Altimeter-Barometer-Compass Watches - Anyone Have Experience?

PoB wrote:

> Have you tried Minoura Space grips - the loopy bit that goes round the bars
> can expand quite dramatically - before I trimmed it, mine could go round the
> boom on my SMGT

I've seen it but I don't think it would work. I'd need two, which means
a lot of extra weight, plus they take up too much space and interfere
with the movement of the trike.

EFR
Ile de France

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch wrote:
>Artemisia wrote:
>> So I'm looking into the Garmins. I don't like the short-lived non-
>> removable li-ion battery on the Edge 705. Plus since IGN has the
>> monopoly on detailed land maps in France, I'm not sure that the Edge
>> could have compatible ones.

>I would guess you have no need of detailed land maps to navigate the
>road network, just road maps.

But having topographic maps on a GPS can be very nice, even if you
don't _need_ them: http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_france.htm

That does limit the choice of devices to PocketPC/smartphone types
though, I think. (You could still use Memory Map to load routes etc. onto
other GPS units.)

Whether there's a French equivalent of http://www.satmap.com/ I have no idea.

> Go to a GPS dealer and see what they have
>I think would work best: it's difficult to judge exactly what someone
>else will have a use for given the potential options.

Seconded.

>> Perhaps its best to separate cycling from other functions.

>I don't think I've ever seen a GPS which claims to be cycling specific.

The Garmin Edge series, but only because they combine the GPS with a
cycling computer. I can't think of anything about GPS functionality that
would be cycling specific. Ability to recharge from a dynamo, perhaps....

>> Plus cadence, a feature which I would love to have, probably
>> cannot be configured on this architecture.

>All you need to judge cadence is a watch with a display in seconds.

But the Edge 305 and 705 do have cadence sensors, or at least the option
for them.

Peter Clinch wrote:

> I have trouble believing you have to come to the UK in order to find a
> decent selection of cycling shoes.

The offer here is really very oriented towards road and men. In all the
shops I've traipsed through on my various searches for bikes, I've only
ever seen small selections of road shoes for men, except at the Mondial
des 2 Roues where they had some mtb footwear on display but not for
sale. The shop through whom I bought Widders did have those Shimano
sandals, but they were furiously expensive. Also they had a strong
uptilt on the toe - I can never wear shoes that have this. Plus they are
seriously hideous imho.

I would need to take a day to hoof all the bike shops in Paris to find
products to even try on. By the time they get there, the price is double
what you'd find on the Internet or by mail order, so the idea would be
to find a model that is comfortable and then order it via Web.

For this very reason I take several trips per year to the UK, to do my
shopping. I find it is a much larger market with far more variety on offer.

As for the BGs, I adore their gloves, and I've also used and liked their
insole when cycling with ordinary shoes. So while not limiting myself to
them at all, I'd like to try a size up from the shoes that hurt (which I
ordered by mail from Edinburgh, precisely because I had never seen
anything like that locally). I normally take a 39 but perhaps in cycling
shoes I should aim for a 40.

I'll be in Dublin in mid June. I wonder what the bike shops are like there?

Ta
EFR
Ile de France

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Why not just tape or glue a small 1 LED flasher to each mudguard? That
> will do the "I am here" job much more easily and cheaply, and since
> they'll be on top of the wheels probably more effectively.

That would do for "I am here", but not really for "Where am I going?".
Stretches of the road are very dark as well as horribly pitted. The
offroad section would need floodlights to be navigable. Plus I really
don't enjoy riding at night. Part of the use and beauty of cycling for
me is to get some sunlight and vitamin D in the system and counteract
the old SAD's.

April is a tricky period because we get rapidly lengthening days, and
just when you think you're making headway the hour changes and you get
whacked back to where you were in February. The issue is dawn rather
than dusk. I have to get up early enough to avoid traffic but not so
early as to ride in the dark. Plus every minute of sleep counts.

Anyway, I think I've given up on the ABC watch. Saves a packet. Thanks all,

EFR
Ile de France

On 2008-05-15, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 15 mai, 15:29, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Helmet mounted?

> I may be constrained to that. But one of the supreme pleasures of the
> trike so far has been leaving the *%¤*ing headgear at home for once
> and feeling the wind in my hair. Plus I really wanted two headlights,
> one on each side, to demarcate the width of the trike. They need to go
> on the crossbar but it's just too thick to accept any mount.

It's probably pricier than you want, but have you looked at Busch &
Müller's Ixon IQ Speed battery-powered light? I just got one recently,
and it uses a flexible heavy-duty rubber strap and clamp to lock onto
the handlebars -- it looks plenty big to fit Widder's crossbar. Plus,
it has the optics of an automotive low beam, so it's well-behaved on
the roads. You can probaby get by with just one, but if you insist,
two lights can run off the same battery (there's a slave cable in the
battery pack's puch for the second light). The pack itself just velcroes
on to whereever is convenient via a nice long elasticized strap, so that
shouldn't be a problem, either. And if you are forced to go with headgear,
you can get a helmet mount.

And yes, it's bright. Very bright. I actually use it as a daytime running
light as well (no trust of drivers here), and it works quite well at
getting me noticed.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff
[email protected]

Artemisia wrote:

> That would do for "I am here", but not really for "Where am I going?".

