Altimeter-Barometer-Compass Watches - Anyone Have Experience?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Artemisia, May 14, 2008.

  1. Artemisia

    Artemisia Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm considering buying one of those ABC watches, and am currently
    hesitating between a Casio Pathfinder/Pro-Trek model and a Suunto Core.
    Both have altimeter, barometer, temperature, digital compass, stopwatch,
    and are waterproof farther than I ever dive. Both have log capacities,
    the Casio allows you manually record a log while the Suunto logs trends
    automatically over several days.

    The advantages of the Casio are:
    a) solar powered battery that should recharge itself on daylight; hence
    less worry about replacing batteries and the attendent risk of losing
    the water-proofing (as happened on my Timex Ironman).
    b) Radio-controlled time, which resets itself automatically the world
    over, so stays accurate and does not have to be reset for Daylight Savings.
    c) much cheaper than the Suunto
    d) better design, clearer display, less fussy, easier to read

    The Suunto does not have a solar battery or the radio-controlled time,
    but on the other hand has two features which I consider key: a storm
    alarm and sunrise-sunset times. This is vital information for my cycling
    days and I am constantly checking it on the internet. It would be useful
    to have it handy for when I don't have internet. Indeed, I don't really
    understand the utility of all this alti-baro stuff otherwise - all I
    need to know is if it's going to rain or go dark in the next hour.

    Another useful feature about the Suunto is that you can set a bearing
    with the compass which will then tell you when you are going towards
    where you want to go and when you are veering off-course: useful for
    someone like me who is deficient in orientation skills. OTOH the
    rotating bevel on the compass has been described as very hard to turn,
    whereas the equivalent on the Casio turns correctly.

    So overall I like the feature set of the Suunto much better, but find it
    fussier (visually it's pretentious and annoying) and less practical in
    the fundamentals. The Casio seems to me more reliable as a basic watch.
    The Suunto's advantages thus only apply if they really _work_.

    Neither watch has a feature that I _would_ like: gradient percentage -
    the bike forums keep asking me about the gradient on my hill and I can't
    tell you, except to say that there are parts of it that look like the
    hypotenuse in my old math books.

    Neither are HRMs, although Suunto does have some older models that
    combine ABC and HRM. However, I'm annoyed with upmarket HRMs - neither
    Timex Ironman nor Polar has ever worked so well for me as my dear old
    bottom basement Sigma. So I'll just wear two watches when I want HRM -
    luckily I have two wrists.

    Does anyone have experiences to relate, especially of the storm-warning
    feature? I know the Core is a very recent model. Are people who have
    Suunto products generally pleased with them? What is the battery life?
    Casio I know as the world standard for digital watches and I've had a
    few already, so they are a tough act to beat for me.

    Thanks,

    EFR
    in Isle de France where the weather reports constantly predict storms
    for 4 days on end, but then we only get 20 minutes of piddle, and I end
    up not cycling when I could have!

    Tags:

  2. simonk

    simonk Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:03:04 +0100, Artemisia wrote
    (in article <[email protected]>):

    > all I
    > need to know is if it's going to rain or go dark in the next hour.

    Can't you tell this by looking at the sky, or checking the time?

    --
    simonk

  3. Duncan Smith

    Duncan Smith Guest

    > Does anyone have experiences to relate, especially of the storm-warning
    > feature? I know the Core is a very recent model. Are people who have
    > Suunto products generally pleased with them? What is the battery life?
    > Casio I know as the world standard for digital watches and I've had a
    > few already, so they are a tough act to beat for me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > EFR

    Casio Pro-Tek's barometer/altimeter could in theory be used for
    navigation against a map, although you'd have to set it to a known
    hight before setting off and even then it's subject to variations in
    the weather throughout the day. If you have nothing else on you then
    the compass will work at a pinch so long as your wrist is kept level -
    however the readings on the bevel will all wear off within a few
    months and it's of limited use since it's not transparent and can't
    be placed over your map. If you need to take a bearing off a map -
    you'd be far better off with a basic Silva compass for c£20. The
    Casio takes a whopping 5 batteries which will set you back £30 to
    change when they run out.

