Altura Phase 300 v Altura Nevis v Gill Exodus

Mseries

Guest
All of the jackets on the subject line look pretty good to
me, all are around £50 at the moment. Who has experience of
any of them ? Can any be recommended ?

MSeries [email protected] opined the following...
> All of the jackets on the subject line look pretty good to
> me, all are around =A350 at the moment. Who has experience
> of any of them ? Can any b=
> recommended ?

I have personal experience of the NevisLite and a friend has
the Nevis.=20 The NL has been pretty good and has kept me
dry (Well, has kept the rain=20 out) all winter. ISTR that
the Nevis has "pit-zips" which might make=20 cooling down
easier. The Nevis is also probably more suitable for=20
general use, the NL is nothing more than a Waterproof /
windproof shell.

A relatively recent discovery was that the NL packs down
into its rear=20 pocket which definately makes carrying
it easier.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
> MSeries [email protected] opined the following...
>> All of the jackets on the subject line look pretty good
>> to me, all are around £50 at the moment. Who has
>> experience of any of them ? Can any be recommended ?
>
> I have personal experience of the NevisLite and a friend
> has the Nevis. The NL has been pretty good and has kept me
> dry (Well, has kept the rain out) all winter. ISTR that
> the Nevis has "pit-zips" which might make cooling down
> easier. The Nevis is also probably more suitable for
> general use, the NL is nothing more than a Waterproof /
> windproof shell.
>
> A relatively recent discovery was that the NL packs
> down into its rear pocket which definately makes
> carrying it easier.

My Nevis does the same thing. I can't work out how though
(never been good at folding clothes). I'm not entirely sure
it's worth buying one at this time of year though - I went
out in mine today and was roasted due to the fact that it
doesn't let any wind through.

On 25/5/04 10:04 pm, in article [email protected], "MSeries"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> All of the jackets on the subject line look pretty good to
> me, all are around £50 at the moment. Who has experience
> of any of them ? Can any be recommended ?

I have a Nevis and it is very good. The only gripe is that
the zip is a bit flimsy and easy to misalign. It can also
come undone from the bottom very easily.

This was last years model though.

Otherwise it is an excellent jacket. Well worth the money.

..d

in message <[email protected]>, MSeries
('[email protected]') wrote:

> All of the jackets on the subject line look pretty good to
> me, all are around £50 at the moment. Who has experience
> of any of them ? Can any be recommended ?

I have an Altura Nevis. It's a good jacket - waterproof but
easy to wear, with good armpit zips, nice long tail, nice
detailing. It's not one of these ultra light ultra packable
things - I'd believe it will pack into it's own back pocket,
but it's back pocket is pretty large. It certainly doesn't
take up too much room in my bar bag. I've had it a year and
it's good as new; it seems quite durable. I'd buy another.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; in faecibus sapiens rheum
propagabit

Doki wrote:

> My Nevis does the same thing. I can't work out how though
> (never been good at folding clothes). I'm not entirely
> sure it's worth buying one at this time of year though - I
> went out in mine today and was roasted due to the fact
> that it doesn't let any wind through.

No, but if I can get a £100 jacket for £50[*] at this
time of year it is worth buying it and putting it away
for next year.

[*] of the three I mentioned only the Nevis has been
mentioned in replies and this is the only one not
discounted ATM !

The message <[email protected]>
from "MSeries" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> Doki wrote:

> > My Nevis does the same thing. I can't work out how
> > though (never been good at folding clothes). I'm not
> > entirely sure it's worth buying one at this time of year
> > though - I went out in mine today and was roasted due to
> > the fact that it doesn't let any wind through.

> No, but if I can get a £100 jacket for £50[*] at this
> time of year it is worth buying it and putting it away
> for next year.

> [*] of the three I mentioned only the Nevis has been
> mentioned in replies and this is the only one not
> discounted ATM !

I have a Phase 400 which is a much lighter jacket than my
partners Nevis and I'm very pleased with it. It's the sort
of waterproof I can keep on all day when the temps below 10
deg C and it's raining on and off. Only fault is that I
would have prefered a proper pocket to the mesh ones the
contents of which get sweaty.

Don't know if it's anything like the 300 though!

Nik

MSeries [email protected] opined the following...
> No, but if I can get a =A3100 jacket for =A350[*] at this
> time of year it=
is
> worth buying it and putting it away for next year.
>=20
> [*] of the three I mentioned only the Nevis has been
> mentioned in replies and this is the only one not
> discounted ATM !

Which is probably why we all own one, and not one of the
more expensive=20 types!

Try them on. Which one(s) do you find comfortable? Do you
have any=20 reason to doubt that any are waterproof? Which
one do you like the=20 colour of?

Jon

MSeries wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>
>> My Nevis does the same thing. I can't work out how though
>> (never been good at folding clothes). I'm not entirely
>> sure it's worth buying one at this time of year though -
>> I went out in mine today and was roasted due to the fact
>> that it doesn't let any wind through.
>
> No, but if I can get a £100 jacket for £50[*] at this
> time of year it is worth buying it and putting it away
> for next year.
>
> [*] of the three I mentioned only the Nevis has been
> mentioned in replies and this is the only one not
> discounted ATM !

The Nevis is normally £100? I got mine for £50. APWT...

On Wed, 26 May 2004 00:24:26 +0100, "Doki" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My Nevis does the same thing. I can't work out how though
>(never been good at folding clothes).

Folding? What's that then? Grab pocket, turn it inside out
and stuff the coat in with your fingers. When it's all
tucked away, do the zip up.

My wife, who is a gurl, folds her jacket, rolls it and then
puts it into the pocket. My way is quicker.

Tim

Doki:
> My Nevis does the same thing. I can't work out how though
> (never been good at folding clothes). I'm not entirely
> sure it's worth buying one at this time of year though - I
> went out in mine today and was roasted due to the fact
> that it doesn't let any wind through.

I concur. The NevisLite is very windproof and very
waterproof, but not at all "breathable", so in some respects
its no better than wrapping yourself in a black bin liner.

It also has a tendency, as someone else noted, to ride up at
the bottom (the two-way zip undoes itself from the bottom
up), leaving your backside exposed to the elements.

However, it is comfortable to wear - both on and off the
bike - and does a good job of keeping you warm and dry when
you need to be kept warm and dry.

d.