Aluminum repair? and material choice in a new frame

JakeGT

Jul 28, 2003
My drivetrain seems to have eaten itself and probably taken my frame along with it!

I ride excuse me road a 1994 trek 1200. Im not entirely sure what happened but i now have a broken chain chewed up upper derailer pulle (it was made of some kind of plastic shimano rx100) and worst of all the derailer hager as been broken completely in two. Im pretty sure this means im the proud owner of a single speed bike but im not sure. So whats the verdict?

And now that im probably in the market for a new frame. what would you guys suggest for material. my options are aluminum or steel. for cost reasons and becuase cost is such in issue(read starving college student) i might be picking up whatever random frame i can afford. what grade of material should the tubes be made out of be it steel or aluminum. Any help would greatly be appreciated

newly a pedestrian

Jake

For your above stated reasons steel is a good choice better than aluminum IMHO. you can find a good steel frame on E-Bay for pennies if you look long enough.

Thanks for the advice steel will probably be my next choice but ive decided to follow up on my joke of now owning a single speed bike and taking steps to make it a decent fixed gear until i can save up for a higher quality bike than i can afford now.

I had the same problem with a Cannondale in days before they made frames with replaceable gear hangers. I was able to buy replacement hanger, cut off damaged part of frame and bolt replacement hanger onto the frame. It wa my first engineering job and worked!

If you have enough undamaged frame left it is quite straightforward. However buying/making replacement might not be such a simple matter

Originally posted by JakeGT
Thanks for the advice steel will probably be my next choice but ive decided to follow up on my joke of now owning a single speed bike and taking steps to make it a decent fixed gear until i can save up for a higher quality bike than i can afford now.

I had the same problem with a Cannondale in days before they made frames with replaceable gear hangers. I was able to buy replacement hanger, cut off damaged part of frame and bolt replacement hanger onto the frame. It wa my first engineering job and worked!

If you have enough undamaged frame left it is quite straightforward. However buying/making replacement might not be such a simple matter

Hello Jake, I too would check e-bay for another frame. Just enter in the search what price range you are looking for so you don't get tempted by other high zoot rigs. I have seen complete Italian bikes go for under $300.00. They were just older models but who cares.

gjam, that exact though has crossed my mind, im an engineering student so that sort of thing is right up my alley, i just was pretty sure strength would be an issue but i may give it a try now. I have access to a maching shop when i get back to school so i should be able to modify something into working, at the very least its a project that combines to of my favorite things

Jake