Aluminum: Best Frame Material for Het Volk?

Ron Ruff

Guest
Just when I thought that carbon was dominating the middle to upper end
frame market... and would for the forseable future:

"The march of carbon seems to have slowed down in the world of
professional frames with only Rabobank [Colnago], Quickstep [Time],
T-Mobile [Giant] and Credit Agricole [Look] of the ten teams we saw
having all their riders on carbon mounts.

Lotto [Eddy Merckx] and F de J [Lapierre] had both carbon and aluminium
frames on display, all the rest were on good-old aluminium with carbon
forks; as were AG2R but they had a number of fresh out of the box
titanium/carbon-yoked and -forked frames among their 'off the
shelf' Decathlon team bikes. At Het Volk last year one or two of
these were seen in the AG2R pits but disappeared after that."

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3816

It's surprising that with carbon's fabled vibration damping abilities,
they are not using carbon frames... especially on cobbled roads. What
could the reason be... lack of durability? Not that I believe in the
damping... but since the sponsors are marketing expensive carbon
frames, you'd think they'd all be riding them unless there was a good
reason not to.

"Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just when I thought that carbon was dominating the middle to upper end
> frame market... and would for the forseable future:
>
> "The march of carbon seems to have slowed down in the world of
> professional frames with only Rabobank [Colnago], Quickstep [Time],
> T-Mobile [Giant] and Credit Agricole [Look] of the ten teams we saw
> having all their riders on carbon mounts.
>
> Lotto [Eddy Merckx] and F de J [Lapierre] had both carbon and aluminium
> frames on display, all the rest were on good-old aluminium with carbon
> forks; as were AG2R but they had a number of fresh out of the box
> titanium/carbon-yoked and -forked frames among their 'off the
> shelf' Decathlon team bikes. At Het Volk last year one or two of
> these were seen in the AG2R pits but disappeared after that."
>
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3816
>
> It's surprising that with carbon's fabled vibration damping abilities,
> they are not using carbon frames... especially on cobbled roads. What
> could the reason be... lack of durability? Not that I believe in the
> damping... but since the sponsors are marketing expensive carbon
> frames, you'd think they'd all be riding them unless there was a good
> reason not to.

Is it possible that use of Taiwan/Chinese-made aluminum frames with carbon
forks (and the latest trend carbon stays) be *cheaper* to produce and thus
less costly than "expensive" cabon frames? Further, since many of these
bikes appear to be painted, its difficult to tell what material they are
made of. Thus, you don't know what bikes are being used and sponsors can
market their frames at a lower price....

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Ron Ruff <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> Just when I thought that carbon was dominating the middle to upper end
> frame market... and would for the forseable future:
>
> "The march of carbon seems to have slowed down in the world of
> professional frames with only Rabobank [Colnago], Quickstep [Time],
> T-Mobile [Giant] and Credit Agricole [Look] of the ten teams we saw
> having all their riders on carbon mounts.
>
> Lotto [Eddy Merckx] and F de J [Lapierre] had both carbon and
> aluminium frames on display, all the rest were on good-old aluminium
> with carbon forks; as were AG2R but they had a number of fresh out of
> the box titanium/carbon-yoked and -forked frames among their 'off the
> shelf' Decathlon team bikes. At Het Volk last year one or two of
> these were seen in the AG2R pits but disappeared after that."
>
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3816
>
> It's surprising that with carbon's fabled vibration damping abilities,
> they are not using carbon frames... especially on cobbled roads. What
> could the reason be... lack of durability? Not that I believe in the
> damping... but since the sponsors are marketing expensive carbon
> frames, you'd think they'd all be riding them unless there was a good
> reason not to.

Good quote.

Also please note : two thirds of the podium was on carbon. Go figure .....
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Ron Ruff wrote:
> Just when I thought that carbon was dominating the middle to upper end
> frame market... and would for the forseable future:
>
> "The march of carbon seems to have slowed down in the world of
> professional frames with only Rabobank [Colnago], Quickstep [Time],
> T-Mobile [Giant] and Credit Agricole [Look] of the ten teams we saw
> having all their riders on carbon mounts.
>
> Lotto [Eddy Merckx] and F de J [Lapierre] had both carbon and aluminium
> frames on display, all the rest were on good-old aluminium with carbon
> forks; as were AG2R but they had a number of fresh out of the box
> titanium/carbon-yoked and -forked frames among their 'off the
> shelf' Decathlon team bikes. At Het Volk last year one or two of
> these were seen in the AG2R pits but disappeared after that."
>
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3816
>
> It's surprising that with carbon's fabled vibration damping abilities,
> they are not using carbon frames... especially on cobbled roads. What
> could the reason be... lack of durability? Not that I believe in the
> damping... but since the sponsors are marketing expensive carbon
> frames, you'd think they'd all be riding them unless there was a good
> reason not to.

http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5532

There's a Carbon Fiber Shortage - haven't you heard!?

Ron Ruff wrote:
> Just when I thought that carbon was dominating the middle to upper end
> frame market... and would for the forseable future:
>
> "The march of carbon seems to have slowed down in the world of
> professional frames with only Rabobank [Colnago], Quickstep [Time],
> T-Mobile [Giant] and Credit Agricole [Look] of the ten teams we saw
> having all their riders on carbon mounts.
>
> Lotto [Eddy Merckx] and F de J [Lapierre] had both carbon and aluminium
> frames on display, all the rest were on good-old aluminium with carbon
> forks; as were AG2R but they had a number of fresh out of the box
> titanium/carbon-yoked and -forked frames among their 'off the
> shelf' Decathlon team bikes. At Het Volk last year one or two of
> these were seen in the AG2R pits but disappeared after that."
>
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3816
>
> It's surprising that with carbon's fabled vibration damping abilities,
> they are not using carbon frames... especially on cobbled roads. What
> could the reason be... lack of durability? Not that I believe in the
> damping... but since the sponsors are marketing expensive carbon
> frames, you'd think they'd all be riding them unless there was a good
> reason not to.

Aluminum is a great race frame because it is cheap and easy to make
into a custom. PLUS big margins for manufacturers(remember they sponsor
race teams to sell more frames-advertising, win on sunday, sell on
monday type stuff).

As for vibration dampening, I doubt a pro cares. He rides what he is
given. Add tubies and carbon forks, make for a great race bike.

Plus as you mentioned, reliability. Not a lot of carbon rims on pave',
same for carbon frames.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Aluminum is a great race frame because it is cheap and easy to make
> into a custom. PLUS big margins for manufacturers(remember they sponsor
> race teams to sell more frames-advertising, win on sunday, sell on
> monday type stuff).

The lesson, perhaps, is that geometry is more important than material,
in how a bike handles rough roads. Not that this hasn't been discussed
here up the wazzoo...

> As for vibration dampening, I doubt a pro cares. He rides what he is
> given. Add tubies and carbon forks, make for a great race bike.

Tubulars better vibration damping? Perhaps indirectly, due to the lower
pressures allowed in compensation for lower puncture resistance threat.

> Plus as you mentioned, reliability. Not a lot of carbon rims on pave',
> same for carbon frames.

It's amazing how many full-carbon rims I see on non-competitive training rides
over relatively rough roads in San Francisco/Marin.

Dan

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:11:18 GMT, Dan Connelly
<d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>
>> Plus as you mentioned, reliability. Not a lot of carbon rims on pave',
>> same for carbon frames.
>>

>It's amazing how many full-carbon rims I see on non-competitive training rides
>over relatively rough roads in San Francisco/Marin.

http://tinyurl.com/nb28k for cyclocross on carbon rims.
Probably reliable enough for pave.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included