    If you're looking for cycling device, I'd probably go for a GPS
    enabled running or cycling unit like the Garmin Forerunner or Edge 705
    - good for recording distances, finding your way back home, and if you
    download the data into Memory-Map you'll get your elevation profiles
    and the gradients that you're after (albeit post-ride).

    Don't know about the Suunto - but I'd be skeptical of anything you
    wore on your wrist that claimed to predict the weather (with a degree
    of accuracy) - perhaps a set of water-proofs would be a better
    investment? As for going dusk/dark, unless you've traveled hundreds
    of miles overnight then it should be about the same as yesterday -
    easy!

    Sorry to hear your hols were a bit of a wash-out, where the trains
    trike-friendly in the end?

    Regards,

    Duncan

  4. Artemisia

    Artemisia Guest

    On 15 mai, 00:02, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you need to take a bearing off a map -
    > you'd be far better off with a basic Silva compass for c£20.

    I have a manual compass. I can't really use it to find the way back to
    the hotel in an unfamiliar city ...

    > The
    > Casio takes a whopping 5 batteries which will set you back £30 to
    > change when they run out.

    But when do they run out? £30 every few years strikes me as perfectly
    acceptable.

    > If you're looking for cycling device, I'd probably go for a GPS
    > enabled running or cycling unit like the Garmin Forerunner or Edge 705
    > - good for recording distances, finding your way back home, and if you
    > download the data into Memory-Map you'll get your elevation profiles
    > and the gradients that you're after (albeit post-ride).

    I have indeed been looking into those devices. The Edge 705 has only
    just come out and so far reports on it are inconclusive. In one of the
    cycling ngs, someone reported having a lot of problems with it because
    it couldn't handle the shaking of the bike and kept cutting out! Also
    I have a constant problem with the mounting of such devices on my
    recumbent, hence the interest of having something on my wrist. The
    Forerunner, however, is too large to use as a watch and has only very
    limited navigation capacities as far as I have read. I have owned a
    Timex Ironman which was practically useless in its GPS and HRM
    functionalities, although very nicely designed as a plain watch.

    > As for going dusk/dark, unless you've traveled hundreds
    > of miles overnight then it should be about the same as yesterday -
    > easy!

    My morning routine is very tight; there are two routines depending on
    whether I am going to bike or bus to work. I do not like to ride in
    the dark. I rise at 5:30 to get to work before 8:00 am. By bus I can
    have 40 minutes more sleep - a priceless commodity. But there is no
    point rising so early if there is no daylight at about 6:30.
    Throughout April, sunrise time was a constant issue for me.

    Thanks for your feedback,

    EFR
    Ile de France

  5. Duncan Smith

    Duncan Smith Guest

    > I have a manual compass. I can't really use it to find the way back to
    > the hotel in an unfamiliar city ...

    Then it's unlikely a watch compass would help you any further. Sounds
    like you'd be better off with a GPS.

    > But when do they run out? £30 every few years strikes me as perfectly
    > acceptable.

    Yep, will last for a couple years even with heavy use of the light and
    alarms, no problem.

    > I have indeed been looking into those devices. The Edge 705 has only
    > just come out and so far reports on it are inconclusive. In one of the
    > cycling ngs, someone reported having a lot of problems with it because
    > it couldn't handle the shaking of the bike and kept cutting out!  Also
    > I have a constant problem with the mounting of such devices on my
    > recumbent, hence the interest of having something on my wrist. The
    > Forerunner, however, is too large to use as a watch and has only very
    > limited navigation capacities as far as I have read. I have owned a
    > Timex Ironman which was practically useless in its GPS and HRM
    > functionalities, although very nicely designed as a plain watch.

    Most Garmins seem to suffer from cut-outs when riding over bumps -
    fortunately, this is easily fixed by wedging a small piece of folded
    cardboard or paper inbetween the battery contacts and the body housing
    (to better push the contact onto the battery). I tried this on an
    eTrex I'd been havng the same problem with - it's been fine ever
    since.

