Aluminium frame size?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Derk Drukker, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    A friend of mine rides a 58CM center-center frame, but wants to order a new Alu frame that is
    measured Center-top op the seat tube.

    How big should he order it in order to get a 58 C-C frame?

    Thanks!

    Derk

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    Depends on the diameter of the toptube and the length of seattube sticking out above the toptube.

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > A friend of mine rides a 58CM center-center frame, but wants to order a new Alu frame that is
    > measured Center-top op the seat tube.
    >
    > How big should he order it in order to get a 58 C-C frame?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Derk

  3. The shop he's getting it from should be going to a bit of trouble to figure that out for him. It's
    not just the frame "size" difference in seat tube length (which doesn't have a whole lot to do with
    whether it's going to fit him or not) but the change in seat tube angle and top tube that makes one
    bike fit vs another. But if you want to see how the "size" changes based on center-to-center vs
    center-to-top measurements, try it on your own bike and see... I suspect you'll come up with about a
    2 cm difference.

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > A friend of mine rides a 58CM center-center frame, but wants to order a new Alu frame that is
    > measured Center-top op the seat tube.
    >
    > How big should he order it in order to get a 58 C-C frame?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Derk

  4. Derk-<< A friend of mine rides a 58CM center-center frame, but wants to order a new Alu frame that
    is measured Center-top op the seat tube.

    How big should he order it in order to get a 58 C-C frame?

    Assuming the original frameset fits him, order the aluminum with the same or close seat tube ANGLE
    and top tube LENGTH. Seat tube length means little.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >A friend of mine rides a 58CM center-center frame, but wants to order a new Alu frame that is
    >measured Center-top op the seat tube. How big should he order it in order to get a 58 C-C frame?

    Depends on how big, the diameter, of the top tube and how the manufacturer measures their frames.
    Some will go to the top of the top tube, some will go to the top of the seatpost extension. A safer
    bet would be to go by top tube length.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  6. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:52:42 +0100, Derk Drukker
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A friend of mine rides a 58CM center-center frame, but wants to order a new Alu frame that is
    >measured Center-top op the seat tube.
    >
    >How big should he order it in order to get a 58 C-C frame?

    Generally there's about a 2cm difference, so based upon this information alone he should be looking
    at a 60cm frame. However, of greater importance is top tube length and seat tube angle. If he likes
    the fit of his current bike he should concentrate on getting the reach (distance from saddle to
    bars) and KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) measurements correct. There's lots of adjustment in
    effective seat tube length (saddle to bottom bracket) available in almost any bike you can think of.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > A friend of mine rides a 58CM center-center frame, but wants to order a new Alu frame that is
    > measured Center-top op the seat tube.
    >
    > How big should he order it in order to get a 58 C-C frame?

    Because modern frames can vary wildly in their length of actual seat tube for a given "size", he
    should get the correct top tube length, which may mean a size smaller or larger than he used to
    ride. This issue is confusing so I wrote this: http://www.yellowjersey.org/talnsize.html

    The photo of the red bike's seatlug should clarify why I am not offering a simple answer.

  8. > A friend of mine rides a 58CM center-center frame, but wants to order a
    >> new Alu frame that is measured Center-top op the seat tube.
    >>
    >> How big should he order it in order to get a 58 C-C frame?

    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/ Try this site for more fitting info Steve

  9. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    Thank you all for your kind help!