Aluminum or Chromoly (high grade steel)???

greenhornbiker

Jan 17, 2008
I am Buying a road bike made of chromoly and hoping i made the right choice over aluminum, anyone have knowledge on this topic?

greenhornbiker said:
I am Buying a road bike made of chromoly and hoping i made the right choice over aluminum, anyone have knowledge on this topic?
what type of riding are you going to do? did you test ride it? If you tested it and you liked it I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing i can tell you is that I went from steel (a very old raleigh) to alum for a lighter bike. There are many articles written about bike metallurgy (google for bike frame metals) each material (steel, alum, titanium, etc) has advantages and disadvantages. There are many beautiful and light steel bikes out there so it all depends on what you want. when i was looking, some of the "nice" (better craftmanship, great paint jobs) and "light" steel frame bikes were actually more expensive than the alum mass produced bikes. As far as longevity is concerned, i feel that if you take care of the bike, a steel frame will last as long or surpass the alum.