    I've found using a smart-phone/pocket pc with MemoryMap (the Ordnace
    Survey maps) good for exploring (you can't get better maps), you can
    get plenty of handle-bar mounts (maybe harder for 'bents though?) or
    water-proof aqua-packs/sport-packs that can be worn on the wrist or
    around the neck for most phones from places like MobileFun.com.
    That'll give you about 3-4 hours of batt life, but you can carry any
    number of spare batteries or even charge on the go from a dyno. In
    addition, wearing the Forerunner 305 (just while cycling, not all the
    time - it's bulky as you say) is good for a few reasons - you get
    cadence, distance, speed readouts when you're on the go and following
    the map route back home will ensure you never get lost.

    > My morning routine is very tight; there are two routines depending on
    > whether I am going to bike or bus to work. I do not like to ride in
    > the dark. I rise at 5:30 to get to work before 8:00 am. By bus I can
    > have 40 minutes more sleep - a priceless commodity. But there is no
    > point rising so early if there is no daylight at about 6:30.
    > Throughout April, sunrise time was a constant issue for me.

    I can empathize with you there, my commute starts at 06:30 and my
    night vision is very poor. I don't know if you have any desire to
    ride in the dark at all - but I found using a very powerful lightset
    like the Lupine Betty took all the trepidation out of night riding, it
    went from being an uncomfortable experience to a quite pleasnt one.

    Happy hunting. Hope you find some kit that works out well for you.

    Regards,

    Duncan

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Artemisia wrote:

    > I'm considering buying one of those ABC watches

    I have one (a Stormlite, an own-brand of one of the UK's major outdoor
    retailers) which I use for mountaineering, where it can be quite handy
    as a navigation tool. I never wear it apart from that as it's bulky and
    clumsy compared to a "normal" watch, and that is true of every one of
    these things I've ever seen: I think the sensor hardware sets bulk
    restrictions they have yet to find a way around.

    > The Suunto does not have a solar battery or the radio-controlled time,
    > but on the other hand has two features which I consider key: a storm
    > alarm and sunrise-sunset times. This is vital information for my cycling
    > days and I am constantly checking it on the internet.

    The storm alarm will be a joke, because we're not actually that good at
    weather forecasting. You'll get much better weather information from a
    local forecast. I imagine all it does is peep when the pressure drops
    like a stone, but you'll actually have a pretty good idea about it at
    least as fast by seeing that the sky's the colour of lead and there are
    big booming sounds getting louder...

    For sunrise/sunset you'll have vastly more accurate information from a
    GPS unit, because it knows where it is. A watch will only manage the
    nearest time zone, which could be almost an hour out while a GPS will
    give it to you to the minute.

    > It would be useful
    > to have it handy for when I don't have internet. Indeed, I don't really
    > understand the utility of all this alti-baro stuff otherwise - all I
    > need to know is if it's going to rain or go dark in the next hour.

    It can easily rain without much significant happening to the pressure.
    Significant things can happen to the pressure without it raining. A
    watch is not going to reliably tell you it's going to rain.

    As to will it get dark, well, at this time of year in this part of the
    world, today the sun will go down a wee bit later than it did yesterday.
    Once we're past September 23 it will be going down a little earlier
    every night. Sunrise works similarly. So as long as you've noticed
    you've your cycling day is over by X:00 hours it isn't rerally going to
    change much the next day. Furthermore, the degree of effective
    darklness will vary a lot with cloud cover, especially in winter, with
    clear skies giving far more effective daylight at the end of the day, so
    again your Magic Watch doesn't actually tell you much more than a normal
    watch plus a vague awareness of what time it's been getting dark this
    last week.

    > Another useful feature about the Suunto is that you can set a bearing
    > with the compass which will then tell you when you are going towards
    > where you want to go and when you are veering off-course: useful for
    > someone like me who is deficient in orientation skills. OTOH the
    > rotating bevel on the compass has been described as very hard to turn,
    > whereas the equivalent on the Casio turns correctly.

