Altitude training effect?

JungleBiker

May 17, 2004
I normally live and train at about 150 meters above sea level, but for these two weeks I am working (and training) at a place 1,000 meters above sea level.

I am just curious as to what percentage improvement (in speed or endurance?) I might see when I go back home. Anybody have any idea or rule of thumb for this? Thanks.

JungleBiker said:
I normally live and train at about 150 meters above sea level, but for these two weeks I am working (and training) at a place 1,000 meters above sea level.

I am just curious as to what percentage improvement (in speed or endurance?) I might see when I go back home. Anybody have any idea or rule of thumb for this? Thanks.
You will see no gain at all. If you stay at 1,000M, then train at 150M you may see a small temporary increase in hematocrit. But living and training at altitude will not yeild gains at lower elevations. The reason why is not simple, but in a nutshell, at altitude you have less oxygen, but you also have less oxygen (duh) so that you can't train as hard. By living at altitude and training at significantly lower altitude you can stress your body, yet have some adaptation to the thinner air... even small gains require a large difference between living and training altitude (+2000M) and I think you will even find people that say live high, train low is still bunk.

wilmar13 said:
You will see no gain at all. If you stay at 1,000M, then train at 150M you may see a small temporary increase in hematocrit. But living and training at altitude will not yeild gains at lower elevations. The reason why is not simple, but in a nutshell, at altitude you have less oxygen, but you also have less oxygen (duh) so that you can't train as hard. By living at altitude and training at significantly lower altitude you can stress your body, yet have some adaptation to the thinner air... even small gains require a large difference between living and training altitude (+2000M) and I think you will even find people that say live high, train low is still bunk.

"...then train at 150M you may see a small temporary increase in hematocrit."

Modern studies do not support this claim.

Here is a review on recent studies of altitude training. Any benefit would be relating to muscle efficiency and not the oxygen transport system.

Thanks Wilmar and VeloFlash for your responses. :)

I got the percentage I was looking for (i.e. in the order of 6%) but in the wrong direction! :eek:

I thought I was in a good position here up in the mountains of northern Laos, but in fact I am DETRAINING! :(

Ah well, at least I am only here for 2 weeks and I guess I'd better not apply for the job in Bhutan! :D