Aluminum heat treatment?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ben, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    To bend some AL tubing (6061 T6) with thin walls I am having some problems without annealing it
    first. But after great research I am finding it hard to find out how to re-temper the metal or heat
    treat it after annealing to the T6 properties. Any one here able to give me the low down of heat
    treatment (preferably a local treatment so I can re-temper the welded sections as well) I am aware
    of oven treating the part and know it would be best, but I am unable to afford the cost and I am not
    in a local that has a oven available.I know I have seen reference to heat treating on Rickey
    Horwitz's sites but never have found the procedure. Help!

    The metal I am bending is 6061 T6 1.75" OD and 0063"wall if that will make a difference.

    Thanks in Advance

    Ben

    Tags:

  2. Sticker Jim

    Sticker Jim Guest

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To bend some AL tubing (6061 T6) with thin walls I am having some problems without annealing it
    > first. But after great research I am finding it hard
    > find out how to re-temper the metal or heat treat it after annealing to
    the
    > T6 properties. Any one here able to give me the low down of heat treatment (preferably a local
    > treatment so I can re-temper the welded sections as well) I am aware of oven treating the part and
    > know it would be best, but
    > am unable to afford the cost and I am not in a local that has a oven available.I know I have seen
    > reference to heat treating on Rickey
    Horwitz's
    > sites but never have found the procedure. Help!
    >
    > The metal I am bending is 6061 T6 1.75" OD and 0063"wall if that will make
    > difference.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Ben

    For 6061:

    O Temper (Annealing)-Heat to 775° F, hold temperature for two to three hours, cool at a rate of 50°
    F per hour down to 500°F, then air cool.

    T4 Temper (Solution Heat Treating)-Heat to 985° F, hold temperature long enough for thorough
    heating, then quench in water.

    T451 Temper-Stress relieve (by stretching) to produce a specified amount of permanent set subsequent
    to solution heat treat-ing and prior to precipitation heat treating.

    T6 Temper (Precipitation Heat Treating)-Heat to 320° F, hold temperature for 18 hours, and then air
    cool. You can also heatto 350° F, hold temperature for 8 hours, and then air cool.

    T651 Temper-Stress relieve (by stretching) to produce a specified amount of permanent set subsequent
    to solution heat treat-ing and prior to precipitation heat treating.

    In the annealed condition, this alloy can be readily cold worked by conventional methods such
    as bending, forming, deep draw-ing, spinning, and stamping. Hot working temperature range is
    500° to 700° F

  3. Check the Easton Aluminum site. Build heavier to avoid treatment. We send our stuff to Newton for
    treatment This adds to the cost of the part. Also adds more risk of damage both during shipment and
    the fact someone else is handling the part. Steve Delaire

    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----