    If you want to navigate, especially on road systems where often you
    don't proceed in straight lines to a destination, a GPS will be
    infinitely more use to you than a compass. In order to set a compass
    bearing to a destination you need to know where you are, and where your
    destination is, and do some calculation based on the map. Taking a
    bearing off a map with a protractor compass is easy, but these aren't
    protractor compasses so you can't lay them on a map grid, so you'll need
    to take a protractor along with you, no about magnetic variation and
    generall be clued in about map and compass use. And even with all of
    that it will be of little use. A GPS, on the other hand, will tell you
    where you are and if you program in the destination it will always know
    not only the direction to your destination but how far it is and, with a
    little more effort you can program in the exact route you want to take
    to get there, point by point.

    > Neither watch has a feature that I _would_ like: gradient percentage -
    > the bike forums keep asking me about the gradient on my hill and I can't
    > tell you, except to say that there are parts of it that look like the
    > hypotenuse in my old math books.

    You won't get that from a watch, because you need to know both your
    altitude and horizontal travel at the same time to work out gradient.
    And a watch knows nothing much about your horizontal travel, so it can't
    do gradient. A GPS with a built in altimeter (like the Garmin Geko 301)
    recording a track will keep a record of it, but it eats batteries a lot
    quicker if you leave it on the whole time.

    What is easy, however, is working out the gradient by just looking at
    the map, assuming it has contours. Steep hills tend to have gradient
    warning on them saying how steep they are: observe and note.

    > Does anyone have experiences to relate

    To be quite frank I'd say don't bother. If you want navigation to be
    easier get a GPS. if you want to know what the weather will do look at
    a local forecast. The temperature function on all of these things only
    comes up with meaningful numbers when it isn't next to a warm radiating
    body (i.e., the wearer) so that's largely useless, barometer function is
    good if you're a keen amateur meteorologist but otherwise it just gives
    you a fairly meaningless number, and while the altitude is interesting
    in hilly country it loses most of the navigation appeal it has for
    Alpinism as you know you're on the road. Any GPS will give you an
    altitude estimate, a GPS with barometric altimeter will do all that a
    watch can do and more.

    > in Isle de France where the weather reports constantly predict storms
    > for 4 days on end, but then we only get 20 minutes of piddle, and I end
    > up not cycling when I could have!

    And that's with professionals and supercomputers and vast data grids, so
    do you really think a simple watch that only monitors pressure where it
    is will do better? It won't, so in practice if you trust it to tell you
    the weather then you'll miss days you could have taken and you'll get
    soaked when you thought you'd be dry. Rather than a watch, spend the
    money on a decent set of waterproofs that make rain much less of an
    issue is my advice.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. Artemisia

    Artemisia Guest

    On 15 mai, 10:41, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > but I found using a very powerful lightset
    > like the Lupine Betty took all the trepidation out of night riding, it
    > went from being an uncomfortable experience to a quite pleasnt one.

    Same problem with lights as with a bike-mounted GPS: no way to mount
    them on my trike. I've had three super-bright Cateyes since November
    that I have tried every which way but loose on the trike, and it is
    simply not possible to position them correctly without having a custom
    mount system designed.

    EFR
    Ile de France

  8. Duncan Smith

    Duncan Smith Guest

    On May 15, 2:19 pm, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 15 mai, 10:41, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > but I found using a very powerful lightset
    > > like the Lupine Betty took all the trepidation out of night riding, it
    > > went from being an uncomfortable experience to a quite pleasnt one.

    > Same problem with lights as with a bike-mounted GPS: no way to mount
    > them on my trike. I've had three super-bright Cateyes since November
    > that I have tried every which way but loose on the trike, and it is
    > simply not possible to position them correctly without having a custom
    > mount system designed.
    >
    > EFR
    > Ile de France

    Helmet mounted? That fitting comes as standard with the Lupine, maybe
    quite a few others as well? I've never tried it as I don't often wear
    a helmet unless I have to - but I'm guessing the 'pro' would be that
    the beam follows where you're looking and not where the bike is headed
    and the 'con' being you'd better not stare directly at oncoming
    vehicles too much for fear of dazzling them.

    Regards,

    Duncan

  9. Artemisia

    Artemisia Guest

    On 15 mai, 11:43, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > To be quite frank I'd say don't bother.  If you want navigation to be
    > easier get a GPS.

