aluminum or carbon???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ilan

Hi all,

im having a difficult decision , should I buy the aluminum cannondale R3000 caad7 or the carbon LOOK
KG381i bike.

is there a better one between them??

please advise

Ilan

HI Ilan... I have had a LOOK KG Carbon for the past 11 years and it still feels like the day I
bought it! Believe me, you will not regret buying a LOOK.... I prefer Carbon over Aluminums anyday!

Crystal

"ilan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> im having a difficult decision , should I buy the aluminum cannondale
R3000
> caad7 or the carbon LOOK KG381i bike.
>
> is there a better one between them??
>
> please advise
>
>
> Ilan

On 7 Apr 2003 06:03:35 -0700, [email protected] (ilan) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>im having a difficult decision , should I buy the aluminum cannondale R3000 caad7 or the carbon
>LOOK KG381i bike.
>
>is there a better one between them??
>
>please advise
>
>
>Ilan
By a Calfee. Better than both.

www.calfeedesign.com

Hi, I've riden on carbon for about the last 3 years till this year, when I moved over to alu with
carbon stays. Honestly I miss the carbon, but I paid about a $1000 less for the alu. Price being
equal I would go with carbon today, that said here is my assessment.

My carbon, trek 5500 handled bumps and road knock just great. It climbed smoothly and was stiff as
sin. It's ride on regular smooth rode, or anytime really, was like riding a block of dead wood.
There was just no life to at all, which is a good thing at times and bad at others.

My new aluminum frame, I dread everytime I see train tracks, it's like riding a tuning fork. Rough
road is just unpleasent. I figure I'll get used to it in a few more weeks though. On smooth road I
enjoy it much more than the carbon it's smooth and sleek and just glides along.

I really miss my old cro-moly frame. It was just like butter over all kinds of terrian. I just wish
it didn't weigh half a ton. I've heard the new steel frames are pretty light and give a nice ride
to boot. In my case I could afford to lose 3 - 4 pounds from my body to really worry about adding
it to my frame.

Just my .2 cents, If you like to ride I'm sure you'll like either one just fine.

--
Ryan

to_ilan-<< im having a difficult decision , should I buy the aluminum cannondale R3000 caad7 or the
carbon LOOK KG381i bike.

Until all the Cannondale problems have been sorted out(yes, I know that the bike division still
exists), I would not get anything Cannondale-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

ryan-<< My new aluminum frame, I dread everytime I see train tracks, it's like riding a tuning fork.
Rough road is just unpleasent.

Wait, carbon rear ends are supposed to take all the 'edge' off aluminum? ya mean that's not true??

Another win for marketing over design...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> Until all the Cannondale problems have been sorted out(yes, I know that the bike division still
> exists), I would not get anything Cannondale-

So you're saying that apart from the financial issues, the bikes are good?

JT

--
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

On 08 Apr 2003 12:37:40 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>ryan-<< My new aluminum frame, I dread everytime I see train tracks, it's like riding a tuning
>fork. Rough road is just unpleasent.
>
>Wait, carbon rear ends are supposed to take all the 'edge' off aluminum? ya mean that's not true??
>
>Another win for marketing over design...
>
>

Not all of them are harsh. I own a custom Rock Lobster hybrid with columbus carbon seat stays, and
the ride is extremely comfortable. Makes my old cro-mo Masi seem like a 4x4.

--

MT

>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> to_ilan-<< im having a difficult decision , should I buy the
aluminum
> cannondale R3000 caad7 or the carbon LOOK KG381i bike.
>
> Until all the Cannondale problems have been sorted out(yes, I know
that the
> bike division still exists), I would not get anything Cannondale-

Urr, what is there about a bike frame that would bring on that sort of statement? Do you think that
Cannondale frames might be badly built right now for some reason?

On the other hand, the Look frames are really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.