Aluminum-Steel-Brass Corrosion

SUPER RIDER

Nov 29, 2004
Hello All,

I bought a Mavic Open Pro-Alloy Nipple-Steel Spoked wheelset from a guy at a very good price. My issue is that I live close to the sea, hence my concern about preventative maintenance.

What I'll like to know is where exactly should I lube/oil to prevent corrosion on the wheelset. Is it the alloy nipples/spokes interface only? Or, as I am thinking, the alloy nipples/spoke interface and also the alloy nipples/rim eyelets interface?

Thanks for all responses.

Super

If you are worried about galvanic corrosion, it is not limited to the vincinity of the interface. I would wash those areas more often, though, in order to prevent buildup in the crevices.

SUPER RIDER said:
Hello All,

I bought a Mavic Open Pro-Alloy Nipple-Steel Spoked wheelset from a guy at a very good price. My issue is that I live close to the sea, hence my concern about preventative maintenance.

What I'll like to know is where exactly should I lube/oil to prevent corrosion on the wheelset. Is it the alloy nipples/spokes interface only? Or, as I am thinking, the alloy nipples/spoke interface and also the alloy nipples/rim eyelets interface?

Thanks for all responses.

Super
Oil and lubrication won't prevent electrolysis. Rinsing with fresh water will.
If any electrolytic corrosion occurs, it will occur in the brass parts first, due to the zinc content of the brass. The salt content of the atmosphere can also cause corrosion on its own of course, regardless of the presence of metals of varying "nobility".
I've kept an old folding bike on my permanently moored boat for 5 years. Apart from surface rust on the frame, there has only been very minor surface corrosion of the aluminium parts which hasn't affected the operation of the bike.
If you are concerned about the brass eyelets corroding then you could periodically remove your tyres and rinse the inside of the rim with fresh water occasionally. You may get a little surface corrosion of any non-anodised alloy parts but I think it unlikely. If you ride the bike regularly you will be giving the bike a quick inspection pretty regularly anyway, certainly you will notice corrosion (if it occurs) in time to take remedial action.
I've had a car rust out on me, due to constant salt spray, while my bikes have remained in pristine condition. I hope this sets your mind at rest.
Enjoy riding. :)