    I'm coming to the same conclusion. Now to find the right GPS. My
    TomTom is worse than useless. The bint only knows one sentence: "Turn
    back where possible". She constantly tries to send me onto autoroutes
    and the software is buggy to the point of being unusable. I still
    haven't managed to pre-calculate any routes on it; I doubt it even has
    that function.

    There's a company in France called IGN which produces all of the
    trekkers' and cyclists' land maps, with the kind of detailed trail
    information one needs when one is deliberately trying to _avoid_
    autoroutes. They have their own GPS system called Georando. But
    because this is a French product in a completely captive market, I
    don't trust it at all. In addition to my fears that it won't be
    unuseable anywhere else, there is none of the improving influence of
    internatinal competition when we have this kind of monopoly. You get
    shoddy products, high prices, no support and arrogant attitude all
    together.

    So I'm looking into the Garmins. I don't like the short-lived non-
    removable li-ion battery on the Edge 705. Plus since IGN has the
    monopoly on detailed land maps in France, I'm not sure that the Edge
    could have compatible ones. IGN does endorse another Garmin, the
    60Csx, which seems to be a popular model with most of the features I
    would like, strong on navigation, but with no specific cycling
    functions. Perhaps its best to separate cycling from other functions.
    I have already had so much disappointment with the other combined
    solutions I've tried: Polar, Timex Ironman, Sigma's 2006 wireless bike
    computer with HRM and altimeter, which copped out on me after about
    50km. Plus cadence, a feature which I would love to have, probably
    cannot be configured on this architecture.

    Cheers and thanks for the helpful advice.

    EFR
    Ile de France

  10. Will

    Will Guest

    On May 14, 1:03 pm, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi all,

    > I'm considering:

    > altimeter, barometer, temperature, digital compass, stopwatch...
    > a storm alarm and sunrise-sunset times...
    > a bearing with the compass...
    > gradient percentage...

    I think the damage to your feet last week affected neurons elsewhere.

  11. Artemisia

    Artemisia Guest

    On 15 mai, 15:29, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Helmet mounted?

    I may be constrained to that. But one of the supreme pleasures of the
    trike so far has been leaving the *%¤*ing headgear at home for once
    and feeling the wind in my hair. Plus I really wanted two headlights,
    one on each side, to demarcate the width of the trike. They need to go
    on the crossbar but it's just too thick to accept any mount.

    EFR
    Ile de France

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Artemisia wrote:

    > So I'm looking into the Garmins. I don't like the short-lived non-
    > removable li-ion battery on the Edge 705. Plus since IGN has the
    > monopoly on detailed land maps in France, I'm not sure that the Edge
    > could have compatible ones.

    I would guess you have no need of detailed land maps to navigate the
    road network, just road maps. Go to a GPS dealer and see what they have
    I think would work best: it's difficult to judge exactly what someone
    else will have a use for given the potential options.

    > Perhaps its best to separate cycling from other functions.

    I don't think I've ever seen a GPS which claims to be cycling specific.

    > Plus cadence, a feature which I would love to have, probably
    > cannot be configured on this architecture.

    All you need to judge cadence is a watch with a display in seconds.
    Time yourself for ~15 seconds at roughly constant speed and multiply the
    number of pedal revolutions in that period by 4, and that's your
    approximate cadence. Your exact cadence doesn't really matter, the
    important thing is to know what you're comfortable with on a longish
    trip and if you're in the right ballpark which you can easily tell from
    the odd count or simple familiarity. While a computer with cadence
    might well be a useful training aid for the more serious athlete, for a
    tourer it's not really important as long as you can tell if you're
    mashing at low speeds or spinning at higher ones, and that certainly
    doesn't need a computer, just "my legs seem to be going round at their
    usual rate, which I measured some time ago to be about X".

    More gadgets add to weight, complexity, desirability for thieves and
    sometimes tend to isolate you from the actual cycling. Less can be more
    at times.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  13. Artemisia

    Artemisia Guest

    On 15 mai, 15:56, Will <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think the damage to your feet last week affected neurons elsewhere.

