Altimeters - Blackburn vs. Cat Eye, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by shawnews, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. shawnews

    shawnews Guest

    I work in a bike shop and there are two bike computers with altitude
    tracking available from our suppliers, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 and the Cat
    Eye CC-AT100 Altimeter.

    It's hard to know from bullet points in a catalogue which is better,
    obviously. The Cat Eye also does temperature and claims that its altitude
    tracking is more accurate because it adjusts for temperature. The Delphi
    6.0 is also a heart rate monitor so if their altitude functions are equal
    then I'll go with it, but if the Cat Eye truly is a better altimeter then
    I'd get a separate HR monitor.

    Does anyone know anything about these altimeters, or have any experience
    with them, that would be of value to me. Thanks in advance. :)
     
    Tags:


  2. john

    john Guest

    shawnews wrote:

    >I work in a bike shop and there are two bike computers with altitude
    >tracking available from our suppliers, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 and the Cat
    >Eye CC-AT100 Altimeter.


    > It's hard to know from bullet points in a catalogue which is better,
    >obviously. The Cat Eye also does temperature and claims that its altitude
    >tracking is more accurate because it adjusts for temperature.


    -snip-

    An altimeter w/o temp. comp. is next to useless, in my experience. I
    have observed as much as a 400-foot variation caused by temp. changes.
    I would go w/ the Cat Eye, & get HR info elsewhere. Or consider a Polar
    or other brand that gives both. Some Polars have temp. compensated
    altimeters. I'm not sure they all do. If your shop is a QBP shop, I
    believe they carry Polar. Polar is a very fine company w/ great
    customer service.

    Hope this helps, John
     
  3. Hans

    Hans Guest

    "shawnews" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:IX7Nf.82718$H%[email protected]
    > I work in a bike shop and there are two bike computers with altitude
    > tracking available from our suppliers, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 and the

    Cat
    > Eye CC-AT100 Altimeter.
    >
    > It's hard to know from bullet points in a catalogue which is better,
    > obviously. The Cat Eye also does temperature and claims that its altitude
    > tracking is more accurate because it adjusts for temperature. The Delphi
    > 6.0 is also a heart rate monitor so if their altitude functions are equal
    > then I'll go with it, but if the Cat Eye truly is a better altimeter then
    > I'd get a separate HR monitor.
    >
    > Does anyone know anything about these altimeters, or have any

    experience
    > with them, that would be of value to me. Thanks in advance. :)
    >
    >


    I cannot answer your question unfortumately. But I have an other related
    question. In Holland, where I live, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 should be
    available in september 2005. I like this one because it has an altimeter and
    a heart rate monitor combined for a reasonable price. But till now I cannot
    buy one because of delivery problems in Holland. Is it possible to buy one
    in other countries?
    Does anybody have any experience with the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 ?

    Thanks,

    Hans
     
  4. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Hans wrote:
    -----8<---cut

    > In Holland, where I live, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 should be
    > available in september 2005. I like this one because it has an altimeter and
    > a heart rate monitor combined for a reasonable price. But till now I cannot
    > buy one because of delivery problems in Holland. Is it possible to buy one
    > in other countries?
    > Does anybody have any experience with the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 ?
    >


    Hans,

    What kind of demand would there be for an altimeter in Holland?

    ;-) sorry ....

    /Robert, living in not-exactly-mountainous Sweden
     
  5. jtaylor

    jtaylor Guest

    "Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hans wrote:
    > -----8<---cut
    >
    > > In Holland, where I live, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 should be
    > > available in september 2005. I like this one because it has an altimeter

    and
    > > a heart rate monitor combined for a reasonable price. But till now I

    cannot
    > > buy one because of delivery problems in Holland. Is it possible to buy

    one
    > > in other countries?
    > > Does anybody have any experience with the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 ?
    > >

    >
    > Hans,
    >
    > What kind of demand would there be for an altimeter in Holland?
    >


    You'd need a v-e-r-r-y sensitive one...
     
  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:42:19 -0400, "jtaylor"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Robert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Hans wrote:
    >> -----8<---cut
    >>
    >> > In Holland, where I live, the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 should be
    >> > available in september 2005. I like this one because it has an altimeter

    >and
    >> > a heart rate monitor combined for a reasonable price. But till now I

    >cannot
    >> > buy one because of delivery problems in Holland. Is it possible to buy

    >one
    >> > in other countries?
    >> > Does anybody have any experience with the Blackburn Delphi 6.0 ?
    >> >

    >>
    >> Hans,
    >>
    >> What kind of demand would there be for an altimeter in Holland?
    >>

    >
    >You'd need a v-e-r-r-y sensitive one...


    And in places, one that measured depth as well as altitude...
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
     
  7. Rik O'Shea

    Rik O'Shea Guest

    Altimeter of this sort do not actually measure altitude, they only
    measure air pressure (similar to an aircraft altimeter). So the
    altitude measurement is effectively a pressure-based measurement of
    "pressure altitdue" (GPS performs a distance-based measurement of
    actual altitude).

    When these altimeters measure pressure they convert the pressure
    measurement to the altitude defined in ISA which is simply a
    mathematical model of atmosphere. The big problem with pressure based
    altimeters is distinguishing between changes in pressure due to
    altitude change (as you increase altitude pressure decreases) and
    pressure changes due to the weather changing - generally speaking they
    cant. Pilots periodically recalibrate using the altimeter air pressure
    for a known altitude and you are supposed recalibrate your altimeter
    before every ride - this process in itself is a little "ify" since it
    generally based on knowing the current value for sea level air pressure
    and your current altitude.

    I suspect the Cat Eye baraometer temperature reading just reads
    temperature and has no bearing on the altitude derivation. I own a
    number of altimeters and they cant distingush between air pressure
    change due to altitude change and/or weather change - despite the burb
    about advanced algorithms...

    Altimeters are great little gadgets and if you calibrate them before a
    ride they are probably acurrate to +/- 3 m during the ride itself.
     
  8. I had a cateye model about 5 years ago with the altimeter function.
    Worked a few weeks then keep reseting on it's own. chucked it. While
    it worked the altimeter function seemed somewhat accurate. Within a
    few hundred feet at the high passes in colorado. You could adjust it
    for varying air pressure but that was too much bother on a daily basis.

    I have a planet bike computer with built in thermometer. It's rather
    inaccurate. Direct sunlight runs the temp up an extra 10-15 degrees.
    Ride with the unit in the shade of your body and the temp drops. The
    sunnier the day, the more it heats up in that little plastic box.

    Also have an Avocet watch with the altimeter function. A used gift.
    Been sent in for repair many times by the previous owner. used it once
    during a yosemite trip for fun.

    So what do you want from an altimeter? Just to know your current
    altitude? Total climb for the day's ride? Down load the days ride
    into your pc and see a profile of the altitude changes? Calculate
    percent grade during the ride? Or do you just want a toy with lots of
    buttons.

    For something much more advanced:
    http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

    Rick
     
Loading...
Loading...