Indeed, but you don't need dual lamps for that, just one decent one
which you can mount at the front using the braze-ons provided by HP Vel.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 16 mai, 00:31, Kristian M Zoerhoff <[email protected]>
wrote:

> It's probably pricier than you want, but have you looked at Busch &
> Müller's Ixon IQ Speed battery-powered light? I

From the picture it doesn't look like it would go round at all. The
diameter of the cross-beam is a good 3 inches!

Thanks anyway.

EFR
Ile de France

Artemisia wrote:
> On 15 mai, 11:43, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> To be quite frank I'd say don't bother. If you want navigation to be
>> easier get a GPS.

> I'm coming to the same conclusion. Now to find the right GPS. My
> TomTom is worse than useless. ......

> There's a company in France called IGN which produces all of the
> trekkers' and cyclists' land maps, with the kind of detailed trail
> information one needs when one is deliberately trying to _avoid_
> autoroutes. ...........

> So I'm looking into the Garmins. I don't like the short-lived non-
> removable li-ion battery on the Edge 705.

I have a Garmin hand-held (Vista CX). It can take map data in Garmin
format. Its been reliable on the handlebar bag of my bikes for some time.
The mount is starting the wear and become a bit rattly, but I don't suffer
from the battery disconnect others report (I think that was a problem with
earlier B&W Garmin models).

There is public domain (free) data for every commune centre in France,
arranged heirarchically, available in Garmin format. I have that data
loaded on my Garmin; it gives me a spot on the screen for every commune
(down to the little tiny tiny villages). I find that is sufficient to
navigate on a bicycle, when combined with a paper map.

The GPS says "I am here" and "around here are the following named communes".
I can then relate that easily to the paper map.

If I want to pre-plan a route, I just link legs between key communes; they
appear as straight lines on the GPS. I expect to wander around roughly
following the line, but its accurate enough.

What it doesn't do so well is urban navigation; I would need a different
solution for "turn left at second road after underpass".

I agree with the comments about barometer/compass watches; mostly just a
gadget in search of a solution. A handheld compass is simpler, cheaper and
far more accurate. A barometer has its uses when navigating, but only
really in mountain areas where one would be questioning the sanity of the
VVT riders !

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

| For sunrise/sunset you'll have vastly more accurate information from a
| GPS unit, because it knows where it is. A watch will only manage the
| nearest time zone, which could be almost an hour out while a GPS will
| give it to you to the minute.

In France in particular, the sunrise/sunset time on a non-GPS watch is
likely to be *way* off due to the bizarre little jumps the timezones make in
that part of Europe. France is, if I recall correctly, offset by a full hour
from where it "should" be. The result is that it stays light far later (at
least in the summer, which I can verify by personal observation) than it
should.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> In France in particular, the sunrise/sunset time on a non-GPS watch is
> likely to be *way* off due to the bizarre little jumps the timezones make in
> that part of Europe. France is, if I recall correctly, offset by a full hour
> from where it "should" be. The result is that it stays light far later (at
> least in the summer, which I can verify by personal observation) than it
> should.

They changed the clocks to German time during the occupation. Never
changed it back. Yellow headlamps law lasted a long time too...

On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:00:36 +0100, Dan Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> In France in particular, the sunrise/sunset time on a non-GPS watch is
>> likely to be *way* off due to the bizarre little jumps the timezones make in
>> that part of Europe. France is, if I recall correctly, offset by a full hour
>> from where it "should" be. The result is that it stays light far later (at
>> least in the summer, which I can verify by personal observation) than it
>> should.

> They changed the clocks to German time during the occupation. Never
>changed it back.

But recalcitrant villages set their church clocks to the "vielle
heure" for a long time after, and of course sundials on older
buildings still show the "proper" time.

>Yellow headlamps law lasted a long time too...

That got done by the EC requirement that white headlamps should be
able to be used everywhere. It didn't specifically forbid the use of
yellow lamps, but for manufacturers, once the mandatory use of yellow
was no longer there, they did their sums and ended up fitting all cars
with white lamps.

Personally, I preferred the yellow lamps. The stray light from badly
adjusted beams on cars coming in the opposite direction was far less
tiring at night, and some also claim that it was better in fog.

On May 15, 2:43 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> As to will it get dark, well, at this time of year in this part of the
> world, today the sun will go down a wee bit later than it did yesterday.
> Once we're past September 23 it will be going down a little earlier
> every night.

The calendar is funny in your part of the world.

Robert Chung wrote:
> On May 15, 2:43 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> As to will it get dark, well, at this time of year in this part of the
>> world, today the sun will go down a wee bit later than it did yesterday.
>> Once we're past September 23 it will be going down a little earlier
>> every night.

> The calendar is funny in your part of the world.

Mea Culpa, I should have used the equinoxes rather than the solstices.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
>> On May 15, 2:43 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> As to will it get dark, well, at this time of year in this part of the
>>> world, today the sun will go down a wee bit later than it did yesterday.
>>> Once we're past September 23 it will be going down a little earlier
>>> every night.

>> The calendar is funny in your part of the world.

> Mea Culpa, I should have used the equinoxes rather than the solstices.

I'm not doing well here, am I. I should have used the solstices and not
the equinoxes. Duh. Better get a coffee! ;-)

Pete.