    Could be! My feet are still not back 100%, and I did another 20 km
    with the offending gear only yesterday. I badly need better-fitting
    shoes but these may prove very hard to find on the local market. In
    shops I've only ever seen road shoes for men. I need to get back to
    the UK to try some BG Comps in a larger size.

    EFR
    Ile de France

  14. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Artemisia wrote:

    > and feeling the wind in my hair. Plus I really wanted two headlights,
    > one on each side, to demarcate the width of the trike. They need to go
    > on the crossbar but it's just too thick to accept any mount.

    But if they go on the crossbar they won't mark the width as they'll be
    inboard of the wheels, which will obstruct light from them too.

    Why not just tape or glue a small 1 LED flasher to each mudguard? That
    will do the "I am here" job much more easily and cheaply, and since
    they'll be on top of the wheels probably more effectively.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  15. PoB

    PoB Guest

    "Artemisia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    On 15 mai, 15:29, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Helmet mounted?

    >I may be constrained to that. But one of the supreme pleasures of the
    >trike so far has been leaving the *%¤*ing headgear at home for once
    > and feeling the wind in my hair. Plus I really wanted two headlights,
    > one on each side, to demarcate the width of the trike. They need to go
    > on the crossbar but it's just too thick to accept any mount.

    Have you tried Minoura Space grips - the loopy bit that goes round the bars
    can expand quite dramatically - before I trimmed it, mine could go round the
    boom on my SMGT

  16. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Artemisia wrote:

    > So I'm looking into the Garmins. I don't like the short-lived non-
    > removable li-ion battery on the Edge 705. Plus since IGN has the
    > monopoly on detailed land maps in France, I'm not sure that the Edge
    > could have compatible ones.

    Memorymap do IGN now
    http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_france_onland_top25.htm

  17. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 07:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
    Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 15 mai, 15:29, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Helmet mounted?

    > I may be constrained to that. But one of the supreme pleasures of the
    > trike so far has been leaving the *%¤*ing headgear at home for once
    > and feeling the wind in my hair. Plus I really wanted two headlights,
    > one on each side, to demarcate the width of the trike. They need to go
    > on the crossbar but it's just too thick to accept any mount.

    Are the mudguard brackets not strong enough to support lamps? If not
    I'd have thought it would be pretty simple to have someone make up some
    heavy duty replacements.

  18. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Artemisia wrote:
    > I need to get back to the UK to try some BG Comps in a larger size.

    Don't particularly limit things to BG: the ones you did try alomst
    crippled you and didn't get on with the sole unit, not really much of a
    recommendation for another pair, is it?

    Try on /everything/ you can to make sure you get the best fit. All
    manufacturers use different lasts so their shoes are all different
    shapes from one another. People all have slightly different shaped
    feet. The only way to really tell if a shoe is well shaped to your
    particular foot is trying them on.

    I have trouble believing you have to come to the UK in order to find a
    decent selection of cycling shoes.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  19. POHB

    POHB Guest

    On 15 May, 14:46, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
    > So I'm looking into the Garmins. I don't like the short-lived non-
    > removable li-ion battery on the Edge 705. Plus since IGN has the
    > monopoly on detailed land maps in France,

    IGN may have the commercial market sown up, but OpenStreetMap has and
    will blow that wide open. See Paris for example.

    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.8517&lon=2.3383&zoom=12&layers=B0FT

    You can quite easily take the OSM data and turn it into a map that
    will upload to a Garmin - for free rather than the huge sums that
    Garmin charges. OK so the coverage is patchy depending on whether
    there are active OSM map-makers in your area, but it is getting better
    all the time and you can always fix it yourself.

  20. Artemisia

    Artemisia Guest

    Rob Morley wrote:

    > Are the mudguard brackets not strong enough to support lamps? If not
    > I'd have thought it would be pretty simple to have someone make up some
    > heavy duty replacements.

    In the manual it explicitly says not to put anything on the mudguards or
    their brackets. I contravened this by putting the computer on the
    bracket, but it's a lot lighter than a lamp would be.

    EFR
    Ile de France