and maybe a truing stand and tensiometer) to get them
properly tensioned and stress relieved. Most wheels aren't, IME.

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 19:26:07 -0600, Patrick Lamb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:27:06 -0500, dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I'm thinking about getting a 7300 (it's a hybrid) to replace my 7100
>>which I'll continue to use as the winter beater bike. I'm pretty happy
>>with the 7100 except for blowing up spokes. That seems to have stopped
>>when I replaced the rear wheel but I think that it's maybe time to get
>>a nicer bike.
>>
>>I do a 30 mile roundtrip commute several times a week so I've put a
>>lot of miles on the 7100. I just figured that I'd see what other
>>suggestions folks have. I prefer the gripshifts to the finger/thumb
>>type shifters because I can use them with mittens on. Eventually this
>>will likely end up the winter bike so I'd best start out with grip
>>shifts.

>(This sort of post brings out a lot of "Do it like I do" responses,
>but you knew that, right?)

Not many so far. But yes, I knew that. And they would help.

>Have you considered getting a cross or touring bike? Get the bars up
>so you're not folded over, and you can have the benefits of multiple
>hand positions, including drops for the fast/windy sections of your
>commute, in addition to the lower rolling resistance of high pressure
>tires. I'd be much less happy riding a 30 mile commute without the
>drop bars. And since I can handle STI and Ergo shifters with
>lobsters, I think it's possible with mittens.
>
>As for the wheels, it's hard to believe I'll be the first to recommend
>Jobst's book (and maybe a truing stand and tensiometer) to get them
>properly tensioned and stress relieved. Most wheels aren't, IME.

Thanks much, I found this site:
http://www.faughnan.com/touringbike.html

which seems to have lots of info. But cost is a factor here; I have to
leave the bike outside all day. I was willing to risk $500 or so, but
I can't see going over that.