Aluminium vs Steel Handlebars

mtb4x4mad

Aug 12, 2003
Just wondering which material would dampen vibration better? Aluminium is usually stiffer, but lightweight handlebars may be different. I am specifically referring to flat mountain bike bars here. Has anyone had any experiences?

Does anyone make steel handlebars?

apart from cheap bikes i can't imagine anyone making steel handle bars due to the weight of them.

As for damping vibration, on a mountain bike thats not really the job of the bars, its the job of the fork and the tyres, if you need the bars to absorb shock then the rest of your setup needs a lot of work

for the record, carbonfibre has some of the best shock absorbing properties of common bike materials and there are plenty of carbon bars out there

Originally posted by mtb4x4mad
Just wondering which material would dampen vibration better? Aluminium is usually stiffer, but lightweight handlebars may be different. I am specifically referring to flat mountain bike bars here. Has anyone had any experiences?

No one makes steel bars anymore unless you go buy a department store bike and take off the 2 pound steel bars they use. If you are worried about vibration dampening get a carbon fiber bar. Most new ones are stronger and lighter than aluminum bars.